Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Producing A Graff/street Art Magazine, Questions.

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Chop Logic, Jan 26, 2007.

Share This Page

1. Chop Logic

Chop Logic Senior Member

Hey. I'm going to be producing a magazine soon, for graffiti and street art on Long Island. It's probobly just going to be one or two issues but whatever, thats besides the point. Obviously I've never done this before, and I just had some questions.

First and foremost, pictures. Obviously it would be ideal if most of the pictures were taken by myself, but most of my pictures are of my stuff, and stuff in the areas right around me. Long Island is pretty big, and I dont want to just do the stuff near me because theres a lot of stuff out there. And even though I do go around the Island a little, its not really feasible for me to go everywhere. So whats the ettiqute with using someone elses pictures? Most of the graff magazines I have dont credit people in the back for photos. Is it just, ask first? Or should almost all of the pictures be taken by myself?

Thats really the msot urgent thing, because before I start doing anything I need a bunch of good pictures.

2. ..MAR..

..MAR.. Member

Sounds like a great idea. try getting in touch with people in other areras and have them send you the pitchures they took.

3. 14nick

14nick Senior Member

Sweet :p . dope ideaaaa. who are u planning on selling it 2?

ill get one :lol:

but i dunno about ur question :blink:

4. G-Fat

G-Fat Elite Member

ask writers, search the internet for long island graffiti...just my 2 cents

5. Tagger101

Tagger101 Senior Member

man that inspires me

what i would do is talk about
    whos getting up
    wars
    kings
    new shit available in stores near you
    doesnt need to be a book
    haha
    you should send me a copy once you get done

6. Tagger101

Tagger101 Senior Member

oh and ps
    graff is about second identity
    dont ask
    just take
    they will be proud

7. Brian Peppers

Brian Peppers Senior Member

To get copies for your mag, just go to staples and steal copies. Its easy to do... atleast where i live. Or if you're still in high school, lock you're self in the copy room and just go crazy.

8. BIGel

BIGel Elite Member

i do a little zine with some homies here and its not difficult, all it needs is effort. first off, since graffiti is on public space, in the public view, they are public domain, you dont need to credit anybody..at least thats how it is here. as far as publishing goes, there are bound to be some small time publishing shops around your city, they're pretty cheapo and can put something together for you. i dont know the one i do is just a cut and paste diy thing, we dist it out at skate shops and local restaraunts and art gallerys, anywhere thats sympathetic..however ours is free as well so that makes it alot easier to sell. :) if you're interested i can mail you a copy so you can see how a basic one is done.

9. Apple pie

Apple pie Senior Member

big el u gotta mail me one

10. N:Craze

N:Craze Senior Member

this may be true of the piece but not the photo it is a seperate thing.. best thing you can do is get the person that took the photo to sign a release http://cais.isworld.org/copyright.htm shouldnt be to hard w/ graff people its not like its fine art photography is just documentation of pieces and people would probubly love the publicity of being in youre mag

11. Brian Peppers

Oh, and bro, if you ever get that zine up and running, drop me a line, if you live in jersey, i'll give you a hand maybe. I also have wanted to make a zine but an underground one for my school. also, drop me a line if you get good at this shit, i might need some tips too

12. Brian Peppers

Oh and you can talk about new ways for doing graff. Like on the GRL site.

13. BEDAROC

BEDAROC Senior Member

had to bring this thread back from the dead.im doiun the same thing trying to make a graff mag so any new advise anyone can add to this so i can get some input?

14. CrustOner

CrustOner Elite Member

BigEl, Send me one, too.

15. Risk_Inicijativa

Risk_Inicijativa Senior Member

Must bring this thread from the underground. I am doing right now a magazine for the writers in my city. Any things that u thing I could put in? Also I can credit u all writers who want... Later I will tell you what I think to add :)

16. zachatnca

zachatnca Senior Member

please put a chart in one of those magazines comparing different inks and paint side by side. somone really needs to do that.