Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Philisophical Concepts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tonedope, Apr 8, 2006.

Share This Page

1. tonedope

tonedope Elite Member

aight i remember there uswed to be a thread like this a long ass time ago. post up ure philosophies an thoughts, deep shit. try to keep them original, but if its really good feel free to quote sumone.
    aight ill kick it off.

"as far as im conserned there are only two types of people in this world. people who go around problems an then people who break through them."

2. koper

koper Banned

This is a great idea for a thread.

Having studies philosophy in depth at university i consider myself to have a pretty good grip on this shit.

Ofcourse nothing is really original as far as philospphy goes these days, most everything you hear is just someone else's concept just reworded in a different metaphor most of the time.

So, a good place to begin is cartesian doubt as far as i'm concerned:
    So decarte was able to doubt himself from all of his sensory persections, simply by denying them as truisms if they had any fault in them at all. Eventually he was able to doubt the existence of everything, the entire physical world. The one thing descarte couldn't doubt was the fact that he was doubting. Therefore something existed right? At the most descarte was able to prove that he himself existed as a thinking entity, but nothing beyond that.

A great extension of that is to say that maybe i am the only real thing in the universe. It's plausible, no? Say that i am the only thing that exists, being only a conscious entity. Remember i have doubted away the physical world long before this point. So everyone i "meet" and everyone i "fuck" and everyone i "interact" with at all is completely a figment of my imagination. This is all plausible under descarte's platform. Here's the kicker. No one is able to prove to me that i am not the only thing in the universe, that i am not just making up everyone else and all their words and ideas. I guess somebody could come up to me and say "No! You arent the only living entity because i also can call myself a living entity, i also am conscious and aware of my consciousness, therefore you aren't the ONLY one. In otherwords you aren't the controller of the universe" But even this i could gauk at under my logic because it could just be another figment of my imagination. There is no way for anyone to prove to me that i am not the only thing in the universe. You could kill me. If i died and everything kept going, the world kept rotating, and people kept shopping, then that would prove that i dont own it all in my mind. However if i was dead i couldn't see that, so i can never know.

So hell maybe i am the only thing in the entire universe? Seems kinda bland that i would sit here and discuss it on a forum rather than take advantage of it and fuck playboy bunnies on my island mansion made of tranformers.

3. **MATEO**

**MATEO** Elite Member

the glass is half empty
    and
    the glass is half full

what do you call that?

4. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

5. fannypack uprock

fannypack uprock Elite Member

i think a thread like this is a bit too much for the BS kiddies to handle...
    im sure theres a good handfull of people who could contribute something worthwhile to it but for the most part kids are just gonna spout bullshit or copy shit from websites or books.. and KOPER dont think im talking about you because im not.. im just making a statement about how i see the future of this thread going.. its a great idea for a thread but i just dont think it can happen here as well as we would like.

if i get bored enough ill divulge a bit of what ive came to upon my years of pondering things... but we'll have to see. it takes quite a bit to put it into words again..

6. musicians are cowards

musicians are cowards Member

"Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it looking up big words"

7. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

Fanny pack don't be party pooper! I think a great way to stop the kiddies who aren't serious about this is to just ignore their comments. If they contribute something valid, then it doesn't matter as long as it's serious. I really like this thread. I'm actually taking philosophy right now and have also discussed MANY things with a friend of mine in the wee hours of the morning because we're both insomniacs. Anyway. Let's hope for the best!
    ToneDope, thanks for putting up this thread. I really appreciate it.

As for what M.A.C said in the quote. I like how that relates to art.

Maybe I'm looking to much into it. But when I went to the art museum last year there was this little comb and etched into it was a tiny thing saying something like the pebbles fall, but the wood is blahb lah blah" It actually didn't sound anything like that but it was so long ago.

The point is that your brain automatically tries to put two and two together. In this case, it was what the comb had to do with the poem. It doesn't have anything to do with it. They considered it art *shrug* I guess in a way it was, but more of an art lesson. What I got from it was that art doesn't have to be what everyone thinks it is, but what you think it is and then having the ability to explain why it's art.
    In relation to the quote, I like how at first you take the whole quote liteally. Of course most people wouldn't understand what ephemeral means but it's "short". So then you look at the next sentence and it tells you not to waste your "ephemeral" time on looking up big words. The quote is actually literal. I like it.

8. MUSASHI

MUSASHI Elite Member

Sometimes you'll never find what you're looking for until you've lost it...

how is one sure that red isn't blue and blue not red ,white not black or green...who knows the truth of these things ?none i say! we have only become a complacent people....

a dragonlfly hovers motionless in front of my eyes ,locusts and cicadas harmonize together making seasonal melodies as honey bees buzz in their toils for the sake of honey sweet...

nothing exists without the existence of nothing imagine if you can nothing...I say you can't and if you could then nothing would matter which is a contradiction...that's when they gave nothing a name, God...

a common thing is for the ignorant to worship what they cannot understand...I must be uncommon,for i have no desire to worship trivial things like algebra and those cool little things that women who will never marry you do...

9. Alchohlics_Anonymous

Alchohlics_Anonymous Elite Member

Ive also thought of all these things, and being under the influence of Mar-eh-jah-wanna is making me feel like that shits real and shit... Oh my im fucked up.

10. BRAINE

BRAINE Elite Member

koper said what i was thinking, in better words and longer.
    i didnt know decarte was the one who first recorded those types of theories though.

11. fannypack uprock

anyone interested in this shit should check out the TTC lectures on philosophy.. you can find them on the internet or you can buy them for like 300 dollars for the series.. its like maybe a weeks worth of lectures starting from the greeks to modern philosophers. good shit.

12. Feliks

Feliks Elite Member

I'm too poor for that.

13. MUSASHI

MUSASHI Elite Member

sidartha guatama...brought up some simillar things oh about 600 bc. dont know how that relates with descarte.but the buddha was an intense philosopher in my opinion

14. fannypack uprock

arrrgg matey! pirate it!

15. FuLa

FuLa Elite Member

I have thoughts...one minute I find absolute truths to things(such as creation, existence, etc.), the next second I'll find an absolute truth completely contradicting what I had thought which seemed to be very logical...I have come to the conclusion that the best answer for these questions I always ask myself(about 24/7) is silence...."just be"...I know that this probably doesn't make sence but I trust that the people in this thread are "thinkers" and can understand that words can't describe completely what goes through one person's mind...

I believe that THAT is one of the problems with society as wel: people following one man's thought which took years and years of practice and philosophizing and understanding and "being" in this person's mind....The bible is full of conclusions(don't steal, don't fuck your neighbour's wife...the list goes on) I think this can be summarized in "be yourself" and "do not rely on the external to find internal happiness"...ego, and relying in material things for happiness(this can be anything but, pretty much being a stereotypical person summarizes it pretty well(goth, yuppie, hippie, rasta, skater, etc.) these people are the furthest away from "being themselves" because they are 100% the product of another man's thoughts and the period of their time...

"salvation" is simply finding yourself in the humblest of forms in my opinion

hahah this always happens but I lose my train of thought but I hope someone can digest what I said and respond to it "smartly"...

16. madsencarl

madsencarl Senior Member

a barber in a town shaves everyone who does not shave themselves.
    who shaves the barber?

there's no answer...

i think that makes me a philospher, i'm a go write a book now

17. FuLa

FuLa Elite Member

^uhuh..
    bump

18. Tode

Tode Elite Member

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don't know what your rights are, or who the person is you're talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

19. musicians are cowards

musicians are cowards Member

I'm muslim and an anarchist.

That's all the philosophy I got.

20. IceKoldKilla1

IceKoldKilla1 Member

The Earth Revolves Around The Sun-Galalie Galaleo