Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is graff still hip hop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reger, Jul 20, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Reger

Reger Member

In many graff videos ive seen they only use techno and fucked up songs and the writers has no swag they just dress uplike bums. What up with that? Where im fron (Norway) most writers doesnt seem 2 know that graffiti is hip hop.. What do yall feel bout it? Im 100% into hip hop

2. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

many will argue it not cause you had punk rockers listen to slyer ect paint graff in newyork but many forgot that afrika bambaataa brough white kids to the block partys to kick it with the emcees djs bboys an other graff writers GRAFFITI IS HIPHOP the music has nothing to do with it the culture has everything to do with it.

turntableism
    emceeing
    bboying/bgirling
    graffiti
    peace
    love
    unity
    having fun
    knowledge
    wisdom
    understanding
    THIS IS HIPHOP!!!!

3. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

4. Z3BRA

Z3BRA Elite Member

x

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

6. Reger

Reger Member

Yeah wtf? Seems like the only writers are emos, skaters, hipsters and hippies

7. Reger

Reger Member

Thats a dope song btw

8. ADICT ONE

ADICT ONE Member

From my knowledge, graffiti started in the punk era. Those guys would tag in bathrooms and or places they performed at. Hip hop came a few years later and graffiti just fell into hip hop.....I like it in hip hop but graffiti isnt a hip hop thing. It's a everybody thing now.....

9. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

graffiti started THOUSANDS of years ago.
    wasnt til lthe 70s where cornbread started bombing the juvenile center he was in then eventually got out on the streeets and crushed philly, then the idea of bombing your neighbor hood went to newyork and exploded(taki 183). then the HIPHOP generation came at started to bend letters add extensions etc. HIPHOP birth modern graffiti CIVILIZATION birthed the idea of graffiti.

10. Ani-33

Ani-33 Moderator

11. Reger

Reger Member

I mean "graffiti" not writing some bullshit on a wall. Names with style

12. Shit Outta Luck

Shit Outta Luck Senior Member

^Graffiti can just as much be bullshit on the wall. Everything has to start somewhere.

13. 0nly10fmikind

0nly10fmikind Senior Member

those hipsters and emos dont really write though, they just do stickers, stencils, and paste...

14. Reger

Reger Member

True. They're fuckin up the culture.

15. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

stencils and stickers where around before emos and hippsters.

16. PKS

PKS Member

Yes it is...
    As it is rapping DJing and brakedance=)

17. 0nly10fmikind

0nly10fmikind Senior Member

lol, you rhyming mutha fucka...anyway yea i know they been around a while. an im not knockin them. i got about 150 stickers runnin right now. im just sayin if thats ALL you do imo, you not a writer.... i paste to but not as much cuz it makes my hands smell like shit.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  18. Reger

Reger Member

Stickers are an alternative to be doin graffiti for pussies..

19. heavy-goods-apparel

heavy-goods-apparel New Member

20. Backalley Abortion Doctor

Backalley Abortion Doctor Elite Member

It's hard to answer this question with a straight face. To say that graf is still hiphop, is to imply that hiphop still really exists at all. The hiphop culture isn't dead, there's just no trace of it left. It vacated the scene. I appreciate your enthusiasm, Lakim, but I haven't seen a hiphop culture in years. When graf turned into cats with floppy beanies and ray-bans doing line art slaps, and doing the same letters I was doing when I'd been writing two months, but calling it "Euro style" or "Hipster style" and getting praise from the OTHER 100,000 people who decided to do the same thing (Bombingscience is glorious for this. Anyone remember Fezat, or any of the old heads who used to blow minds with letter structure on here?), I quit. It lost the appeal. There was no one left to relate to or impress. Putting your name everywhere, better than everyone else was significantly less appealing when everyone around you was shit but got together at coffee shops to talk about how awesome they were.

Why do I say hiphop has vacated the scene? Let's take a look. Anyone remember what the elements of hiphop are? Or what they turned into?

MCs:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ifwt-lil-wayne.jpg

DJs:
    [Broken External Image]:http://d3na4zxidw1hr4.cloudfront.ne...Getty-C-Flanigan-658x3501_jpg_630x350_q85.jpg

Writers:
    [Broken External Image]:http://images-ff.asos-media.com/shm...rge_d8011117-e15d-4bd3-acfe-ee29c43cd086.jpeg

B-Boys:

???????????????????

Keep that shit, call me when someone retakes our culture.
    Kudos to the guys who keep it real through the shit storm. I'll be over here blending in as a functioning member of society until someone calls for the revolution.