PDA

View Full Version : Is Graffiti Art Or Vandalism

CAMPER DOM
05-11-2005, 04:04 PM
hi, i hope its ok to post this on your forums and i apologise if this isnt alowed, ive put it in the wrong forum etc...

im a first year degree student from sout east essex college in essex in the UK.

im currently working on an essay looking at people opinions weather graffiti is an art form or if its vandalism. obviously i relise most of your opinions will be slightly bias but i would really like to hear what you have to say about the subject either way.

thanks alot for reading this, hope to hear your replys soon!

cheers

Dom :)

Myner
05-11-2005, 04:13 PM

the_uniBOMBER
05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Good Afternoon (http://bombingscience.com/graffitiforum/index.php?showtopic=40)

This topic has been brought up many times before. Although there is no specific thread it's best to ask in there.

Crack Killz
05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Both.

When you see Graffiti / Art on trains, cars, tunnels, etc.. To the city that called "vandalisim" hence the name "vandals"

But when you see Graffiti such as pices were there are like millions of arrows coming out and such.. that more considerd of Art (legale), not vandalisim..

Alchohlics_Anonymous
05-11-2005, 04:19 PM
its vandalism. anyone who says its art is prolly 13 years old and toy.

Myner
05-11-2005, 04:22 PM
its art, i swear it is.
:angry:

Aven
05-11-2005, 04:23 PM
I consider graffiti an art as long as it looks good to the eye....if its just a shitty peice that isnt even remotly readable i consider it more vandalism....but i still respect it

sp4de
05-11-2005, 04:28 PM
When used in a non-legal sense it is called "vandalism", when it is used in a legal sense it is called what ever you want to call it (eg. Art, etc.). Plain and Simple... but many people don't tend to think so.. many people think it is all considered vandalism. :wacko:

Zoydesk.905
05-11-2005, 04:31 PM
graffiti is both its a form of art just an illegal form of it

YANKNY-718
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
I will say both, it depends how you use it ;)

DismGraffiti
05-11-2005, 04:40 PM
graffiti is vandalism. the definition is writing on walls without permission. . it is only art when you do it like a business. like people call you and ask for something to be painted.

CAMPER DOM
05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
cool, thanks for the replys everyone, i was expecting most people to just say yeah its art etc because your grafiti artists yourself, ( it has on other graffiti forums)

i realy apreciate you replying honestly, thanks again :D

Dom

TricksForKids
05-11-2005, 04:48 PM
well..i was talkin to some1 bout this the other day and the thing is, most graffiti artists lol@graffiti and artists" do graffiti because its art, and becuase its illegal..my personal opinion neways..but alos..things like billboards, used by media companies without licences..is exactly the saem as "graffiti" as defined by law, we just dont recognize it becuase weve come to accept it as normal.

Peace

sabe
05-11-2005, 04:55 PM
my opinion: its both.

yes, it IS vandalism, obviously. but simply because it is done illegally doesn not mean it has no artistic value. art is expression. When you paint a piece, you are doing more than trying to vandalize the wall, you are trying to create something that looks good to you. when you bomb, you are still expressing yourself. art does not HAVE to be pretty, and lots of great art isn&#39;t. Paublo Piccaso&#39;s painting "the aficionado" (<- i hope i spelt that right) is a fairly ugly painting in my opinion. yet no one would say its not art.

art does not have to be created legally nor does it have to be pretty.

sabe
05-11-2005, 05:05 PM
marcel duchamp (again, i&#39;m bad with spellings) hung a urinal in an art gallery years ago and called it art. He also took a print of the Mona Lisa and penciled in a mustache, and put THAT in a gallery. who has the right to say it is or isn&#39;t art? that&#39;s what is great about art. its in the eyes of the beholder.

Skop
05-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Graffiti is vandilism, unless it is done on a legal wall, then it isn&#39;t vandilism howevre it may also not be art....Depends on how you look at it I guess.

sabe
05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
i don&#39;t understand how people can&#39;t see it was both. Legality is nowhere in the definition of art.

meks
05-11-2005, 05:18 PM
retarded&#33; graffiti is vandalism just with letters no questions.

Shyd...
05-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Didn&#39;t gesus make a thread about this? It is like 12 pages long.

glue
05-11-2005, 05:21 PM
you guys are idiots, its both. it being art has nothing to do with it being vandalism. i could sketch on peoples property and its still art but its also vandalism.

bigbomba'
05-11-2005, 05:22 PM
vandlism

glue
05-11-2005, 05:22 PM
i actually read some of this and a few of you know whats up.

SmileAtDeath
05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
graffiti is gay get a career.

who cares stop discussing bullshit and just paint.

YANKNY-718
05-11-2005, 05:39 PM
hell yeah i agree whit you ^^^^^^^^^

YANKNY-718
05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SmileAtDeath@May 11 2005, 05:25 PM

you&#39;re a gay.

fuck you, graffiti is not gay,

o shit, sorry but i have to say this again

fff uuu ccc kkk you :D

FOEone
05-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Graffiti is vandalism before it is anything else. Period.

glue
05-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by FOEone@May 11 2005, 05:44 PM
Graffiti is vandalism before it is anything else. Period.
you wouldnt know you dont do any. haha
actually i dont really look it as art but it is in a way.
who cares though.

SmileAtDeath
05-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by YANKNY&#045;718+May 11 2005, 05:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YANKNY&#045;718 &#064; May 11 2005, 05:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SmileAtDeath@May 11 2005, 05:25 PM

you&#39;re a gay.

fuck you, graffiti is not gay,

o shit, sorry but i have to say this again

fff uuu ccc kkk you :D [/b][/quote]
you are a moron. SARCASM. look it up. why would I say it was gay then say stop discussing bullshit and go paint if I really thought it was gay. We have some real fucking Einsteins on here. Is it really that important to argue weather its art or vandalism? Who the fuck cares. Its whatever it is to the person doing it.

dez1
05-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Alchohlics_Anonymous@May 11 2005, 04:19 PM
its vandalism. anyone who says its art is prolly 13 years old and toy.
m8 i couldent have put it better myself..........

ASEN
05-11-2005, 06:13 PM
grafitti is vartalism.

Skore_One
05-11-2005, 06:33 PM
the reeper and the roofer

sian
05-11-2005, 06:34 PM
even if its illegal I don&#39;t really think its vandalism if it dosnt damage or cover up anything that people need to read and just changes the colors on a surface

SpLiTbomber
05-11-2005, 06:35 PM
ok this is a really easily depated topic.... ill put it how i think it is

its illegal art

...both

say its on a freight, a wall, a building, a car, a store, a window
technicly its vandalism, but who said it cant b art at da same time

and then there is &#39;legal&#39; graffiti, and prints n things for sale, or a sketch in a notebook, dats just art, cuz if the shit is ures or ure allowed to draw on it, its not vandalism...
... cuz vandalism is defacing publik property

but ya w/e

ehobo
05-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by glue@May 11 2005, 05:21 PM
you guys are idiots, its both. it being art has nothing to do with it being vandalism. i could sketch on peoples property and its still art but its also vandalism.
what he sed

sprague
05-11-2005, 06:48 PM
i think there is a difference between graffiti and vandalism. vandalism is someone writing somethin stupid like "fuck you" on someone&#39;s fence. it takes no skill and isnt impressive at all. but when you see some kick ass picture with bright colors and kick ass lettering, then you got art and self expression, not vandalism

skateparadise
05-11-2005, 08:01 PM
SPRAQUE - ANYTHING that is put onto someone&#39;s property illgally it is graffiti, it is vandalism, it is distruction of property. it is not suppose to be there. to you it might be "art" to you because you draw and shit on your paper and deface walls, tains, fences, cars, buses, ect. because you dont relize its illeagle. it may be an everyday thing to you, or a every weekend thing to you or a once a moth thing i dunno. you might just draw and say its graffiti.
i forgot who was interviewd, but i read it, it was on artcrimes. and that person said something along these lines.... " that graffiti shit you see on t"shirts pants and shit (referring to jenco clothing co.) thats not graffiti. its art. a tagger didnt tag that shirt, pants or whatever illeagly. he was paid. its art." its eaither on there legal or illegal... legal is art.... illegal is graffiti. even if it is saying FUCK YOU on a fence or it&#39;s just plan hand writing. its graffiti, defacinng property, distruction of property, vandlism. maybe i will take time out if my time and find the interview.

i know this is long and i dont care if anyone doesnt read it..... but the dude who made the thread should read it... it could help him

for me...

anything that is put onto someones property legal is art.
illeagally is graffiti, vandalism, defacing property, destruction of property.

STONES ONES
05-11-2005, 08:04 PM
im not usually any one to be a bitch....but this is the worst question i have ever heard.

skateparadise
05-11-2005, 08:17 PM
i think he is from collage and the has a paper they have to turn in. ALOT of kids, people or whatever come here to ask us what we think about it.

its prolly not his question. its prolly the stupid teacher who is askin.

set this up as a poll... that would prolly be a little better. (this goes to the guy who started the thread.)

Gecko
05-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Its moSt DefinitEly a form of Art, When yOu see a bomb or a mural it makes you feel like sittin&#39; BaCk and adMiring the person who made it. ItS onLy vandaliSm if you just slap tag a dumpster or soMe SHIT like tHat&#33;

Shyd...
05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
van·dal·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vndl-zm)
n.
Willful or malicious destruction of public or private property.

Even if you think its art its not unless its a legal wall or your an idiot and paint your house. Gecko even doing a sweet piece is vandalism maybe not to you or any other writers but it still is vandalism.

FOEone
05-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Gecko@May 11 2005, 08:34 PM
Its moSt DefinitEly a form of Art, When yOu see a bomb or a mural it makes you feel like sittin&#39; BaCk and adMiring the person who made it. ItS onLy vandaliSm if you just slap tag a dumpster or soMe SHIT like tHat&#33;
4 R34lZ? 1s j00 teH Gr4ff1x0rZ? 4LL t0Yz d13&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;11&#33;&#33;1one&#33;&#33;&#33;juan&#33;&#33;&#33;11&#33;

fiction
05-11-2005, 09:12 PM
fuck this shit. what a dumb questoin.

voice
05-11-2005, 09:33 PM
see this question is so hard cuz u can argue for hours bout this but to me i think it iz pure VANDAILSM....

A.V.C

musk
05-11-2005, 10:15 PM
just because it&#39;s vandilism doesnt mean it cant be art at the same time

Live4TheWall
05-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Theres a thread on this. Im not getting into it again. Fuck that, and Fuck this thread.

kildaillest
05-11-2005, 11:28 PM
ok...lets set it straight...im sure everyone has seen,and brobably ownes style wars(if u dont have it..u need it)...graffiti has different mediums..is it an art...YES...but at the same time..it IS vamdalism...you are painting someones property,you ARE costing them money to get it removed...now obviously writers dont quite have a concience but....it depends how the graffiti is....fuck its like asking..whats the meaning of life,or some b/s question...cuz it doesnt matter,when you do graffiti your not worried about,vandalism or art..your painting...so maybe your best bet is to write another paper

NukeOne
05-12-2005, 03:38 AM
Ok look graffiti like the name its vandalism if its on the streets on the tube or so on but if u get it on a legal wall or so on u can call it art but legal graffiti in it self is not graffiti its not how graffiti was ment to be
it is supposed to be in on the streets in the metro in ur face and so on thats where it belongs&#33;
Graffiti is vandalism and thats it&#33;

Tails0nE
05-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by the_uniBOMBER@May 11 2005, 04:16 PM
Good Afternoon (http://bombingscience.com/graffitiforum/index.php?showtopic=40)

This topic has been brought up many times before. Although there is no specific thread it&#39;s best to ask in there.

didnt gesus post a topic like this before?

Spitz
05-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I say if its a well done piece, its art, but if its a gang tag or some shitty throwup, its vandalism.

Crack Killz
05-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Does it really matter?

Crack Killz
05-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ASEN@May 11 2005, 06:13 PM
grafitti is vartalism.
True.

Spitz
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
^yes it does i hate gangs.

Ume
05-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Spitz@May 13 2005, 10:30 AM
^yes it does i hate gangs.
people hate things they don&#39;t understand, i bet you 500 billion dollars that if you were in a well known gang that you would say gangs kick ass, and not what your saying now. Like the people that hate graffiti, they don&#39;t understand it, so they say it&#39;s ugly, stupid, and pointless.

sp4de
05-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ume@May 13 2005, 10:44 AM
i bet you 500 billion dollars that if you were in a well known gang that you would say gangs kick ass, and not what your saying now.
This is not true, I have been in and wanted out, got out. When you join you signing a death sentence, I can name of countless statistics on why Gang members don&#39;t truly enjoy being in. Now don&#39;t get me wrong some do love it, but if you actually study and experience it than it is a different story(many more want out, or peace). Yes, I have left one and I have been studying gangs for about a year or more. And I never really liked gangs just the friendship, so f&#39;n stop think&#39;n you know what your talk&#39;n about when you don&#39;t. Not everyone is alike, f&#39;n stereotypes. But this is not what this forum is about.

But as far as Graf being illegal, look at where it came from. I&#39;ve seen studies go as far back as the era where people would write in caves,etc. known as hieroglyphic, writings in the acient days. But that time it wasn&#39;t vandalism it was writing, not even art, it was a voice, a language. Graffiti became illegal when we named it graffiti and made it illegal. So it is vandalism today, due to the law. But if it used on anything else where the law can not call it illegal, it is not graffiti, it is art, a language, retarded, etc. Graffiti is defined by todays law as illegal,vandalism. Art is not unless this "art" is used as a tool for illegal use. In definition it is I quote:

"graffiti
n : a rude decoration inscribed on rocks or walls

graf·fi·to
n. pl. graf·fi·ti (-t )
A drawing or inscription made on a wall or other surface, usually so as to be seen by the public. Often used in the plural."

No where does it say it is illegal, unless the term is used with the law. The law uses it as an expression of definition. Graffiti is a word used as a tool, used by the law it is vandalism. Used in any other way, think of it what you want. So when you have a view, back that crap up or have people think you have no f&#39;n clue why you say it. I don&#39;t give a crap enough to continue...

EZE
05-13-2005, 02:20 PM
To us writters graffiti is an art, to the fucken twats who class it as an eye-sore its vandalisum, its a personal opinion to wot its classed as im my veiw its art...the majority of it anyways

riddleboxxmcl
04-18-2006, 10:00 PM
i dont think graffiti is art un less its and amazing peice tags and throwies arent there more for getting ur name up

i agree with eze to us its art to them its an "eye sore"

sibil juggalo
04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
man ur a dumbass if your good throw ups and tags can be art your supposed to express yourself through anything thats what makes it art

Alyte
04-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by riddleboxxmcl@Apr 18 2006, 10:00 PM
i dont think graffiti is art un less its and amazing peice tags and throwies arent there more for getting ur name up

i agree with eze to us its art to them its an "eye sore"
if it&#39;s well thought out and cleanly executed..its art

vartilism...i like that

LuStErOcKs
04-19-2006, 09:42 AM
graffiti is vandelism if u hit up shit without permission, Pieces or not, if u got permission to do something and do murals shits 100% art

The 5th one
04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
lusts work = art

Ginsu
04-19-2006, 02:30 PM
graffiti is an art. art cant be defined as just doing it as a busness. its just like any other art but for your cities injoyment. anyone who sais that it is vandalism is absolutly right. the vandilism is the art. would you rather see a painting that is all red (and there is one) and say its for the message or a piece of urban art on the streets and see ones sweat, blood and tears into a single piece or multiple pieces of aw inspiring art. graffiti is inevitable for generations graffiti has been around, no matter how manny of us stop more toys will form the next generation. us toy will get pushed by the elite to become better to show toys what it is to be an art criminal and what it is to be an artist, to put your soul into the art and feel that you have accomplished something. this way of art will be rememberd and practiced for generations to come.

Msfyt
04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
*bump*

taxus
04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
This thread is stupid.
Illegal graffiti is vandalism. Legal graffiti is art.

"Scar" DtK
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
graffiti's not a crime...its a lifestyle

FidelGastro
12-06-2007, 06:48 PM
a lifestyle of crime

graffiti is vandalism, if it wasnt and you didnt get a rush from it would most people be in the game? nope.

"Scar" DtK
12-06-2007, 06:53 PM
i didnt think of that..that is true..half of our shit wouldnt be as good cause we wouldnt get the rush...thanks fidel

Bombsquad13
12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
okay heres what i got to say..

graffiti in its self is art no matter what people say it is art..
were and when you do go bombing and doing graff on illegal walls then it is considerd vandilisim or however you spell it..

but theres is always the topic on why is it so contriversial (agian however you spell it)
but we will keep that for another forum =]

...Syerf
12-06-2007, 07:03 PM
ginsu has a good look on things...graffiti is art and vandalism....art in the eyes of those who enjoy it, and vandalism in the eyes of the law and those who oppose it. Personally, i see it as an art form bcuz it takes talent, practice and time to get to the point of recognition. If you gotta work that hard at gettin somethin to look good(personal style, colors ect) it could be considered some kind of talent, in this case under the category of design, which in larger context is art. Its only art on paper, but when it gets up on a wall, it becomes illegal, and that "categorized" as vandalism. So its both...but not everyone sees it as an art, simply because it is illegal, or the fact that they just dont like it, which to me, is just not being that open minded....

PG_Miscreant
12-06-2007, 07:46 PM
can it not be both??? graffiti is graffiti, though the vast majority of "tagging" is just stupid petty vandalism. if its legal its not graffiti

"Riot"
12-06-2007, 08:03 PM
pointless thread

YES,graffiti is a crime.
YES,it is an artform.

/rant.

muse2
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
your stupid, its many things to many people, if you think its vandalism fine, but dont call us who take it seriously toys, it just means that our "art" will come out more meaningful than yours......ass

S!KE
12-07-2007, 02:07 AM
to me graffiti is art and will always be fuckin art.

"vandalism" is dumb fucks who write the most random shit like "XIV" or "CRIP" etc...

this is what i think.. so if it effects you in anyway it's not my problem.. :)

it's like hunting.. you can do it at some places and at other its illegal and a crime.

Oink.
12-07-2007, 02:18 AM
illegal, art,stealing.

guy graffiti is an illegal art no matter how you want to swing it your a criminal. Steal the paint, drugs to sketch and "vandalism" s;all the same shit.

speak504
12-07-2007, 07:07 AM
its art

Slushi
12-07-2007, 07:09 AM
graffiti's not a crime...its a lifestyle

Now thats just ridiculous.

>HipHopism
12-08-2007, 10:54 AM
ummmmm...if your bombing and destroying shit with just throwups n tags....its not really art to me...when i do walls and canvases, i consider it art

Case-One
12-08-2007, 03:17 PM
this is a great question, i'm an art student at a tech college here in my town and my design teacher absolutly loves graff and appreciates it to its fullest. see graffiti is a combination of both art and vandilism, for one the majority of writers respect their city and love their grounds, they are just marking what they love. Now on ther other hand you see MS13 and other gang tags that look like shit, these guys are just showing their gangs grounds and i think that shit is stupid fucking vandilism plus their about killing and just stupid thug shit, but when you see a drippy tag or a fucking vibrant peice theres no doubt thats art, even though it's pretty much vandilism it looks better than some 13 year old writting his GD or what the fuck ever gang their ins name.

toxcnine**
12-08-2007, 03:23 PM
its both

Huh
12-08-2007, 09:06 PM
graffittit is definatley art, sure the toys that go around and tag on everything they can see even wreck good walls with a shitty tag that aint art but any peice or even throw for that matter counts as art

crik
12-09-2007, 02:50 AM
pure destruction. it's terrorism.

mas$
12-09-2007, 05:29 AM
its art if u want it to be an artform, or its pure destruction if u want it to be pure destruction
there is now way to describe, explain(to the normal non writer society) or understand graffiti to the same depth that it means to us...

ReBuilt
12-09-2007, 12:53 PM
It's like asking if the glass is half empty or half full. It's all perspective. If you really look at it, if you just drank the glass then it's half empty. If you just filled it up, then it's half full. It depends what you do with graffiti.

toxus
12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
It's like asking if the glass is half empty or half full. It's all perspective. If you really look at it, if you just drank the glass then it's half empty. If you just filled it up, then it's half full. It depends what you do with graffiti.

Then the bottle is both http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/image/s10.gif

CSF-inandout
12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
graffiti is both art and vandelism...no matter how good it looks, it is destructive, and iilegal ..its also art because it makes most ppl get creative and produce everything from a tag to a piece...everything about it...finding a spot, colors, style, ext..... just thought i would add 2 cents...

Blam!
12-09-2007, 01:48 PM
it is both.

jawsy
12-10-2007, 05:30 PM
yep.. both. but mostly art!:D
thats what i like to say

hazetheone
12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
well if it is legal obviously art but it is deff vandalism if illegal

popshots
12-10-2007, 07:41 PM
haxe i dissagre with u cuz ive seen mad legal walls look like ish nd i wouldnt consider crappy lines on a legal wal art... but i have seen dope shit done on iligal walls thatd rape some ish on legal walls

hazetheone
12-10-2007, 07:46 PM
1.you misspelled my name
2.are you saying that illegal destruction of someones property isnt vandalism?
3.ive also seen paintings that i thought looked like shit be sold for thousands of dollars(beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
4.nice try but a more valid point might work next time
:)

MonoR
12-10-2007, 08:19 PM
graffiti i snot an art at all,
if it was art it would be called art

graffiti is a way to express our feeling to the streets,
each person have a diffrent ''method'' to talk whit the streets
and that create beef, talk shit, and the game we have now a day!

hazetheone
12-12-2007, 05:04 PM
basicaly what im sayin

doomdoks
12-12-2007, 09:32 PM
now yu gotta give this guy some props for this
FUCK THA POLICE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgZCIna84A8

bigkingone
12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
if anyone thinks throwing up a tag on someones property is art UR A FUCKING IDIOT

Trippy
12-19-2007, 10:44 AM
there are 2 aspects of graffiti YOU FUCKING RETARDED BITCH ASS NIGAH.

terrorize
12-19-2007, 11:19 AM
it's vandalism.

i don't consider "legal graffiti" to even be graffiti. that's just spray painting a wall for money. that's art, not vandalism or graffiti.

EaseOne
01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
its vandalism

SKAB_himself
01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
they can call something as ugly as emo poetry art so graffiti must be

ZZ5
01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Ya, i live in pittsburgh. this kid was caught doing graffiti on peoples property. they let people come in and say what they had to say. He must have felt so bad, because no one was there to back him up. Graffiti is an expression of personality. But he tagged houses. So i agree. Its art, but vandalism.

everlasting
01-24-2008, 07:46 PM
its a art form but its vandalism to

h!de7
01-25-2008, 09:33 AM
its vandalism no doubt.
i know im a vandal
not an artist

x{parkour}x
01-25-2008, 09:59 AM
^ still what your doing is also art

h!de7
01-25-2008, 10:02 AM
good point, but im not gonna suck up and just be lke yeah, im an artist not a vandal.
bullshit
im a vandal, through and through.

x{parkour}x
01-25-2008, 10:37 AM
^ yeah thats ok i guess, but id rather just tell ppl that im both, an artist who vandalizes

Kao.Ali
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
^^^^ Id rather not tell anyone anything... :D

maso1
01-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I reckon if it's shit tags and stuff done by toys it's just vandalism but if it's done by good writters it's art and vandalism at the same time. I mean that's one of the whole reasons i started to write because of the whole not getting caught thing. That's what makes it fun... well except for when you get caught haha.

Olick
01-26-2008, 12:39 AM
its vandalism

deal wit it.

im pretty sure the judge wont give a rats ass if you say "ITS ART!"

JEDI-MASTER
01-26-2008, 12:40 AM
its always art, u had to use sum creative mind set to deveelop even a tag, therefor its art, its vandalismm by writin on ppls shit but its an art regardless ilegal or otherwise

x{parkour}x
01-26-2008, 12:55 PM
^^^^ Id rather not tell anyone anything... :D

yeah that would be the best choice, lol

bloom
02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
well in a the graffiti world its art, but in our society its vandalism.. Im pretty sure most people can understand that..

atlok7
02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
for sure its vandalism. its just also an art form

STR-WHO
02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
graffiti's both, artistic vandalism

Merga
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
^ yeah, i agree whith you. its definatly both

iLL-WoN
02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
not everyone writes for the art though. aolot of ppl write for the rush and the being a bad ass and shit. which i dont get. yeah i mean theres a rush and shit. but i write more for the expression of my art and shit like that. and making a statement

milfhunter
03-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Its Vandalism Cause No Matter What Ur Destroying Property Which Is Not Under Ur Name Or In Ur Rightd Unless Ur Doing Legals

trowel
03-10-2008, 11:19 PM
its both. Plain and simple...

Graffiti is a form of art AND a form of vandalism

Ginasa
04-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Ummm.....Both?

DeDo1
04-16-2008, 10:20 PM
its both the most beautiful kind of art comes from destruction

AMansNotACamel
04-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Photographing naked 4 year olds and rubbing one out to it is photography - art, it's a crime.
Though if I went to court I would say it was art, just because I know dumb idealistic cunts would believe it and be like.
"woah you're mad avant garde that big black line through that piece is representative of the struggle you've been through growing up in a well off middle class family, great use of perspective."
Cuntsssssssssssssssssss

jawsy
04-17-2008, 06:36 AM
^^^hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahaha
i lol'ed

MuramZA
04-17-2008, 07:59 PM
vandalism

innerbleeding
04-17-2008, 08:10 PM
adults ask me "so would you call urself an artist?" and im like "haha fuk no i'm a vandal. i damage shit. i don't paint fancy colourful murals i damage windows and bomb property".

MuramZA
04-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Even good looking shit is vandalism. A nice, colorful, sometimes well thought out arrangement of semi-haphazard vandalism.

innerbleeding
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
any destruction is art to me. i almost get a hardon from car accidents.

dred
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
its vandalism. i wreak havoc and create chaos, i dont want some faggot calling me an artist

innerbleeding
04-17-2008, 08:46 PM
its vandalism. i wreak havoc and create chaos, i dont want some faggot calling me an artist

exactly. i feel offended when someone asks if i'm an artist or calls me an artist.
it's like "damn, does it look like i wear fancy glasses and a scarf?"

acereborn
04-17-2008, 09:15 PM
you guys are fucked.....

graffiti is both, your fucking up peoples stuff, but making it look good as well. its clearly an art form, and stop stereotyping artists like that.

tuckfoys
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
i like fuckin up shit. people's and the city's. but i dont fuckup peoples stuff unless they didnt have it commin to them u kno? like snitches shit. so im proud to call it vandalism. fuck you scene art fags

IlikePie
04-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Innerbleeding and dred just wanna look cool on the internet. I call it pretty vandalism. Well, sometimes it's pretty, other times it's just ugly vandalism, but vandalism none-the-less.

acereborn
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
yeah, if you people just want to fuck other peoples stuff up, why would you be on a graffiti website?

i mean.. you guys could be out doing stuff like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_eVJJQ5pR40

GraffitiEast2008
04-19-2008, 10:26 AM
its illegal art .. we risk getting cought to express our selves .. it is what it is man

Meko, ya heard?
04-19-2008, 10:28 AM
it's whatever you want it to be at the time, or a little of both. depends on if you feel destructive or creative

Allthegoodnamesaretaken
04-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Legally speaking, its vandalism
Artistically speaking, its beautiful art and an expression
Culturally speaking, its a phenomenon... a pretty recent one too.
it all depends on what you're interested in... If you like fucking shit up, you would think in your head 'I'm a fucking bad ass vandal fuck art'... if you're an artist.. well you'd look at it as a form of expressing yourself...
If you're interested in recording it because it is a phenomenon, I mean, how many other cultures decided to write the same word 1000+ plus... and hundreds of people doing it concentrated all in one city... its phenomenal

shine123
04-19-2008, 06:26 PM
dude its vandalism but i dont do it for its artistic values i do it to get back at the fucking government and the city and the fucking cops and to show how i fucking feel but no one listens to a fucking 16 year old kid so i do it my own way.

EGO31
04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
^^^^^^^
you do it to express your anger right? Guess what art is, that's right! A form of expression! You're a regular little monet aren't you.

FeTuS
04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
We are all vandals you pig fuckers, some are just better vandals than others.

SNIK//:NEWK
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
its art all tha way!!!! and vandalism is wat taggers do.......taggers scribble, writers make art................

TECKN
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
ART is anything created with imagination and/or skill, graffiti is art, it may be vandalism, but its good vandalism

esco93
04-22-2008, 08:08 PM
its art all tha way!!!! and vandalism is wat taggers do.......taggers scribble, writers make art................

a writer cant be a writer with out tagging first

acereborn
04-22-2008, 08:11 PM
a writer cant be a writer with out tagging first

true that

its kinda sad when people can do peices, but cant lay down a tag

/quote

esco93
04-22-2008, 11:18 PM
^^yup i think its both but i dont consider my self an artist cuz i cant do like complex pieces yet

Capo Izi
04-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Its a form of art that requires vandalism...

/thread

PG_Miscreant
04-22-2008, 11:41 PM
who ever said an act of vandalism cant also be art???
graffitis illegal, artistic or not
and you cant speak for all graffiti most aint even by writers its random marks on a wall so shut the fuck up
you cant speak for all graff most is total shit scribbles or not even words
whats artistic bout drawin swastikas on cars??????cuz thats graffiti too
u cant legalize destroying other peoples property you liberal art fucktards, cuz graffers dont follow same rules or morals
bump those other guys too, fuck artists

Capo Izi
04-22-2008, 11:55 PM
^..are you talking to me?

AM85
06-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Graffiti is art. there are alot of toys out there and gangbangers, fuck even tag bangers who give graffiti a bad image. I am 22 years old and i have been in graffiti for about 7 years and i see alot of nasty ass graffiti kids tagging and not knowing why they are doing it or what they are doing. I will definitly say graffiti is art there are some out there just to destroy and make shit ugly....but then there are alot that are in it to express their feelings and make shit not look so plain...

AcusE-BTS?
06-15-2008, 03:19 PM
graffiti is both vandalism and art. but it being vandalism is part of the art ;)

AcusE-BTS?
06-15-2008, 03:20 PM
its a way of expressing a message through an artistic graffiti piece publicly and it shows that you would go through doing it illegaly just to spread the message and the art of it. thats what i love about it

CorrereLaCitta
06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah i see it as Vandalism unless its some really good shit. But if its tagging throw ups or any thing like that its Vandalism. I dont see my tagging as art at all i just see it as putting my crew name out there to big up are hip hop and so on .

Shiva.
06-16-2008, 01:51 AM
it's less ugly vandalism

drunkenshits_one
06-16-2008, 02:08 AM
it's graffiti, if it was art it'd be called art. if it was vandalism it'd be called vandalism, but it's called graffiti.

i love both aspects of it; mainly the vandalism part.

hammer_time
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
if your doing graffiti because it or you is artistic you should just quit, graffiti was never art until almost 25 years after it started as a hobby for kids...

Allthegoodnamesaretaken
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
if you spend 10+ years and spend your entire time thinking about graffiti and put 120% of yourself in ANYTHING its art.
if it can help express yourself its art.
if you get arrested, its vandalism.

Slushi
06-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I hate this thread.

hammer_time
06-18-2008, 05:23 PM
this IS a rather meaningless thread, i second the motion for closing

Baron
06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Artistic vandalism. It will always be vandalism (unless on legal walls of course) for the destruction of public/private property. Not all of it is art, you still have the kids painting swastickas and the word fuck everywhere, some toy handstyles, throwies, pieces and characters are eye sores.

C3ZR ONE
06-18-2008, 11:33 PM
what the fuck is graffiti? I thought this was a Everquest fan forum...

Dudes with long bangs walking around shopping malls in tight womens jeans is way more artistic. Just ask one of the dudes that do it...

nuff said.

RFI. SPit
06-18-2008, 11:34 PM
what the fuck is graffiti? I thought this was a Everquest fan forum...

Haha, so that's the reason you're here too, huh?

LAN3YFS
06-18-2008, 11:39 PM
hahaha fits your discription dosent it zofr... nahhh much love man... we nedda trade man..

fuck graffiti

LostYouth
06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
you cant spell art without graff....
nevermind.... :(

Baron
06-19-2008, 12:09 AM
you cant spell art without graff....
nevermind.... :(

Can't spell graffiti with out art?

LostYouth
06-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Can't spell graffiti with out art?
yeah but sadly you can. =(

Baron
06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Gffii?

LostYouth
06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
it was a joke dude.

ColdBlooded
08-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Pure vandalism bitch it is what it is.

♥♥ MI$$ JINX DE$TROY™♥♥KD
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Both!!!

NoHero13
08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
bombing=vandalism at its finest.
Peices/burners=AMAZING Vandalism

Diostah
08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I've seen pictures that say graffiti is not a crime. That's bull, the main reason I do it is because it's a crime I can get away with.

Yes it is also art, but it's illegal art. Legal pieces are art, but most of it is vandalism.

NoHero13
08-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I've seen pictures that say graffiti is not a crime. That's bull, the main reason I do it is because it's a crime I can get away with.

Yes it is also art, but it's illegal art. Legal pieces are art, but most of it is vandalism.

i think you said it best lol i dont think alot of us would be doing it if it was legal. i rarely do legal shit cuz its not worth paying for the paint

TECKN
08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
the best answer just came outta diostahs mouth (no homo)

pencilpusha
08-29-2008, 05:14 PM
artistic vandalism

00-made-00
08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
its vanalism, if you wanna get far in graffiti your gonna have to realise that, the moment its on a canvas or a legal wall, then it can be called art, but if your causing damage, then its vandalism.

S4d3n
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
If you're painting just for the purpose of destroying shit, then it's vandalism, but if you're doing a piece in a chill spot, then you're generally doing it for the sake of painting something dope, and not just destroying some walls.

Diostah
08-29-2008, 07:28 PM
the best answer just came outta diostahs mouth (no homo)
This made LoL. And thank you, what I said is what I believe in.

Sadistic.Child
08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
its neither vandalism nor art, its something that artistic low lifes do to kill time in there sad lonely lives :)

wpgtags
08-29-2008, 09:12 PM
kill time ? naw but the rest is true

its neither vandalism nor art, its something that artistic low lifes do to kill time in there sad lonely lives :)

NoHero13
08-29-2008, 09:30 PM
i make time to paint

Sadistic.Child
08-29-2008, 09:36 PM
i know, i didnt mean it like that though. i ment like you plan to paint when you got nothing to do in that day or w/e like that :)

REDjacket
08-29-2008, 11:13 PM
graffiti is not vandalism unless it is all that bull shit like bongs and other pictures that dont even mean anything. there are people that take there time and do it good and that is art, but when someone writes "fuck you" on a wall that is not cool that there is vandalism.

mmmburgers
08-29-2008, 11:19 PM
bombing is straight up vandalism
same with that gang graffiti bull shit
that gang shit looks mad gross

but them pieces, thats... i guess art
but some say other, right?

DOUG FUNNY
08-30-2008, 03:23 AM
its seen as art when you do sick burners but when you do wack shyt its vandal activity .

Madvillian_23
08-31-2008, 11:11 AM
i think its just a illegal way to get ur message across cuz fuck it not everybody's gonna write a book or some dumb shit like that to get a message across why not do it in a way u like which is bombing or straight graffitti i like doing that way anyway regardless if it was illegal or not... lol

natetherebel
01-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Both. No gettin around it it is vandalism but art too. Takes skill and not everyone can pull it off, that makes it art on the other hand you get busted if caught so its vandalism

HalfGangstaShit
01-29-2009, 11:18 PM
vandartalism

ThatCommieBastard
01-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Vandalism.

MiggityMAK
01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Who Cares?.. make like nike and JUST DO IT...

Black Flag
01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
All graffiti is vandalism.
All vandalism is not graffiti.
Art can be graffiti.
Not all graffiti is art.

fitzy36
01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
it is art- i like to think that as graff writers/painters we are not committing a crime, we are beautifying the community, For example one day there is a ugly blank grey wall...and over night it becomes a beautiful local landmark for socializing and creation... i dont remember who first said this but graffiti is ancient from when cavemen were writing on walls,

Decide
01-30-2009, 11:03 PM
ya toomer from infamy

GraffitiZoo
01-30-2009, 11:57 PM
this is stupid and the guy who started this thread should be shot.

MiggityMAK
01-31-2009, 12:07 AM
I second the notion...

21¢
01-31-2009, 01:30 AM
Art can be graffiti.
Not all graffiti is art.

lol its like a haiku or some shit

JudgeWizely
01-31-2009, 02:26 AM
lmfao
graff haiku

SBOMBS
01-31-2009, 04:56 AM
heres a haiku

i wreck this bitch man
with a paint can in my hand
fuck yall i hate you

jzzy1
01-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Life!

Stray91
01-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Art can be graffiti.
Not all graffiti is art.

Signaturized in your honor.

SIKFUCK
01-31-2009, 12:18 PM
this is stupid and the guy who started this thread should be shot.

ha I second that.

ESKiMO2
01-31-2009, 12:21 PM
It isn't so black and white. It all depends on the intention. If the intention is to create art then the method, entailing vandalism, is art in itself. The idea of graffiti is art but how we manipulate it isn't necessarily art.

GraffitiZoo
02-04-2009, 12:59 PM
graffiti is war

FoRkK24
02-05-2009, 02:15 PM
graffiti is tecnicaly illigal, art is writing/drawering onn a place u alowed to =D

cesspool
02-05-2009, 03:47 PM
vandartalism

exactly

Banjax
02-06-2009, 12:22 AM
I'd say graffiti started as vandalism, and it remains so. But through the years, people have taken pride in it. It's fueled revolutions, changed political outcomes, upset millions of people and inspired millions more. On top of the contexts it's put it, it's visually stunning. It's fluidic, striking, and uses components of art that ALL artists use. It's art in the fullest sense of the word.

History will due graffiti justice. I can already see it happening today.

DoctorOfCrime
02-06-2009, 04:36 AM
heres a haiku

i wreck this bitch man
with a paint can in my hand
fuck yall i hate you

Right back at ya

respERATION
02-06-2009, 05:19 AM
....does it matter what it is?....i mean either way your still doing it?

sneek1
02-06-2009, 05:35 AM
it is definatly the art of vandilizzum only to be appreciated by other vandals n some socials of society .so it is art but in only in the eyes of those that appercieate it werd?

goonzatwork
10-04-2009, 10:58 AM
this has and always will be a never ending argument. Graffiti to many people, yes, is a FORM of art. (usually classified as 'Urban Art', thus the names of crews such as UAK aka Urban Art Kultivation). In the eyes of society, graffiti is art, until that ART is projected onto public/private(basically any property that is NOT yours or property that of which you are NOT given consent to paint on), turns to vandalism.

here's something to maybe help your opinion on this matter. factual information:

vandalism-willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others

Art-the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art"

where the two collide is where the contereversy lies.

Black Flag
10-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Graffiti can be vandalism, but doesn't have to be.
Not all vandalism is art.

Simple as that.

OOPS!
10-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Both.

Baron
10-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Vandalism, through and through. Don't try and twist it, what we do is illegal, whether it is beautiful or fucked up it's still vandalism.

Nurseofgonzo
10-04-2009, 07:06 PM
depends on why you are doing it..if your doing it because you want to be a vandal and cause trouble then your a fucking vandal..simple as that.

If your doing it because you have a message, a passion, or a reason to be out there creating art for everyone that lives in your city..then your an artist...

You can pass anything as art, as long as you can speak about it, why your doing it, and the concept behind your actions. I've passed of many paintings at my art shows that most would consider nonsense..but with a decent artist statement you can give it purpose.

LeaksOne
10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Vandalism, through and through. Don't try and twist it, what we do is illegal, whether it is beautiful or fucked up it's still vandalism.

Baron
10-04-2009, 07:20 PM
depends on why you are doing it..if your doing it because you want to be a vandal and cause trouble then your a fucking vandal..simple as that.

If your doing it because you have a message, a passion, or a reason to be out there creating art for everyone that lives in your city..then your an artist...

You can pass anything as art, as long as you can speak about it, why your doing it, and the concept behind your actions. I've passed of many paintings at my art shows that most would consider nonsense..but with a decent artist statement you can give it purpose.

But through the means of projecting "a message, a passion, or a reason" you still are going out and destroying property, it could be public, it could be private, either way it is vandalism. Just because you think you're shit is dope and your message is pure doesn't give you the authority to write whatever you want, wherever you want, it's still vandalism. To look onto others and say "they're just writing to vandalize" with a 'holier than thou' attitude is just pure denial.

If you really believe that you have this great "artistic and social statement" behind your work then you are delusional.

mefe
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Both... it is clearly an art form, you cant argue with that. yet we do vandalize by doing it in illegal place and shit..... it is both.. why do people think it has to be one or the other.

LeaksOne
10-04-2009, 08:05 PM
its an illegal art form. case closed

Nurseofgonzo
10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
yeah I can see how that came off as condescending but it's not ment like that...I have NO authority to make a judgment on what or who is being artistic and who is simply being a vandal. Scribbles and tags are just as valuable as pieces and great works of art...but only if the person doing has a reasons..what that reason is and if it is valid or not is up to that single person..isn't that the whole point of graffiti? To live by your own laws? BTW my shit is awful atm..I have no control whatsoever and I am still getting the hang of working with cans, watching around etc etc....but I have what I feel is a vaild reason for doing this..so to me it's art. Does that make it any less of a crime..no..but there is plenty of art some consider crimes or vulgar..and others view as beautiful and groundbreaking..it's all personally relative ya know?

BOMiT
10-04-2009, 09:12 PM
from a pholiosophical point of view, it can be both, its just how you perceive it.

Baron
10-04-2009, 09:13 PM
yeah I can see how that came off as condescending but it's not ment like that...I have NO authority to make a judgment on what or who is being artistic and who is simply being a vandal. Scribbles and tags are just as valuable as pieces and great works of art...but only if the person doing has a reasons..what that reason is and if it is valid or not is up to that single person..isn't that the whole point of graffiti? To live by your own laws? BTW my shit is awful atm..I have no control whatsoever and I am still getting the hang of working with cans, watching around etc etc....but I have what I feel is a vaild reason for doing this..so to me it's art. Does that make it any less of a crime..no..but there is plenty of art some consider crimes or vulgar..and others view as beautiful and groundbreaking..it's all personally relative ya know?

Talk to me when you are sitting on the sidewalk with a pair of cold handcuffs that graffiti isn't vandalism.

I've been there. I'm not going to brag because it isn't a highlight of my life. All I am going to say is that when it comes down to it, graffiti, no matter for what cause or how beautiful it may be, is still illegal and therefore vandalism.

Nurseofgonzo
10-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Very true, good point to be honest.

EGO31
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
There are artistic aspects to it, but it is and illegal act. Vandalism. I fucking love it.

A throwy, to me, is vandalism.
A piece is art, albeit, illegal.

The Kidz
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
both

Baron
10-04-2009, 09:52 PM
both

Well, not with what you've got.

Fube
10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
its both, not all graffiti is an illegal activity.

you have legal walls and commission jobs.

art has such a vague definition that these days anything can be art, this dont make it legal but its a combo of the 2.

Though vandalism in itself is illegal, it is often also an integral part of modern popular culture.

hate to bring someone like Banksy up but,

Tags (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti), designs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designs), and styles of writing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styles_of_Writing) are commonplace on clothing and are an influence on many of the corporate logos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos) with which we are familiar. Many skateparks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skateparks) and similar youth-oriented venues are decorated with commissioned graffiti-style artwork, and in many others patrons are welcome to leave their own. There is still, however, a very fine line between vandalism as an artform, as a political statement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_statement), and as a crime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime). An excellent example of one who walks this threefold line is Bristol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol) born guerrilla-artist Banksy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy), who is revered as a cult artistic figure by many, but seen by others as a criminal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal).

PRIMEape
10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
its an illegal art form. case closed

this

Fube
10-07-2009, 02:58 AM
bah bah bah bah...bull shit.

case closed.