Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Crossing the Border?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by junkbox, May 11, 2012.

Share This Page

1. junkbox

junkbox Senior Member

Hey folks. It has been awhile since I've traveled to Canada (I live in the U.S), and in that time I've managed to get a drunk driving charge on my record.

It's my understanding that the Canadian Government is particularly 'not cool' with DWIs, and it may cause me problems when trying to cross the border, probably denying me entry altogether.

Anybody have experience with this? I have, now and then, checked the web. I'm hoping if I'm not actually driving I may get lucky enough to not have my driving record checked, as far as I know my criminal record is non-existent. I've heard about a possibility of paying the Consulate a certain fee (somewhere around $300, I don't really have that), and being allowed a special one-time entry. I'm about 6 hours from the border by automobile, and would rather not get sent back in an attempt to get into the country.

Crossing illegally? I'm sure people ride freight trains over the border?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, perhaps this will turn into a cool discussion of immigration/travel laws, who knows?

Thanks in advance.