Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Graff Symbols

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vowel.1, Nov 7, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Vowel.1

Vowel.1 Senior Member

yo i searched and couldnt find anythin about dis. Just tryin to get a few thing straight. since graff as we know it started about 40 years ago, alot has change and meanings to things have changed even though we still use them.

Im walking around and im seein new kids on the block throwin up Crowns and shit on they tags even though they are toy. i want to find out where some of this other stuff orginated, and what it means, even if it dosnt have anything to do with that or mean anything today. an im not counting 'gang' symbols as part of this...

Crown = King
    Halo/Circle = ?
    Arrows pointing directions = ?
    Question marks = ?
    Star-like shit = ?
    Comas(''), (,,) and (...) = ?

and ecetera. Fill em in and add others if you

2. MoNkEy

MoNkEy Elite Member

all they are, are things that people use for there handstyle. Most of them dont mean anything except the crown.

3. Krylon bomber

Krylon bomber Elite Member

yeah they don't really mean any thing they just make the tag look better.

4. Vowel.1

Vowel.1 Senior Member

na ive heard people tell me that a lotta that shit is left over from a time when graffiti was starting to turn into writing, but gangs were still doing big platform style tags out in places like philly....most of that shit dosnt mean probably, but what about Halos then?

5. Vowel.1

Vowel.1 Senior Member

sometimes as people evolve they change their crown/halo...

|
    | |
    O what about that thing?

or just | | |

its like a crown, but it aint. this thread will probably proove to be bullshit haha

6. Krylon bomber

it don't mean nothing it just to make your tag better like arrows or quotes.

7. Gara

Gara Senior Member

Most of the images you see are purely for detail but some have meanings:

Crowns - king (professional, or widely known graffer that has earned a tremendouse ammount of respect and has aquired imense skill)

Arrows - used mostly for style and look but sometimes used to show direction of flow in a tag or peice that flows i.e. all the arrows pointing to the righ and the image flowing that way.

Halo / Circe - this can symbolise alot holyness in the sense of god or holyness in the sense of pure skill, i have seen some circles that represent eternal (the circle never ends) therfor the person will never be forgotten - but mostly just for detail.

Question marks - depends what it is before or after upside down ? before and right side up ? obviously spanish origins, ive seen some that say the name then burn this? as in do better than this, again mostly detail.

Star like shit - gotta know more about this to be certain but prolly jsut detail unless its in the background then prolly representing the night sky.

Comas(''), (,,) and (...) - okay thats extremely vague but often people put " before and after their tag to show that it is their name ,, no clue never seen that and ive seen alot of tags / bombs, ... often just put after the name no idea why prolly no reason detail most likly.

"ONE" - if you see one after a tag or peice or bomb it means that they are the first or only person to have the name that they do. although this isnt always true because ive seen a new graffer whos name was "fear" write one after his bomb .... obviously not the first with that name.

sorry thats about all i know im sure there are a bunch more

8. Krylon bomber

9. Hack.

Hack. Elite Member

this is my favorite graff symbol

atheindependentvoice.tripod.com_theindependentvoice_george_bush_tells_america_fuck_you.jpg
    still means what it always has

10. AMAZ tbscrew

AMAZ tbscrew Elite Member

um dosnt the halo mean youv hit an overpass or highway?

11. MoNkEy

MoNkEy Elite Member

no thats just gay

12. scOpeOne

scOpeOne Elite Member

NO.... there just to add style

13. Krylon bomber

i don't think so but that is a good guess.

14. screw_loose

screw_loose Elite Member

it's et cetera. not ecetera.

15. Mekas

Mekas Senior Member

i just use the long ass arrows to cover more space.
    arrow = more space
    more space = more $$ in damage
    get it?

16. ow1

ow1 Senior Member

stay high 149 had a halo didnt he ??? jw

17. Krylon bomber

word!

18. Jump.-->

Jump.--> Member

,, In German you put the end quotes down low like that. Maybe that's what you've seen?

Arrows---> I use em but only if it means something to me. When I was still deciding on my name I had one that was V/NJ which was short for my hometown and the arrow pointing to the right was directions to it (east) Right now I put a single up arrow because my name is /\ Jump. (v.)

19. jape-the-nape

jape-the-nape Elite Member

i usualy use !? at the end of most tags coz i used to be well known for jape witch sucked(lots of people knew me in person as being jape) so there was a few cases on bus's were id see like people from my old schools see a jape tag on the bus n id hear them say"JAPE!?" so ye..but most symbols dont mean shit and its a bunch of crap i use to make my stuff look beter hiding my weak letters

20. _Sic_

_Sic_ Senior Member

some faggot did a ugly as throw up with a fucking crown, goes to show crown doesn't mean nothing these days