PDA

View Full Version : Starting Canvas Work

DA'SeLMeR''
06-28-2004, 11:51 PM
i am starting some canvas work, i have tried before, but i am realy gettin back into it, what kind of shit should i buy to spice it up.....and i dont mean to ride a jock, but i want some style in the direction of geeze, .... post up some work, or tips, or excessories i should rack... thanks

The Most Sadistic
06-28-2004, 11:57 PM
stop making threads everytime i come on this site there is a new one and there all by you

Scaf.
06-29-2004, 12:14 AM
well then give him advice and he will stop.

ermex
06-29-2004, 12:16 AM
i would answer, but since i dont know.. heh sorry

DA'SeLMeR''
06-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Scaf.@Jun 28 2004, 11:14 PM
well then give him advice and he will stop.

:lol: haha exactly my point........BAM

oblong
07-02-2004, 05:56 PM
canvas board,
2 pack at michaels for there brand is 12 dollars but with a 40% it takes of a few bucks. i use decocolor paint markers and smoe painter on mine and i jsut spray the background with desired spraypaint. its not that hard. i had to figure that shit out for myself

DA'SeLMeR''
07-02-2004, 06:48 PM
thanks.....i guess.... i will just mess around wit it

cyens
07-02-2004, 07:11 PM
dollard store

.5kank.*scK.
07-02-2004, 08:10 PM
wait so for canvas work you guys dont use all spray paint? where do you use the paint markers for? for most of the lines or just the fine ones?

oblong
07-02-2004, 09:01 PM
here we go
first oif all you will need

first
http://www.lougehrigsdisease.net/images/brain.jpg
a brain

second
spraypaint

third

good paint markers

and 4th
http://www.skillcentre.on.ca/images/SkillLogo.gif
a large amount of skill

AXIS
07-02-2004, 09:10 PM
You can either buy some canvases, fairly expensive, or you can leanr to make them, a lot cheaper.

As for the pens, i use decos and painters touch, but make sure not to write with decos on top of decos, fucks right up. Sharpies work well too ( the black for 3d).

DA'SeLMeR''
07-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by AXIS@Jul 2 2004, 08:10 PM
You can either buy some canvases, fairly expensive, or you can leanr to make them, a lot cheaper.

As for the pens, i use decos and painters touch, but make sure not to write with decos on top of decos, fucks right up. Sharpies work well too ( the black for 3d).
good sharpie tip, i will use it, and thanks for the visuals......believe it or not that really does help!!... i have like 65 prismas coming soon, so that will rock, do they work over paint?.???........i have a bunch of racked markers, but no colors, just black and white!!!..... and how do you make your own canvas????...

AXIS
07-02-2004, 09:21 PM
to make your own canvas you need to get some wood and make a frame, make sure its square.(like 90 degree angles)

then you can buy some canvas in big rolls i think...and just stretch it over the frame...get a staple gun to hold the canvas on.

I'll look for something on google.

oblong
07-02-2004, 09:22 PM
decos go over eachother
yuo need many coats and jsut to let it dry and some patience
u dont make your own becasue the tools alone will cost you over 100 dollars. i get the 2 packs of michaels brand stretched canvas baord for 6 dollars that is like 3 dollars each

AXIS
07-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Canvases (http://painting.about.com/library/weekly/aa012102a.htm)

Sounds like a fair a bit of work...but worth it.

AXIS
07-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah, i agree oblong, there is a lot of shit you need to get.

DA'SeLMeR''
07-02-2004, 10:22 PM
hey thanks for the info oblong, and axis, i apreciate it,... im gonna hit it up.. would prismas work, i havnt used them before, i cant rack em (you have to ask for them) but i bought around 65 off of ebay just barely 20$ or sumthin like that...........but anyhoo would they work on a spray painted canvas..?

oblong
07-02-2004, 10:26 PM
if you do like 100 a year then mabye its worth it
plus you need alot of wood working tools
u have to cut slitsin the wood and to that you would need a type of router

oblong
07-02-2004, 10:27 PM
sorry i dont think that prismas would go over a painted canvas board
they may go over un unpainted one but really i dont know how it would work

dageotb
12-15-2004, 06:56 PM
so you want to draw canvases well it a lot of work buy its worth it

1st. buy a masonite board.. or a canvase board or a real canvase

2nd. buy gesso or out door semi flat water base white paint make shure you thin it out correctly more that milk

3rd. once you prime the canvase or board and let it dry for one hour then use a yellow water color marker or a yellow paint marker to sketch out your lettering or what ever you doing .......

4th.. i dont need to explain what type of spray cap's you need but let me tell you any way get the gold belton cap's beacuse they are the most skinny cap to use beside the cap lid trick then start painting and see what happen i you became a famous artist yo just hit off with 2% of the earning's lol so then peace out and question peace contact me at dageotb@graffiti.net

DNA
12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
i went to michaels and i bought a 6 pack of Deco Colors, i also bought some cheap-ass small canvas boards, do i paint them with spraypaint, let them dry, and then i pumped the paint pen like it said to and gushes of paint flowed out. tyied this with the other ones and they did it too. then when i tried to write, do the outline, the pens kept not witing and stalling.
what was i dong wrong? was it the markers? has anyone else had this problem with decos?

i_eat_clam
12-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by DNA@Dec 16 2004, 08:05 PM
i went to michaels and i bought a 6 pack of Deco Colors, i also bought some cheap-ass small canvas boards, do i paint them with spraypaint, let them dry, and then i pumped the paint pen like it said to and gushes of paint flowed out. tyied this with the other ones and they did it too. then when i tried to write, do the outline, the pens kept not witing and stalling.
what was i dong wrong? was it the markers? has anyone else had this problem with decos?
dont use decos.... use Painters paint pens... they are watter based.

ACE512
12-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by .5kank.*scK.@Jul 2 2004, 07:10 PM
wait so for canvas work you guys dont use all spray paint? where do you use the paint markers for? for most of the lines or just the fine ones?
for the fine lines and edges if we dont have the real skill to do it ourselves.

ACE512
12-17-2004, 12:05 PM
like i was saying the best of the best dont use paint markers but pure paint.
heres a guy named misk1 this guy is crazy good. im sure you have seen him i got the link to his sight from artcrimes...

http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5883/sanstitre1copie4vx.jpg
http://img141.exs.cx/img141/6706/12127cq.jpg
http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5682/12136yx.jpg
http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5906/12146ck.jpg
http://img141.exs.cx/img141/349/12153yu.jpg

so yeah look at that and see the supplies he is using and use them lol.

i_eat_clam
12-17-2004, 12:58 PM
the hell are you talkin about ^^.. thats more like a FUCKIN ACTUAL PIECE then canvas work...

DNA
12-17-2004, 07:28 PM
yeah, that is the size of an actual peice

joust
12-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Canvas board is the shit. I like to drip wax onto my canvas' (i know it sounds kinda weird) but if you paint over some of the wax it makes this really cool 3d kinda effect.

infer one
12-17-2004, 11:45 PM
what i plan on doing is buying a big canvas, its about the size of a piece of plie wood, 100 bills at micheals, and using spray paint of what ever color desired, use certaint caps for certaint effects, decos are my fav. for high detail on small pieces... and there you have it, i dont know the whole price for that, im thinking that the price is around 150 bills, depending on how much color you use.

ESNED
12-19-2004, 03:16 AM
make your own canvas from scratch its cheaper and not hard

canaru
01-08-2005, 02:29 AM
i didnt get exactly which markers works over spraypaint....and im talking like one coat.....without grabing the actual paint and shit.....

maybe someone can post pics or something

"awesome"ONE
01-08-2005, 08:26 PM
In answer to the question of this thread, I'd think you'd need to get a canvas from a crafts store, a few decos (or any paint pen of your choice for that matter) and just a little bit of paint and your ready to go.

vanillasqueeze
04-23-2005, 09:55 PM
ok i brought this thread back up and revived becuase i need some back up on my work

ok for all you canvas freaks out there.... i love dark backrounds, and im painting a pure black backround right now.... but thats just it, its just a backround and how do i put a forground on it when i cant see the lines im sketchin???....that means i pretty much just freestyle it.... which is what i always end up doing....

so my question is is there any type of material i can use to sketch on a dark backround but still be able to erase my mistakes?...

hit me up if you know..

Slob
04-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by oblong@Jul 2 2004, 04:56 PM
canvas board,
2 pack at michaels for there brand is 12 dollars but with a 40% it takes of a few bucks.
what the fuck, $12, its only $8 in vancouver.... 16X20 canvas. 2 pack...

anyway. rack loads of markers, whatever paint based markers you can find, buy some canvas at any art store, the pre stretched shit is fine unless your doing lots of canvas' or large ones.

i started using acrylics to paint backgrounds, just however you want to cover it. takes longer to dry, but is designed to last on canvas. i've heard spraypaint cracks after a while, but some of my first paintings are still fine and they were all done with spray paint.

and VANILLA, just do it in paint pen like you would on a wall( if you've ever done that). rought outlines... paint pens work a lot like spray paint, most colors cover other colors fine, like white over black or anyother color.... figure it out

MrCzar
04-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by DA'SeLMeR''@Jun 28 2004, 10:51 PM
i am starting some canvas work, i have tried before, but i am realy gettin back into it, what kind of shit should i buy to spice it up.....and i dont mean to ride a jock, but i want some style in the direction of geeze, .... post up some work, or tips, or excessories i should rack... thanks
You need to prime your canvas with Gesso. if you don't your canvas will eventually rot. No joke.

MitNGEK
04-24-2005, 01:40 AM
whatever is on there righ tnow paint over ot woth a roller and bucket paint then let it dry and paint ur shit

moneyone
04-24-2005, 04:05 AM
talent.

vanillasqueeze
04-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Slob@Apr 23 2005, 09:02 PM
and VANILLA, just do it in paint pen like you would on a wall( if you've ever done that). rought outlines... paint pens work a lot like spray paint, most colors cover other colors fine, like white over black or anyother color.... figure it out
haha yeah, but all my damn markers suck ass, i press down and they explode........oh well i will just keep playin around...thnx slob

and WTF is gesso?

MrCzar
04-24-2005, 07:11 PM
It's canvas primer *no not paint* It prevents the weight of the paint and the chemcials in the paint from eating away the canvas. If you just do straight paint, the canvas rots away in 2-3 years.

vanillasqueeze
04-25-2005, 10:22 PM
not a bad idea, but how come everyone says they will rot, i have two year old canvas's and they are in the same exact shape as they were the day after i created them.....

have you witnissed this first hand?

KAY-lo_use_RUST-o
04-25-2005, 10:34 PM
slow slow slem *sp*lol i forget..

the canvas u buy from the store are already primed... u only need to prime it if its 100% fabric... if u feel that theres some coating on it. then its primed...

daze-one
05-16-2005, 03:14 PM
try that woodcraft shit those mothafuckers work like acharm!it like their specilized 4 canvas

daze-one
05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
what u wanna do is use any type of soft led sketching pencil.try an ebonee pencil, ull be able 2 c it because it like glares with any light hitting it.

das one
05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ACE512@Dec 17 2004, 12:05 PM
like i was saying the best of the best dont use paint markers but pure paint.
heres a guy named misk1 this guy is crazy good. im sure you have seen him i got the link to his sight from artcrimes...

http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5883/sanstitre1copie4vx.jpg
http://img141.exs.cx/img141/6706/12127cq.jpg
http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5682/12136yx.jpg
http://img141.exs.cx/img141/5906/12146ck.jpg
http://img141.exs.cx/img141/349/12153yu.jpg

so yeah look at that and see the supplies he is using and use them lol.
2 things....

first off misk is the fucking man!!!!!!

2nd off whats your guys favortie brand of marker and where do you get em????

Grigory Rasputin
07-27-2005, 12:53 AM

FēD
07-27-2005, 01:33 AM
be cheep, buy a rol of canvas, buy some gesso, buy a big piece of plywood, some staples, maby a staple gun, scretch that shit and when your done pic the taples off shove it in a frame or some shit, no wood workin required, i dunno if the paint would crack if you moves the canvas around though

Slob
07-28-2005, 04:19 AM
yo if your markers are exploding its due too altitude shit or something because they are manufactured somewhere else... im high... but no honestly shake the marker up real good, hold it tip up and pump it with the lid. you have too wait a few, but it lets out the pressure, and they wont explode.

slob canvas from 2003
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/slobtastik/treecanvas.jpg

MoNkEy
07-28-2005, 06:24 AM
slob man ur style is so nice amazes me lol. Also very nice canvas. I just got myself an airbrush so im gonna use that for some canvases. Basically it will be a bit like a mini spray can so i can do fades and shit :)

Rogan
07-28-2005, 12:31 PM
yeah im doing my first canvas peice as well right now and i use decos and permapaque for the thin lines but i need some help..ive so far written my tag out in gold letters with purple 3d/shadow thing but theres a lot of extra space and i got ideas to fill it but cant think of a good color to go with gold and purple besides white which isnt an option considering the canvas is white

Rogan
07-28-2005, 12:33 PM
slob that shits amazing dude...you ever go to art school or anything or is that just natural talent...wish i could do shit that good

resonatx
07-28-2005, 09:17 PM
ay u shuldnt use those permpaque.... they cant b whipped off with yer finger, so like if u put it down and sum1 rubs there hand or accidently rubs it it will fuck up yer peice. i ve had bad experiences with em'

Slob
07-28-2005, 09:55 PM
i don't use airbrush for fades, too much effort.

and no i never went too school, i've just painted tones of canvas, and keep finding new things too work on. canvas painting really taught me a lot about piecing on walls.

Rogan
07-28-2005, 10:18 PM
nice slob, i still think that stuffs amazingly good ...and resonatx i dont use the permapaques on walls just blackbook and canvas

Rogan
07-28-2005, 10:59 PM
oh yeah...i forgot to mention i decided to ptu alight blue in with that gold and purple i just aksed my brother cause i wasnt gettin a response in time...peace...

Rogan
07-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by DNA@Dec 16 2004, 11:05 PM
yeah i know exactly what your talkign about man...you just gotta shake them and wait liek 15 seconds then theyll start flowing gtreat again

MoNkEy
07-31-2005, 10:40 AM
slob i got it for doin hats. trainers and shirts but i thought why not use it for canvases. Im gonna do a biomech style 3d and i need a lot of shading so it should help with that canvas.

kayos-s
04-15-2007, 02:20 AM
go to micheals grow some balls and rack decos,woodcrafts or garden markers even canvases if u got the guts then go and rack the paint u need and its allll free :lol: then u have all u need to do a canvas

acidconceptone
04-15-2007, 11:50 AM
kayos-s DONT BRING BACK DEAD THREADS LIKE THIS ITS BEEN DEAD FOR 2 YEARS. fuck man how many pages did you have do dig thru before u found this and said "hey this is from 2 years ago but ill mention racking deco's from michaels cause im the shit!" i mean whatever and everything but this is an old fucking thread let it die

sheistbugzNY
04-15-2007, 05:04 PM
did u like think that it was from the other day that guy is nevr gonna see dis thred agen and ur talking to him like its live.

-=:Base216:=-
06-14-2012, 04:38 AM
go to lowes or home depot and buy a 4x8 foot masonite sheet and have them cut it to your desired canvas size ...they do it for free! go to walmart and buy a gallon oflight satin or semi gloss paint.cheaper in the discount section from mixing wrong colors... buy a hand saw/miter box set for like 10 bucks and some nails and a hammer. use 1x2 inch trim wood to make your frames..all well under 100 bucks!!! and you dont need all the wood working tools like those dudes are telling you! or go tp pat catans or michaels and get the canvas multi packs..you can get 16x20 five packs for 20 bucks. dont do what evweryone else is doing! use mixed media for your pieces!