PDA

View Full Version : Obey Campaign

FLA BOMBA
08-15-2005, 05:55 PM
I have been wondering what other artist thought about this topic.
I personally think the whole thing is awesome.
If you never heard of it visit obeygiant.com.

Peace :ph34r:

The Incredible D
08-15-2005, 05:59 PM
i think it is becoming a pop symbol...
and thats when it loses its effect.
cliche

InvisblSkratchPiklz
08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
true
its everywhere
its becoming to fuckin mainstream
it was on Family Guy, Commercials
sick of it

They're fuckin sell-outs

disposable_hero
08-15-2005, 06:20 PM
yeah its not as underground as it used to be

disposable_hero
08-15-2005, 06:21 PM
boobs

Haste
08-15-2005, 06:24 PM
they aren't sellouts. thats the thing
they weren't paid or never suggested to family guy to use it. family guy writers just saw it out and abuot and used it in there show.
i think thats something to respect. thats the definition of getting up

FLA BOMBA
08-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Well in some ways it has sold out, but the whole idea has stayed true to its roots.
The guy that created it works for a huge Graphic Design Firm that does work for
Comedy Central and stuff like that. So if you watch Comedy Central movies it always comes up in that stupid intro thing. But hey the meaning is pretty awesome. :ph34r:

**MATEO**
08-15-2005, 06:41 PM
andre the giant was a great wrestler, rip

disposable_hero
08-15-2005, 06:49 PM
omg andre fame the wresting guy big nose no sir!!

Kronone
08-15-2005, 06:56 PM
obey is the shit...all the kids now a days just wanna post his face everywhere, fun for the writers, and free advertisment for the company...what more could you want??!!!!

repo302
08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
:lol: :D :D my boy said he met him in california an smoked an L wit him

gust goes 2 show u get high an change the world :D

snow2skate
08-15-2005, 07:29 PM
I think its a waste of money, why spend money buying there stickers, when you can give out the same messeges the stickers are, by just doing graffiti..,

KaOs-OneR
08-15-2005, 07:56 PM
hey how about i punch you in the face?

snow2skate
08-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by KaOs-OneR@Aug 15 2005, 07:56 PM
Id love that man, then after maybe we can have tea and crumpets and watch BET ?

Krylon bomber
08-15-2005, 08:02 PM
i think obey is gay!

InvisblSkratchPiklz
08-15-2005, 08:03 PM
*in old ladies voice

can i come to?

joker00
08-15-2005, 08:32 PM
haha that ryhmed :lol:

LeetleMun
08-15-2005, 08:35 PM
i wouldnt buy any stickers or posters with andre on it, but i dont see anything wrong with making your own

Kronone
08-15-2005, 08:38 PM
if i ever got into weat pasting and shit...ide just make my own up that said my tag and then ide be getting the props...

esteem
08-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by InvisblSkratchPiklz@Aug 15 2005, 06:05 PM
true
its everywhere
sick of it

They're fuckin sell-outs
sell outs? your a fucking idiot. you do graffiti people do street art. i should call u a faggot jumping on a band wagon doing graff kid. shut your mouth if you dont know shit

Kronone
08-15-2005, 08:45 PM
lol.................

Atom
08-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by InvisblSkratchPiklz@Aug 15 2005, 06:05 PM
true
its everywhere
sick of it

They're fuckin sell-outs
Yea i saw that Family Guy episode he painted it in the 16th Chapel, i think.

stoop
08-15-2005, 10:24 PM
they make qaulity clothes.

epod
08-15-2005, 10:47 PM
obey is a legend. you guys should respect. who cares if it was on family guy or whatever. i wouldnt care if my tag was on national television. thats like the ultimate up. does anyone know where i could buy an obey tshirt?

def.one
08-15-2005, 11:13 PM
i have to agree... obey is a legend....
there are all these people that are tryin to be hardcore by sayin this persons a seel out ot that persons a sellout.... you all are just playa hatas cuz they are world famous and get bigger ups than you... i bet if you had the chance you would go paint with them

Scene*
08-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by epod@Aug 15 2005, 10:47 PM
obey is a legend. you guys should respect. who cares if it was on family guy or whatever. i wouldnt care if my tag was on national television. thats like the ultimate up. does anyone know where i could buy an obey tshirt?
the bombing science shop....

GeSuS_KRiST
08-16-2005, 12:11 AM
fuck obey and i say this as a street artist fuck that fuckin fag, his shit dont stand for nothing i used to think it was somthing meaningfull but now all it is, is a just poster that people put up who they have no clue who the fuck matt shepard is, how it started and why he started doing it... theres no deep meaning or anything fuck obey, now his other works sick but the gaint campaine fuck it

koper
08-16-2005, 02:02 AM
If you havent already seen it check out the flick "Terror in the Burbs"
it has got a great interview with the guy incharge of this campaign. he talks quite a bit about it, and argues that if fame is what writers are going for then he hit the fucking jackpot.

calmlikeabomb
08-16-2005, 03:42 AM
all I gotta say is that obey is making some bank on that shit.....90 bucks for a shirt that shit is crazy...

snow2skate
08-16-2005, 04:07 AM
i wonder if anyones been learning anything from my insightfull posts i have been posting on bombingscience lately :huh:

all city
08-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Hmm......nope

calmlikeabomb
08-16-2005, 04:18 AM
you don't teach much...but I don't come to the internet to learn...that would put school out of buisness....I just wish theyd teach me how to spell......

Skore_One
08-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by KaOs-OneR@Aug 15 2005, 07:56 PM
How about I knock your teeth in and skullfuck you?

Van Sicklin
08-16-2005, 08:52 AM
I have mad respect for Frank Fairey, the guy who started the obey campain, as mentioned before he has reached world fame, i'm not too sure how that is concidered being a sell out, when thats what this stuff is about .

I believe Fariey was attending rhode island school of design for graphic design when the Andre the Giant has a Posse campain started which later had to be switched to Obey Giant because of copy write shit from the wrestleing compainy.

Fariey went and started BLK/MRKT (a graphic design agency) with another designer where they were reached a yearly revenue of over $1,000,000.

there were some troubles with BLK/MRKT so Fariey left and started he now current design agency Studio No. 1. If anyone is interested in seeing what this guys about other than Obey, this is his G.D. work My Webpage (http://www.studionumber-one.com/)

On an ending note, I was surprised to hear that Fairey's Obey campain actully helped him with his deisgn work, companies saw his stickers/posters but didn't know who he was, when they eventully found out( he sent flyers to compainies trying to find work for BLK/MRKT, the flyers contained his previous design work, a portfolio) it turned out they were woundering who was behing Obey, cuase they liked his work. Because of this he found work thorough getting up.

Van Sicklin
08-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Shit, sorry that was the first time i posted a url, the My Space is Studio No. 1's website. Studio Number One (http://www.studionumber-one.com)

the infamous one
08-16-2005, 09:11 AM
ive never really been into street art..but its pretty cool that hes getting everywhere with this shit so credit where credits due

syrup2
04-19-2006, 02:21 AM
obeys a sav anyone who dosent think so is lying to themselves cuz he was on family guy dont make him a sell out what if daime was on family guy that make him a sell out and matt proably didnt even know anyways

lefty
04-19-2006, 02:41 AM
obey hits heavens but i'm better off with cope2 \, seen, t-kid ,and the rest of em

OUTLAW
04-19-2006, 02:57 AM
i always saw this stuff and i never new wut it was. anyways its a great idea and i respect it greatly, but the message does not get through with people now that this campain has been pop-culture-ized. I mean, the meaning of it is to spike curiosity,to give ur own meaning,but it has come to the point where some kid looks at other people wearing it, and then just buys it...thats the cycle. u cant blame anyone it just happens like that.

i dont do weed---
weed does me---

sage

Flair Heads
04-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by GeSuS_KRiST@Aug 16 2005, 12:11 AM
fuck obey and i say this as a street artist fuck that fuckin fag, his shit dont stand for nothing i used to think it was somthing meaningfull but now all it is, is a just poster that people put up who they have no clue who the fuck matt shepard is, how it started and why he started doing it... theres no deep meaning or anything fuck obey, now his other works sick but the gaint campaine fuck it
if you go to the site and shit, it says that he did it to confuse people. that was his purpose. he even says himself that the giant sticker has no meaning behind it. you're probably mad because you looked too deep into it and got disappointed.

unreal180
03-29-2008, 02:16 PM
obeys shit is dope and hes doing what he needs to do to get buy in the world
i dont see it as selling out

fannypack uprock
03-29-2008, 02:18 PM
shepard is a fairy.

obey giant was a good campaign.

obey is a brand name.

fuck that.

Soboe!
03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
he is a sell out, he get tons of money for doing shit for other companies and stuff, in some interviews he has done he practicly says hes a sell out with out using that word

NoWorries
03-29-2008, 03:40 PM
true
its everywhere
sick of it

They're fuckin sell-outs

If it hasnt been said already.
Get your fucking facts straight. The Obey Giant poster in that episode of family guy was put there as basically a shout out to Shepard. The artistic creator of family guy went to art school with Shepard back in the day, when the campaign was just starting. As for a sell out, fuck that. Do you have any idea how much it costs to get that shit out on the streets? A hell of a lot more then spray paint. He does what he can to accommodate the costs. PLUS he has turned it into a full time job with a large profit. Take notes kid and maby you can work, while doing something you love.

peace

Roolete
03-29-2008, 03:45 PM
he is a sell out, he get tons of money for doing shit for other companies and stuff, in some interviews he has done he practicly says hes a sell out with out using that word

are you saying you wouldnt?

mopin dopin mike
07-08-2008, 02:09 AM
the meaning is cool, but when their stuff started being sold at the mall, it kinda pissed me off

HRbN
07-08-2008, 02:24 AM
You'de do the same shit. He's makin it happen, gettin money for doin what he likes.

LostYouth
07-08-2008, 02:27 AM
i like how he did the barack obama campaign thing 2

hammer_time
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
You'de do the same shit. He's makin it happen, gettin money for doin what he likes.

thats not true of everyone, i would never do anything to sell out graff, cuz once its mainstream its dead....
as a matter of fact, i own a body/customs shop, i paint cars for a living, if youve ever done so, youd realize it has some similarities, graffiti coupled with my love for cars, lead me to a career that does not do anything artfag/sellout while still being somewhat involved with painting.....

lordloss
07-08-2008, 01:30 PM
obey obey obey what do i say its on tv, fucking mass produced products, tv its everywhere where it shouldnt be. that shits for the streets. He is a fucking hiprocrit i mean aww fuck the goverment propoganda arggg fuck the man then when the man gives him some fuck fuccckkkk his ALLL for that shit his one of them as far as i see it

nero112
07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
the fact of the matter is he sells his art in sticker packs for kids to put up ..he makes clothes fair enough theyr ok not too bad ... but his living in a fukin beach house drinkin crystal snortin coke n aint got shit worries his full of shit n yeah make money but dont exploit graff n sterio type it like cope 2 n so many others its fukin bullshit.

nero112
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
n it aint dope shit he just took andre the giang n stuck his face evrywhere fukin bull shit hey what if i do hogan with respect underneath he mouth that will be street and cool eh

hammer_time
07-08-2008, 01:48 PM
hey man we should really do that^^

i kinda like the slap andre the giant in the face idea, hogan would slam his fat ass anyday

no sellout

nero112
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
lol he tore a ligament when he slammed him that day haha

sketch3
07-08-2008, 03:31 PM
yea and wright rebel under it, reverse the colurs too

hammer_time
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
http://www.wrestleinfo.com/Img277.png

heres a good pic of the hulk pwning andrea the giant

nero112
07-08-2008, 04:20 PM
haha quik fact , andre the giant was french,sufered from a disease that made him so large, and when not in the ring was mostly in a wheelchair, also he died in his sleep in a hotel in paris whils there for his dads funeral... annnd the giant from big fish was set to play him in andre:heart of a giant..( correct me on the movie i forgot its name) until he also died more or less from being so huge

TAG_O\/3R_L0/\D
09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Obey was cool when exit through the gift shop came out, now u have these poser's wearing the brand without knowing shit about what it is and who the artist is. It pisses me off

skilligan
09-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Will somebody explain how marc ecko is a sell out in the graff world, when, in essence, this dude did the same thing but its ok because "he's just making money off graff, you would too." ...That's all ecko did too..

dudeatyahoo
03-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Obey was cool when exit through the gift shop came out, now u have these poser's wearing the brand without knowing shit about what it is and who the artist is. It pisses me off

I know what u mean!!!!!

ur210
03-05-2014, 09:16 PM
its a bunch of hipster bullshit