Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Graff Culture

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by --Lyra--, Nov 2, 2005.

Share This Page

1. --Lyra--

--Lyra-- Senior Member

What Defines us as a Culture?

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on the following; concerning our culture.

What are our Beliefs?( a Belief is an idea that an individual person has concerning the culture) (eg: allowing your grass to grow 2 feet tall before cuting it is ok)

What do we Value?( a Value is when the majority of the culture have the same belief) (eg: grass should be kept short and green)

What are our Folkways?( a Folkway is a rule that isn't written down but everyone usually abides by it anyways) (eg: eating with a fork and knife)

What are our Mores?( a More is law that is written down and defines the wellbeing of a culture) (eg: street racing is illegal)

2. VAbomber

VAbomber Banned

We as graffers have one code to live by. " Be Quick or Be Dead" thats all you gotta knoe.

3. Mekas

Mekas Senior Member

Are you trying to get us to help you with your school report or what?

4. VAbomber

VAbomber Banned

lol. funny. maybe he want's to get into graffing. and if htats so, your asking the wrong questions. if you wan't to get into graffing, look up all the old jacks and do your research. questions like that aren't going to get oyu anywhere. you get alot of knowledge from going graffing and talking with other graffer. its all in time bro. all in time

5. The Incredible D

The Incredible D Elite Member

thank you, undergraduate of art and design institute, for cluttering up our forums.

6. VAbomber

VAbomber Banned

whats that? your making no sense. im replying to the other guys post. thanl you very much.

7. Cccp.aeroC

Cccp.aeroC Senior Member

our culture is so that everyone can thrive and live and believe what they want to beleive, which is a rare trait of any 'real' culture. look at how Graffiti came from the Hip Hop culture so many years ago, and now we have punk rock intergrated into it, heavy music and still the Hip Hop staying strong. we dont have a special set of religious beliefs to abide by - but when that code was layed out how ever long ago, people didnt really change what they were doing, it was just there, under everything that we had already done.

8. GLOKnine

GLOKnine Senior Member

i thinks its more of a movement than a culture

9. VAbomber

VAbomber Banned

i have to disagree. sorry. but i believe that graffiti is its own culture. not a culture that came from hip hop.

10. ape2

ape2 Senior Member

i agree with vabomber....graffitti is a culture.....graffitti breakin hip hop and scratching are one big culture....not a movement.... i mean i guess at first yeah it was a rebelious movement but now it has turned into more of a culture and a lifestyle.....

11. VAbomber

VAbomber Banned

12. Cccp.aeroC

Cccp.aeroC Senior Member

its turned into it, but you have to see that a handful of the originators came from and had influences from hip hop culture.

its evolved into what you could say is a global movement, and its begun to encompass so much more than just letters on side paneling, its constantly changing face and bringing in different people from different places with different ideas.

13. VAbomber

VAbomber Banned

well said. well said. i agree. graff is going in a whole new dirrection. i wonder where we will be in 10 years :unsure:

14. Hack.

Hack. Elite Member

what defines us as a culture is the police wanna nab us all

my belief is grass should be cut before it's 2ft long..maybe about every 8 inches or so.

i value a nice piece of turf that is well maintained, watered and weeded.

my folkways are fuck the fork and knife and use a straw...up the nose

and my mores..i think you mean morals
    and i have one for you...

dont post stupid shit on bs and expect people to seriously answer them, especially when it sounds like a school report.

15. ape2

ape2 Senior Member

this is a smart guy! i 100% agree with you!

16. Hack.

Hack. Elite Member

and that's coming from the kid who just posted a thread called 'how do you meet graffers'

hahahahaha.
    kid yer in no position to give advise to anybody..shush!

17. Slaze

Slaze Senior Member

graff is crazy, following it from its roots as almost like a free newpaper, the sketches in roam of political figures and cartoons, graff has always had some sort of politcal eliment to it which is why alot fo punks are attracted to as well as some real hip hopers, (not gay as wigger kids who say they are, same goes for punks no pop punks count), either way,
    graff writing is one of the most interesting developents of out sub-culture, if u think about it graff is part of other cultures, a more personal and underground property of people that are part of other cultures. its like an inner club or something biger.

i dont know i say its a culture inside of others. and that is what why all graffiti writers have different sets of belifes, some tag for quantity and some tag for quality some tag for art some tag for rebelion, some tag to say something some tag to mark their territory. its its own little sub-civilization.

18. J.A.B.

J.A.B. Senior Member

i feel i dont have any connection with graf and hip-hop. i am a rich white kid....hip-hop's influence isnt really a major factor in my life

19. --Lyra--

--Lyra-- Senior Member

Yep, thats exactly what im doin! gotta write a fucking 10 page paper on a subculture, and since this is the one that i know the most about i started writing, but i couldn't fill 10 pages, so i turned here...

you just started a thread asking how to meet people didn't you?

thanks for the advice, but i know quite a few writers and ive been writing for a while now, but im not in it for the internet cred.....

<!--QuoteBegin-Hack.
    @Nov 2 2005, 09:07 PM

and my mores..i think you mean morals
    [/quote]
    No i mean MORES..... pick up a dictionary.... wait didn't i put a deffinition on the first post for you to read?

Thanks to everyone who answered honestly!

20. Obiz_BFM

Obiz_BFM Senior Member

The four rules of graff dont go on private property,no schools,no houses of worship,and no private cars