Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

what is your take on stencils?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REMIX8604, Nov 23, 2011.

Share This Page

1. REMIX8604

REMIX8604 New Member

what do you think about people using spraying stencils all over the place? i havn't seen to many personally. but i have seen them all the time in either graffiti movies or youtube videos. as a forum of real graffiti artists who put their real work out there straight from their hand. how do you feel about these people just spraying copies over and over with stencils? for me i see this stuff and think where is the real art and creativity? wheres the talent the hard work? seems like such a cheap way out. thats the real vandalism.

but is there any of you who really use stencils? not trying to start a fight, just looking for more of an insight. since i feel its cheap maybe i just dont understand it well enough.

2. onek

onek Member

I dont really feel that stencils are a part of graffiti what so ever.

3. izz-y

izz-y New Member

I think they are. Art is in the eye of the beholder and any expression of self is art. Think about how the stencil making process is. Ive tried it and had to trash four stencils b4 i got it right. Just like there are diff bombing styles stencils are another way of doing what we all love doing .

4. FuckMcNasty

FuckMcNasty Senior Member

I HATE stencils and 90% of the faggots that use them. Most of it is unoriginal Blek-le-rat/Wanksy rip offs made with the artistic skil of google and photoshop. I also hate the egos these "street art" cunts stink of

5. Cathera

Cathera Member

I used to think that stencils were a little bit boring and unnecessary.

Now if you do them right they can turn out nice and proper. They're cleaner than some people's spray tags half the time.

pikachu_stencil_by_jomobro-d3ailwu.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  6. FuckMcNasty

FuckMcNasty Senior Member

7. NJallDAY

NJallDAY New Member

stencils could be sick if the person has a good idea, stupid little tags are dumb im more into protrait stencils and toons, shit that actually looks legit not no sloppy junk

8. tha wite rabbit

tha wite rabbit Senior Member

stencils are for fuckin punks, if they use them it shows lack of can control, and stencils let street art pussies claim they are graffiti artists. Stenciling is somewhat accepted while graffiti is deff more edgy. stenciling can be learned and perfected in months while graff is a never ending process which takes at least 5 years to get going

9. Rumple_Stiltzkin

Rumple_Stiltzkin Member

wow at the (kids?) completely bashing anyone that uses a stencil! what an attitude.

I use stencils and stencils only, not because i cant spray (which i cant) but because it does not interest me, its not what i want to do, i get my message across alot better and clearer with a set of stencils, i can be more creative, better spots can be hit because you can produce an amazing image very fast.. get in, get out.
    I dunno about it being the easy way out, i did my first stencil piece last night, it is 8 feet tall and about 5 feet wide, it took me 2 weeks on and off to cut it out and tape all the a4 sheets together, and then transporting that thing by foot across town in the cold and the wind. I understand your argument completely though, because i feel the same about 'most' spray work.. I dont see the art or desire in spraying a massive word across a wall, the word usually unreadable and usually a set of initials of the artist. But eachto their own.

Rumple Stiltzkin

10. Rumple_Stiltzkin

Rumple_Stiltzkin Member

Thats like saying anybody that uses a printer to print out a document is a "fuckin punk" and shows lack of pen control.

Think.

11. ribcage

ribcage Banned

^not the same in the least. You think stencils are amazing? Why dont you try to paint the same image without using a stencil? Stencils are the easy way out, for people who cant paint free hand.

12. JUANASAUNA

JUANASAUNA Member

impressive thanks for sharingss

13. Rumple_Stiltzkin

Rumple_Stiltzkin Member

But why would i want to paint the same image without the stencil? it wouldnt look the same, it wouldnt be how i want it. People dont use stencils because they cant paint, even if i could paint id still use stencils because i prefer the look. alot of people that use stencils can actually paint, they just choose to use stencils because thats the effect they want. I love sitting at my computer, manipulating images and getting it exactly how i want it, so i know exactly how it wil look.

And i hate that some stencil artists use the same stencil over and over, thats boring. I will only use a stencil once, then it goes in the bin.

14. ribcage

ribcage Banned

^LOL people who can paint free hand usually stick to painting freehand. Id say 8/10 people who put up stencils and try to convey a message cant use a spray can worth a shit. And I say 9/10 of stencils users think they are succesfully conveying a message, when really their not, and no one gives a fuck. "even if you could paint, u'd use stencils"? wow thats lame, maybe try something middle schoolers cant do?

It wouldnt be the way you want it because you have no bars, simple and plain

Only kind of stencils I can respect are stencils on canvas that are being sold to make money, and I think stencils are the cheapest form of artistic skill

15. Fluffy Bunnies

Fluffy Bunnies Elite Member

what a bad thread idea lol

i personally only used a stencil once for mass producing sticks.

16. NJallDAY

NJallDAY New Member

you act like theres no skill behind a stencil, if you cant draw then your stencil is just a blob.. if you have some talent then you can make a dirty protrait or toon stencil that most people (included some people reading these treads) cant draw even if they had the stencil... art is art you cant knock the next person cus they like that look.. we're all doing this for the same reason we love the art and we love the world of graff so let this art form grow

17. 4menace2society0

4menace2society0 Banned

stencils.....weak shit
    unless your doing them on a huge scale, if not then untuck your balls from your super tight pussy

the only thing that bugs me about street artists is when they start to think they have a place in a writers society, like get real

18. Baron

Baron Moderator

We use to have some sperm stencils, those were a lot of fun. I think stencils are fine when they're used appropriately.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  19. HipHopAdept

HipHopAdept Member

stencils are for faggots

20. ribcage

ribcage Banned

thats basically the truth. theres no skill at all when it comes to painting it.