Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Obey a sellout?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by earf, Mar 27, 2012.

Share This Page

1. earf

earf Senior Member

Some people say Sherpard Fairey is a sellout for making Obey into a clothing line. I love his art but the clothes suck dick and most of the people who wear 'em don't know where it came from. Is he a sellout?

2. tha wite rabbit

tha wite rabbit Senior Member

fuck yeah hes a sellout he was never a real graff artist in the first place just a street artist, augor, kems, cope all those fucks are real, even if they sell theyre shit out, they still are graff artists... real graffiti writers dont dress to the trends most of the time theyre too broke to give a fuck pair of jeans and a hoody, you dont want to stand out in this culture, and look like the kid who would writegraffiti.... make the shit you put down stand for itself. If you even question if someones a sellout they fucking are.

3. aiko

aiko Senior Member

Is Mastah Ribcages dick small?

4. HipsterPunks

HipsterPunks Senior Member

the worst part is i see bros who rock affliction and tapout gear with his shit on, however as an artist its almost impossible to prevent that from happening. Hes been doing it forever, and god forbid writers make alittle $$$ by transcending our art into a lucrative career. I respect his ups back in the day, but now posers just slap his stickers everywhere not to mention the whole street team thing is gay. However i still think hes a faggot because of all the people on his dick, but than again im just a hater!!!

5. Baron

Baron Moderator

Because everyone likes him you don't? That's a great way to form an opinion!

To the wite rabbit no one said that he was a "graff" artist but he was/is still a talented artist none-the-less. What you wear doesn't define you as an artist. Shepherds Fairy made a name for himself and realized he could make a living out of his art. Every rap artist who makes a dime off of a record or mixtape falls under the same terms as a "sellout" according to you.

If Shepherds Fairy was a true sell out he would have explicitly exploited a market or a trend.

6. Ume

Ume Moderator

I remember reading an article about how he just copies historical pictures and adds a couple words to it and maybe an extension to the background, so I'm not a huge fan. I'll find the article again soon. http://www.art-for-a-change.com/Obey/index.htm

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  7. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

WTF since when is making money for your art a sellout im sure if you ask him if hes a GRAFFITI writer he wil lsay no and will never call himself that because he knows he not, hes worldwide putting shit up himself and getting locked up for it YEEE he doesn't do graffiti but he lives that culture more then you do.
    some food for thought @5:34

8. One Evil

One Evil Elite Member

i love when bitches hate on someone who works 1000times harder then anyone on this fucking board funny thing is you really arr calling OBEY a sell out? and i have to agree with what LAKIM said!

plus, i met Obey in Nyc at and art museum back 3years ago, hes a real down to earth guy. so id think about who u call a sell out before u speak like that... imo Banksy is a fucking sell out.. OBEY he does his thing! and does it harder then anyone on this BOARD talking about his "SHITTY WORK"

Edit:

this thread is gunna end up infested with so much drama, i can already visualize it. lol

9. actlikeyouknow

actlikeyouknow Senior Member

10. earf

earf Senior Member

i know he's not a true graff artist but his work is still cool...

11. dmgraff

dmgraff Senior Member

12. HipsterPunks

HipsterPunks Senior Member

Exactly man, I can't stand this shit. People also think banksy's one fucking magical man, when he's got a whole team of people who do it for him. All the respect, none of the risk.

13. chekones

chekones Member

Just let that ***** make his money.

14. DIC3

DIC3 Member

He used to be a real street artist. Guess not anymore lol

15. Sim2

Sim2 Member

I love his art. But I just can't get into street art. I pisses me off that people consider it to be graffiti...But it can't be as bad as stencils.

16. DEMPO

DEMPO Senior Member

that to me is good cause whenever some1 puts up my name it get me to be more driven to do it better than they did next time. only thing I see wrong with it is it should be evident if the artist was there or not. no more clones is ok wit me.

17. Phillip McDougall

Phillip McDougall Elite Member

His work isn't my cup of tea anyway. But a street artist that utilized the fame from his guerilla propaganda, made a clothing line with super expensive price tags on them while still maintaining a DIY ethic (getting other people to put up your posters isn't DIY, but other than that, I could definitely vouch for him), lifestyle (he doesn't often wear over the top clothes, most of the time he's still just chillin in a DK tee and jeans). He just seems like a smart dude who found out the real way to cash in is to sell street cred. People see OBEY clothes and go, "Oh, this person is either faux-edgy and hip, or they know something about an underground culture." Most of the time it's the former, but he sold out in the best way possible. With dignity. He's basically a satire for the art scene in general, honestly...

18. One Evil

One Evil Elite Member

so if Obey is a sell out, Marc Ecko is a sell out then to right.. what about MTA or COD or MSK crews (im just using famous crews for an example)... they are very well known.. but they dont get hit with the same brick as Obey would cuz hes a Street Artist that isnt a graffiti writer?.. yeah okay... yup, makes a lot of sense.

19. actlikeyouknow

actlikeyouknow Senior Member

Marc Ecko is dramaticially worse than Fairy. At least with obey, its arguable as to whether he sold out or not. With ecko there isn't much discussion...

20. One Evil

One Evil Elite Member