PDA

View Full Version : Train Hoppin'

Molotov Monkey
09-02-2005, 01:48 PM
I just got back from a month of traveling through the east coast. My main mode of transportation was riding freights. I've learned a lot about how to get from place to place on freight trains, and I've gone from Chicago to Boston to New York City to Philly to Cleveland and back. It's really fun, and you see a lot of cool, interesting things along the way.

I was just wondering, have any of you ever ridden freight trains?

repo302
09-02-2005, 01:53 PM
did u ride it like a bum lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FuLa
09-02-2005, 01:55 PM
fuck...that sounds like something i would love to do.......u just get in an open one & that's it?

skrooeapatape
09-02-2005, 01:56 PM
i have freinds who freight hop.. know some witers who often commute from montreal to toronto only by that way.. i did it to get from point st charles to st henri near ndg (on slow moving flat bead) lol i never traveld any distance really like that tho..

Molotov Monkey
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
There are different types of cars. (You should know this...)

It's a lot more complicated than just finding an open boxcar. Open boxcars are rare.
If you've never done it before, I would try to find somebody who has, and ride with them your first time. Never assume you know what to do when it comes to freight hoppin'. That's how people get killed.

I'll try to get some pictures and descriptions of each type of car and how to ride it.

sorce oner
09-02-2005, 02:20 PM
wow that sounds like alot of fun

Molotov Monkey
09-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Before I go on, a few reminders.

Do not use this as a guide for hopping. It's just informative, I'm not telling you to hop.

NEVER even go near the parts that connect the cars. When the train starts moving, all the cars will jerk a little, and if you're in the wrong spot you can get seriously injured or DIE. Avoid the bulls (Rail Cops). If you get caught, you may be added to the national list of "suspected terrorists" like I was. Making a small mistake can lead to death, always before careful, never be full of yourself. Never go near the engine.

Double Stack:
http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/DS002.JPG
Depending on the type of well car, this can be an easy ride or it can be "suicide bars", which basically mean you will be balancing on two crossed bars, six inches above the rail. This is very dangerous. If you have a choice, DO NOT RIDE SUICIDE BARS. I rode these from Cleveland, OH to Willard, OH. We got off right away because of how scary it was.

Basically, at either side of the car there is a small well area that you can jump into. Always check before hand if it is suicide bars or not.

Auto Rack:
http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/autorack1.jpg
These are hard to get into, and not worth it. If you get caught in one of these, you get charged with the theft of every vehicle inside it, even if you didn't touch any.

Piggyback or Road Railer:
http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/rram001b.jpghttp://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/rram001c.jpg
Basically the trailer of a semi loaded onto a freight. Pretty easy to get into. NEVER climb in from the ends. The train could jerk and you could be seriously injured. When you're on on of these cars, depending on the way it's loaded, it could be a tight squeeze or you can comfortably hide between the wheels of the trailer. I rode these through Chicago, but got pulled of in the Ashland Yard. I also rode piggyback from Worcester, Mass. to Euclid, OH.

Coal Car:
http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/COAL001.JPGhttp://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/COAL005.JPG
Really easy. Climb up the ladder on the side and hop in. Before you hop in, check to make sure you can get out. These are usually filled with coal, which can make you very dirty. I've heard stories of people getting killed by shifting coal. I rode one of these from Toledo, OH to Elkhart, IN. It was raining, so the coal was wet and heavy and it didn't move.

Grainer:
http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/PPC001.JPG
At either end of the car, there is a small circular whole which you can probably fit into. It's a tight squeeze, and you should always put your pack closest to the whole when you get in so that you can hide yourself. Canadian grainers sometimes have two holes. Some grainers have pipes blocking the holes so you can't get in.

Gondola:
http://www.danbury.org/drm/images/96-01-20/gon-a.jpg
Easy to get into. Climb the ladder in the side and hop in. Often, these are filled with stuff like scrap metal and woodchips. These can shift and injure you, so be careful. The first time I rode a train I rode this. I rode from Chicago to some steel mill in northern Illinois.

Boxcar:
http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0001-0411-2511-1337_SM.jpg
Finding an open boxcar is rare. When you do, use something to lock the door in place. If it shuts, you can get locked inside and starve to death.

Tanker:
http://irfca.org/faq/images/btpn.jpg
No way to ride this.

I'll get more pictures and descriptions in the future.

bruce
09-02-2005, 02:30 PM
id recomend you not drop hints on hoppin on this forum...
some dumbass is gonna read it and try it and end up killin himself...

and those who dont know dont need to learn how to do it from an internet site..

skrooeapatape
09-02-2005, 02:35 PM
did you take any flix of your trip?? and what happened with the customs? i loath customs to death i dream of killing them they harras (me at least) so micuh and you cant do anything aobut it they can just frisk you more and more

Molotov Monkey
09-02-2005, 02:40 PM
I put a disclaimer at the top. I'm not telling kids to hop. I posted it just for leisure purposes only. It's just information. And I did warn that you can get killed.

I can't emphasize that enough. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT A PROFESSIONAL. I wouldn't. I never ride alone, either. It's way too dangerous.

STRIFE
09-02-2005, 02:54 PM
i was thinkin about doin that, but the risk of death is too high for me haha

Ravek
09-02-2005, 03:04 PM
ive sat on trains and enjoyed the ride for like ten minutes then jumped off and broke into a james bond roll in the gravely grass

Kronone
09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
haha ya me too ravek..

The Incredible D
09-02-2005, 05:11 PM
i once rode john's mother all the way from oakland, Ca to Pleasure Town.

jabon!
09-02-2005, 05:14 PM
that sounds really tight, what i recommend u guys do (not so dangerous and legal) is come to europe and try the interrail. all u do is buy a ticket for lets say 3 weeks, and get on and off the train whenever u feel like it, u just flash ur pass and europe can be yours, its tight for bombing and getting up all ove europe....plus, theres like special places to stay for these 'travelers' which are either free or really cheap.

Lazer
09-02-2005, 05:38 PM
that's some mighty fine info, props.

Ume
09-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by jabon!@Sep 2 2005, 04:14 PM
that sounds really tight, what i recommend u guys do (not so dangerous and legal) is come to europe and try the interrail. all u do is buy a ticket for lets say 3 weeks, and get on and off the train whenever u feel like it, u just flash ur pass and europe can be yours, its tight for bombing and getting up all ove europe....plus, theres like special places to stay for these 'travelers' which are either free or really cheap.
you can do that in canada to, maybe even the us, but with a greyhound dream pass and then stay in hostels or whatever.

Spitz
09-02-2005, 06:20 PM
The farthest i ever rode on a train was across my yard.

Rogan
09-02-2005, 07:08 PM
/\/\ you have a traintrack in your yard? or you mean your local trainyard?

epod
09-02-2005, 07:13 PM
lmfao!

jabon!
09-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Ume+Sep 2 2005, 05:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ume @ Sep 2 2005, 05:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jabon&#33;@Sep 2 2005, 04:14 PM
that sounds really tight, what i recommend u guys do (not so dangerous and legal) is come to europe and try the interrail. all u do is buy a ticket for lets say 3 weeks, and get on and off the train whenever u feel like it, u just flash ur pass and europe can be yours, its tight for bombing and getting up all ove europe....plus, theres like special places to stay for these &#39;travelers&#39; which are either free or really cheap.
you can do that in canada to, maybe even the us, but with a greyhound dream pass and then stay in hostels or whatever. [/b][/quote]

next time i get back there ima try that out...next summer im doin the europe one w/ a bunch of friends so maybe the one after that ill head over to the US and try it out...

Zen
09-02-2005, 08:15 PM
riding freights sounds liek a hsit load of fun but i think im to scared to ride a freight car around the counrty or for more than like 20 minutes to be honest :P

meks
09-02-2005, 08:45 PM
damn that would be fucking fun :lol:

Jersey Skillz - Joha
09-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Shiidd yall don&#39;t Kno tha dangerous of that shit.. beside getting Caught by tha Cops or material on Tha train..

I was watchin a special in PA on this .. Train Hoppin... They got crazy poor people that ride them shitz also.. and thatz all they do go from city to city wif a goonie sticks and sht and they act like ur friend and shit thenact yo ass... take ya sneakers and shit lol..

But i suggest you stay Strapped or A big Pocket Knife or So. and keep it opened ...

Jersey Skillz - Joha
09-03-2005, 12:10 AM
O yea did i mention they kill you and leave ya body on tha Tracks lol

Shrink
09-03-2005, 11:17 AM
My friend Bess only commutes by freight train. And she lives in shelters. She fucking rules.

! PrOPeRr ! .aOk.cRu.
09-03-2005, 01:21 PM
^^^lol...she does rule. anyways riding trains, smellin like ass, gettin hurt, meetin hobos dont sound to tight, but i just bombin every you go, pays up for that other shit

**MATEO**
09-03-2005, 02:21 PM
i rather watch the trian go by then ride it

spray67
09-03-2005, 02:54 PM
id think id be funny to travel around on freights but the only problem id have is finding the right tracks that lead back to twere i came from

shineONE
09-03-2005, 02:58 PM
did u graff any steel??

oblong
09-03-2005, 03:25 PM
honeslty, i dont think any of the little kiddies on these forums should even go near a freight
but good info on your part

AK47_KNOC
09-03-2005, 06:20 PM
all ya&#39;all need cars, naw man im playin sounds like some good times
id tag the eniter time i&#39;d be on it, fuck them trains at

skrooeapatape
09-03-2005, 10:37 PM
i just did that erope shit by but buss almost evry conutry in 3 weeks.. dawm

Kronone
09-04-2005, 08:30 AM
that tee shirt would be so cool if there were no sutch things as cops...haha^^^ (AK47_KNOC&#39;s sig)

Shrink
09-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by &#33; PrOPeRr &#33; .aOk.cRu.@Sep 3 2005, 12:21 PM
^^^lol...she does rule. anyways riding trains, smellin like ass, gettin hurt, meetin hobos dont sound to tight, but i just bombin every you go, pays up for that other shit
She used to write DEK, and wasn&#39;t too bad. And she takes showers and stuff.

fame
09-04-2005, 01:38 PM
http://www.soundclick.com/artist/1/lilmastermind_music.htm

artcrime99
09-04-2005, 08:44 PM
hey fame didnt you get mega busted

The Real Sake
09-04-2005, 11:30 PM
YO FUK YALL FAKES IM THE NUMBA ONE KEEP IT REAL MAD RESPECT TO HYH,NME,NRK,ATM,ACVZ

RiP Zewler

CripWalkingHooligan
09-05-2005, 02:28 AM
i hit a trianyard (and got FUCKING BUSTED friday) and i had my knife with me for the sole-reason of incase i meet up wit some hobos and shit...well, when i got arrested and stuff and the fucking pig was explainin how dangerous it was to be down there he said that 2 kids got killed a week ago trying to hop trains (they were decapitated) and he said that they had arrested over 150 homeless people in the last 2 weeks from THAT SINGLE TRAIN YARD. He told me that over 20 of them had been convicted sex-offenders/rapists and murderers...

thats a pretty fucking scary thought if you think about it...
but fuck being caught, it sucks&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
-mE

southgate
09-05-2005, 01:48 PM
:blink:

southgate
09-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah another thing I thought about are hobos are scary people sometimes? Have u ever ran into a dangerous hobo?

artcrime99
09-05-2005, 02:30 PM
I ran into a crazy homless dude he was screaming and yelling I didnt think he was dangerous but he didnt deserve to be called a hobo,there are not many real hobos left just homless people.

Molotov Monkey
09-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Rail Cops like to make up stories to scare you. Don&#39;t always listen to them.

Frank White
09-09-2005, 08:04 PM
they also like to make up words and infractions to make themselves feel like real cops. But enough of that, i dont recommend trainhopping anywhere, i did it once for like 10-15 kilometers, it was easily the scariest experience of my life.

ow1
09-09-2005, 09:30 PM
once i found this box car on the side of the trax like it was a lil run of track and there were these 3 boxcars on and one of there doors was opening so me and my cuz walked across the street to ACO a hardwear store in mi and we went in the boxcan and did some bombs but then some lady came from the gulf coarse rigth next to the boxcars and we jumped down and she goes hope u kids wernt paintin in there and i was like no then walked to the othe side of the boxcar and did a bomb on it

Jectâ„¢
09-11-2005, 02:16 AM
One time me and the crew (ALNINE + ESCAP) was walkin the tracks and came up on a parked train. We walked it lookin for art... we went on and when we got to an intersection where there was a control box we tagged it and went and sat in the woods...Then we heard a big train comin and we were liek I wonder if its going to slow. It started slowin so we walked up on it and when it got slow enoguh to ride we jumped on...We passed the parked train and the driver saw one of us..litle did he know he had passengers too..whent he train stop we jumped off and started bombing..Next thing we knew a truck train whirs by on the second set of tracks, stops, and comes back..My bag was half way downt he tracks and alnine and escap threw there paint..I got my bag and ran with them..My shoe fell off and i had to crawl back and get it...We went throught he woods and got rid of our markers..That was the end of our day..

Molotov Monkey
09-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I&#39;m actually hoppin out to Wisconsin for fun tommorrow night. I know an awesome spot for this specific train here in Chicago. It stops somewhere completely random, outside of a yard, every night. It&#39;s great for painting too. It sits for about an hour or two. We plan on going to Madison. Let&#39;s see what happens.

->toNE*
09-19-2005, 02:35 AM
ur crazy b.well i guess u no what ur doing now.but am with buddy who said all u need is a car.

SAR<---
09-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by ow1@Sep 9 2005, 08:30 PM
once i found this box car on the side of the trax like it was a lil run of track and there were these 3 boxcars on and one of there doors was opening so me and my cuz walked across the street to ACO a hardwear store in mi and we went in the boxcan and did some bombs but then some lady came from the gulf coarse rigth next to the boxcars and we jumped down and she goes hope u kids wernt paintin in there and i was like no then walked to the othe side of the boxcar and did a bomb on it

your so cool&#33;&#33;&#33; can i bum you?

Tony
09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by The Incredible D@Sep 2 2005, 01:11 PM
i once rode john&#39;s mother all the way from oakland, Ca to Pleasure Town.
:lol: :lol:

Vulture
09-19-2005, 01:55 PM
i dont fuckin paint trains anymore, last time i did i was inside a car and the train outta no were just started movin realy fuckin fast so ther was no jumpin off, i had ta ride it from outside a Sacramento Airport ta Long Beach, it took 3 hours ta get a ride back home

$NAKE$
09-19-2005, 03:02 PM
^^^
no you didnt. that sounds so fake buddy. :lol:

SEe the White Bridg in my sig? my buddy KIKS jumped off it onto a moving fr8. climbed down the side and got the fuck outta there. we filmed it, and put it in a ol sk8 video. The Scaryest fr8 i&#39;ve had to get off was a TTX international, it was goin way faster then i could jump off and run. i got fucked up.

Vulture
09-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by &#036;NAKE&#036;@Sep 19 2005, 02:02 PM
^^^

u talkin ta me? cuse i aint fuckin liein

Ume
09-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by &#036;NAKE&#036;@Sep 19 2005, 02:02 PM
^^^

SEe the White Bridg in my sig? my buddy KIKS jumped off it onto a moving fr8. climbed down the side and got the fuck outta there. we filmed it, and put it in a ol sk8 video. The Scaryest fr8 i&#39;ve had to get off was a TTX international, it was goin way faster then i could jump off and run. i got fucked up.
your telling other people that their lieing? wow, your the fucking gayest person on here, "my buddy jumped that&#33;" fuck you he did, i bet he wouldn&#39;t even cross that bridge without shitting his pants unless mommy and daddy told him to, get the fuck offf here, no one likes you, and you think your the shit with your "hundreds of freights that are running", yeah that might be but as soon as you leave them there being capped. so do us all a favour and just fuck off.

$NAKE$
09-20-2005, 03:21 PM
;) i know forsure that Kiks jumped off it onto a train. its like a 3 foot drop off the brigde onto a international. and your alittle bitch pussy fag man, shut your mouth. Vulture, you&#39;ve been here like 5 days, you have 250 posts, get a life bud....

Havoc411
09-20-2005, 03:35 PM
this aint no movie kid. both snakes and vulture are bullshitting cause if you were in a freight car and it all of the sudden started moving when you were painting A. they check trains for people before they start to move and wouldnt miss a writer or an open boxcar B. you can heard the breaks release before a train starts to leave and its not exactly a faint sound unless youre hearing is pretty impared and C. trains dont go from 0-60 in seconds flat, they go pretty slow when first moving. and snakes, you shouldnt be in the yards in the first place, let alone gambling with your life jumping on trains. either your friend is really stupid and got really fucked up or it didnt happen

$NAKE$
09-20-2005, 04:34 PM
my buddy got oil stains on his shirt, thats about it. He jumped onto one of those dubble piled high internationals ttx. there real stacked high. he climbed down the side and got outta there. trains are dirty as hell. rain sure as fuck doesnt clean that shit.

props to the steel

the walking std
09-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by &#036;NAKE&#036;@Sep 20 2005, 02:21 PM
;) i know forsure that Kiks jumped off it onto a train. its like a 3 foot drop off the brigde onto a international. and your alittle bitch pussy fag man, shut your mouth. Vulture, you&#39;ve been here like 5 days, you have 250 posts, get a life bud....
^ ah yes the whimsical amusement of complete bullshit.

$NAKE$
09-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by the walking std@Sep 20 2005, 03:51 PM

"whimsical amusement "
such homo wordS? your a bitch

Ume
09-22-2005, 11:33 AM
or just words you don&#39;t understnad cause your too young to.

and your alittle bitch pussy fag man, shut your mouth.
or what? you gonna threaten me that i&#39;m gonna "end up in garbage bags" again....over the internet, just watch when i come down there sometime in the next couple months.

Cleo
12-29-2005, 05:24 PM
I&#39;m glad I read this post, not the last page of illiterate bullshit, but the first informational pages. I had a full head of steam-ready to go hope on any train that moves attitute but now I am a little scared. It&#39;s a good kind of scared though, I&#39;m ready to learn about this now.

GeSuS_KRiST
12-29-2005, 05:28 PM
liek i said man keep it safe

Cleo
12-29-2005, 05:32 PM
I&#39;m not planning on doing it as soon as I was. I really do have to find someone who has done it before. One of my friends recenetly went down south to florida on a train. I think he got to North Carolina and then had to take a bus the rest of the way. It was crazy, but awesome. He let me borrow his banjo while he was away :D

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5412/picture1133rr.jpg

Havoc411
12-29-2005, 05:34 PM
isnt cleo a girl?

or am i thinking of someone else

Cleo
12-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Nope, that&#39;s me alright.

I think you are on my buddy list?

Molotov Monkey
12-29-2005, 08:01 PM
I&#39;m really itchin&#39; to hop again soon.

As far as not knowing where to go, you can generally tell where a train is going by its direction. Trains make stops in big cities and railroad towns. Chicago is the railroad capital of the US, so any train going in this direction usually stops here. On my travels there were stops in Selkirk (NY), Buffalo (NY), Cleveland(OH), Toledo(OH), Elkhart(IN), etc.

Cleo
12-29-2005, 10:13 PM
I want to go so badly, it&#39;s just been dominating my mind.

Cleo
12-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Here are some pics I took at a train yard in Ohio. http://photobucket.com/albums/c92/squiffrotten/

I live in Maryland, and around Baltimore there is a petty healthy train population. I can&#39;t say I have explored it much yet, but I&#39;m looking forward to it.

**MATEO**
12-29-2005, 10:35 PM
cleo has a nice handstyle.

Cleo
12-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Aw man, if only, but that isn&#39;t me :( That&#39;s my friend&#39;s handstyle.

Cleo
12-29-2005, 10:55 PM
But I&#39;m working on it man, I&#39;m working on it :D

Havoc411
12-30-2005, 12:17 PM
im pretty sure yours on my list, and that Kast(i think its kast) handie is ill. apeak of the devil, i think you just signed on, taht is if youre the person i think you are on my list

Cleo
12-31-2005, 11:57 AM
haha, did I really? my aim i fickle and signs me on when I&#39;m not around.

Cleo
01-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Have you ever ridden an open boxcar? I heard it is an amazing experance

magic nyc
01-02-2006, 12:43 AM
top thread...great info&#33; =]

Bombers Ambition
01-02-2006, 01:31 AM
freight hoppin is so fun and my ride home from skool when i go across the road u should see people facshall expresions when they see a kid chillin on a freight

Cleo
01-02-2006, 02:07 AM
Haha, that&#39;s awesome man. I&#39;d love to see it.

I went to go watch some trains tonight, big ol&#39; freigts, they just make my heart rumble, I get so excited I about want to dance right then and there.

zink-dt..
07-23-2006, 02:43 PM
okkkkkkkkaaaaaaaay well some get just a little bit excited about trains....^^^^^^^

otrfatcap
07-23-2006, 07:49 PM
haha im 2 days behind on a car im painting at school, cuz i hear a fr8 and i just str8 up leave class and go to the yard to watch em. i thought about hoppin a while back. but i dont have anyone to learn from, so i figure there is no hope...anyone travelin through louisiana??? lemme know.

simple zen
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
they call me the thread bumpa...

yo someone gimme tips on this shit..

Scheme*119
10-01-2008, 05:15 PM
bathrooms son. bathrooms

simple zen
10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
bathroom you say?

Scheme*119
10-01-2008, 05:18 PM
yeah man, stay in the bathrooms, oldest trick but it works, i used it to get down to harlem just 2 days ago

PeeInTheShower
10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
i think he meant freight hoppin'. once i was takin a train from manhattan to long island, and i stayed in the bathrooms the whole way... or tried at least. i pretended to throwup and shit, and i said i ate nasty chinese food, and that i accidently flushed my ticket down the toilet. fuckin' asshole opened the shit up so i put my pants around my ankles and screamed "faggot pervert fuck!!!" and he walked out. yeah needless to say i almost got arrested.

simple zen
10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
^lol...

but yeah i've been to new york before, those mta transit dudes don't fuck around. see around here you can hop on the bus for free because most of the drivers are soft asses who don't have the balls to say "you gonna pay fuck niggha?" and they don't worry about it. but damn, you were almost arrested for a free ride, on means of transportation that is run by electricity

CakeWalk99
10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I know a dude that lost has arm from hopping when he was 14. He was drug for almost half a mile under the train. Trains are serious. I made the mistake of walking on some tracks and got yelled at. My legs felt like jello as I ran off.

simple zen
10-01-2008, 05:59 PM
why would they feel like jello? i've played chicken with trains before, as a dumb young'n, and it was quite a thrill. i could even see the conducters face and arms waving and he thinks i'm some suicidal kid. it's great.

CakeWalk99
10-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Because I was walking under a bridge watching trains and the conductor guy honked at us and gave us a really dirty look. A few minutes later some guy came walking towards us saying "you kids dont move. Stay right there."...........I think he mighta lived in the houses by the tracks. Crazy asshole. Anyway, we were probably 15 and he was pretty big. We put out track skills to the test and bailed. Im not near as fast now. I just stay away from the yards/tracks. I see alot of pieces on freights that look like garbage. Im not saying Im any better, but thats why I stay off.