Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Constructive Criticism/Ideas/Alternatives

Discussion in 'Picture gallery' started by ToeTomorrows King, Jan 23, 2012.

Share This Page

1. ToeTomorrows King

ToeTomorrows King Member

This thread is for providing and receiving constructive criticism. Don't bash on peoples' work without providing reasoning or justification. What you might see as a foolish and obvious mistake, someone else may not see it as such.

I've used the forum search multiple times looking for a thread with this concept, assuming there would be one, but I haven't seen any. If there is, let me know through PM, so if it gets deleted, I know where to find it.

2. ToeTomorrows King

ToeTomorrows King Member

Starting off with my own ish. The word I'm doing is Yonkers, in reference to the song by Tyler the Creator. Haven't put the S on the next page yet, because I haven't found a suitable S to match the rest of the style. Welcome to all crits/suggestions/comments. I realize that the width needs to be changed on some of the letters, specifically the R. Anyone else that is familiar with Tyler the Creator, would really appreciate some ideas. I'm adding one more page to the end. I've made an alternative Adventure Time version of him as Finn.

Also, is the K distinguishable, or does it appear to be an R?

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_bd787171_Graffiti_IMG_0477.jpg

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_bd787171_Graffiti_IMG_0478.jpg

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_bd787171_Graffiti_IMG_0479.jpg

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_bd787171_Graffiti_IMG_0480.jpg

3. ToeTomorrows King

ToeTomorrows King Member

Would also like to get comments/crits on this Tunechi/Lil Wayne piece. The hand style at the bottom left was made by someone else, everything else is mine. I'm also very aware that I have shit hand styles. I have a large amount of respect for people who can do a piece and still have a dope hand style, because I just can't pick it up.

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_bd787171_Graffiti_IMG_0441.jpg

4. Ani-33

Ani-33 Moderator

I'm ok with the idea of this thread but if another mod deletes it so be it. Having said that i think your work isn't ready for this side and you should head over to the toy side. Chances are more people will give you feed back over there anyways. I'm not gonna comment on your work but i will say it feels funny how you took the pics with all your stuff around them, kind of like look at my mops, how about all the caps I got and did you see my paint, see where I'm going with that....I do like the page you have the little blackbook opened to. Might jus be your workstation but it feels staged.

5. ToeTomorrows King

ToeTomorrows King Member

This isn't on the toy side, because nobody is going to improve with a toy telling a toy what to fix. I'm not trying to bring this side down by any means, but I think that if it is on the other side, it defeats the purpose. The Tunechi pic was actually taken for the supplies thread. I just re-used it to avoid having to upload it from phone to Mac, remove Metadata, and then upload to Photobucket. The paint cans are always here on my desk, but the rest of the stuff was put up here with it just to take a pic for the supplies thread. Also, I wouldn't say "look at my mops" considering they are ******-rigged out of shoe polish containers. I somewhat see what you're saying though.

http://www.bombingscience.com/graff...tory-POST-PICS-OR-GET-AN-INFRACTION&p=1771304

Also, there needs to be some kind of middle-man between the toy thread and this. Some of that shit over there makes me sick to my stomach it's so bad. I know we all have to start somewhere, but there's a huge distance between crooked letters with arrows everywhere with a crown and the art on this side of the grass.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. wesk.

wesk. Senior Member

Makes sense but can you do other types like bombs tags and such? uhmm your letters are far apart i find maybe just because because theirs no effects but work on that and yonker is a pretty dope name i guess... good luck with this thread.. btw im talking about the yonker pic...

7. ToeTomorrows King

ToeTomorrows King Member

Yeah the letters are spaced for some kind of backdrop or shadow. I'm just trying to get the structure of the letters down right. I'm having trouble keeping consistency with some of the letters. As for tags, I cannot tag worth shit. I've practiced and practiced, but it's just not something I understand the nature of. I can do throws, but since I went legal, I haven't practiced much of it. Thanks by the way.

8. JOA1296

JOA1296 Member

Yea, I agree on what u said about a middle man between a toy thread and you, but I agree with wesk, your letters are too far apart. I understand you saying the thing bout addin a backdrop or shadow, but don't let that be an excuse. Honestly, the best way for you to get better is to do these things:

1. Stop lookin at others pieces because you will discourage yourself and start biting their style and not havin your own.
    2. Experiment with your stuff. Don't worry bout what others say, but then again, accept CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not critics tellin you "Oh, you should add this to your piece." With that, basically same as above, develop your style.
    3. Practice, practice, and practice some more.

Honestly, idk if I should be givin advice, I just started in April of 2011. If you want to see my stuff, checkout my YouTube account @: JOA1296
    Hope this helped, if any.

JAG1207

9. criscros18

criscros18 Banned

Yeah, i agree with Joa, iv only been writing since august. and because there are no other writers in Nigeria (like im literally the only one), so i have had no 1-on-1 help. so i had been looking and copying other writers flicks. and as a result I havnt been able to develop a very strong style, thats unique for me. get it??

10. ToeTomorrows King

ToeTomorrows King Member

JOA thanks for the reply. It's spaced so much, because I really wanted to add a large level of depth. I've been doing shallow shadowing and planned to take this one deeper. As far as looking at other pieces, it definitely does discourage. I have hoards of brand new Montana that I've had for years, that I can't bring myself to use, because I feel like I'm wasting it.

Also criscros18, I'm in a similar, but not as extreme situation. My area lacks writers, and the ones that I do meet are worse than me. It's hard to find quality criticism.

11. JOA1296

JOA1296 Member

Ik what your saying. Like my dad (he used to write when graffiti first started) kept tellin me, "Your letters are getting good fast, but the thing that messes up your pieces are your characters and that sh*ty tag..." So now i practice it everyday and school and think I finally got the taggin thing down.

12. TheProblemChild

TheProblemChild New Member

I think if this thread is about not airing out kids making dumb moves, blowing up spots and getting people arrested by posting stupid shit on the internet than this thread was made in poor decision. Case in point is the Delaware thread. If you guys were writers and cared anything about keeping this culture flourishing then you would moderate these threads a lot closer. Tropicana train layups were being blown, names were being dropped, etc.... These are the things that make creating new good photo worthy graffiti impossible. I understand it's impossible to catch everything all the time, but if something continues to be a problem then just block the IP or destroy the thread like you've done with the Delaware one. I'm not preaching unity, I'm preaching common sense. The police use the information posted on some of these forums more than the kids do. If the quality of the forums matched the quality of the front page you'd guys would be in great shape. Get it together.

FREE AGUA MSK/BDR
    FREE ABAR DEK
    RIP BANE DEK
    RIP OILER COD

Peace.

13. ToeTomorrows King

ToeTomorrows King Member

TheProblemChild, what the fuck are you talking about? The topic of this thread is constructive criticism. I haven't seen anything that would give away someone's identity or whatever you're getting at.

As for JOA1296, my dad used to write also. I've got decent characters, but the tag just isn't something that I have been able to understand. Like there is a very defined level of physics to lettering that determines whether it will look good or not. With tags, I have not found that set of, I guess "rules" would be the word.

Wesk, I understood the basic physics of lettering before I ever started writing, so I guess that's why I "skipped" tagging. Trying to go back and learn it is so much harder, in my opinion anyways. I know some pretty dope writers that can lay down some intense burners but can't tag for shit. I have a special respect for someone who can throw up a quality tag and a nice piece.

14. criscros18

criscros18 Banned

I totally understand. I only have like one friend, but he only sketches, and he sucks. So bombing science has been great for resource for crits

15. criscros18

criscros18 Banned

I totally understand. I only have like one friend, but he only sketches, and he sucks. So bombing science has been great for resource for crits