Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

How do you become a famous graffiti artist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by officialpoypoy, Oct 21, 2012.

Share This Page

1. officialpoypoy

officialpoypoy New Member

How do you become famous like OBEY and banksy? what did they do that got them famous?

2. dudeatyahoo

dudeatyahoo Senior Member

As far as i can figure out, both of those artist just put up theyre work like a lot so people kept seeing it and i guess the mysteriousness of who those people were intriguied people, i guess obey made his street art into clothing and sold it. Basically u hold up your name and do something notorious or cool and make your work something people like, everybody likes banksy and obey so therefore that helps them become popular! Thats what i think!

3. TRUANT365

TRUANT365 Senior Member

Just Completely forget about the internet. Alot of the writers in the 80's and 90's got famous through bombing and painting, and just going fucking hard. once you have enough respect and flicks on the street, and you get your name out. then it's time to hit the internet.

4. ur210

ur210 Senior Member

Both of those people are not "graffiti" artist. IF you don't know, there is a world of difference between "street art" and "graffiti."
    And as far as being famous, you either have innovative styles or you get up everywhere or do some ballsy shit like with Saber painting the largest piece. Mostly it's a combination of all those. Being in graff movies also helps.

Or you can do some gay ass hipster street "art" and you'll get famous and you won't even have to worry about getting arrested. Print off some stencils of rats or some shit.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. triphippie

triphippie Member

There isnt a single famous artist out ther that made it big on the internet it all started on the streets

6. BridgeRat

BridgeRat Senior Member

Be different. It's not so easy getting famouse using traditional methods.

7. Lich

Lich Senior Member

^

8. a true magician never reveals his secrets.......

9. arty

arty New Member

Write everywhere you go and after 2 years people will start recognising your shit

10. Culture_Shock

Culture_Shock Senior Member

getting "famous" in graffit is like building a fast food chain.
    you want something that's generally appealing to a large audience, so write something nice, and paint it nicely.
    you want it to be easily consumed by the masses, so don't do anything too crazy off the wall.
    you want it to be readily accessible, so get up everywhere. Travel, go to other cities, go all city in every city, everywhere.
    And one of the most important factors is consistency. You can go to any McDonalds on the entire fucking planet, and you know the big Mac is going to taste the same. That's the key to fast food success, and that's the key to graffiti. Make your style your trademark, having all of your pieces be consistent and recognizable is the key to being memorable. If someone sees one of your pieces, and then sees another later on, you want them to think "Hey I think I've seen this before!" Lots of pieces painted with a consistent recognizable style, have more leverage than a couple big flashy murals that are one off masterpieces.

11. GKH

GKH Member

Do something original

Paint 100 whole cars/1000s great street spots or trains and put them all on instagram or tumblr

Feature in a documentary

Write a book about yourself/get someone else to write one for you

Get really good at marketing and develop a personal brand

Get busted and have a high-profile court case

Get in the galleries and sell you work to celebrities

Consider merchandising e.g. mugs, t-shirts etc

Appear in R&B music videos

12. writingis4life

writingis4life Senior Member

Do pieces in places that you would bomb. I dont mean 1 day pieces but pieces that would take a couple hours