Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Breakdancing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by What Happened to the Letters?, Mar 6, 2007.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What Happened to the Letters?

What Happened to the Letters? Elite Member

Bboying and graff have gone hand in hand for decades, i know even if you dont know shit abotu BBoying we all know mr wiggles in here :lol: im not saying hes someone you want to emulate but their are some ill Breakers out there like the Gamblers amongst others...

anywyas i jsut htought id throw up a thread for BBoying figured theres bound to be a few people on here interested in it...

RANDOM LINKS:
    [3 step/URL]
    [Headspin/URL]
    [Shoulder Freeze/URL]
    [6 Step/URL]

2. explosivo_420

explosivo_420 Elite Member

The 4 Elements. Check out the Events Calender Thread

3. Steez

Steez Senior Member

i could do the windmill.......... ?

4. Caikerrr one niinee..

Caikerrr one niinee.. Senior Member

A. people constantly start bboyin threads. and they constantly get closed :(

B. can we change the name to the Bboy thread? instead of breakdancing?

aaanyway for those who don't know. Bboy pancakezzz. The rock-it scientistzzz crew. ;)

some more videos...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3-v26I9DI
    Project soul vs. USA in IBE 05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu-Wbu2QxG8
    Bboy physicx trailer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyl5LxmF9-s...related&search=
    and his official trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf54ttEfIFs
    a tricks n freezes compilation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQl9yU9yoUA
    bboy puzzles trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2oZh6BFAc
    bboy miracles trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lRyVeYns3o
    bboy hong 10 trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl80UW7iJYQ
    drifters vs morning of owl.

ill put up more later...

5. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

6. DeDo1

DeDo1 Senior Member

Breakdancing

This thread is about break dancing and what its about. what do you think, like and know about it. i forgot what else i was going to say but here is some info about it if you dont know about the subject.

P.S. I'm sorry i know this is copy and past but i got lazy. I'm sorry for the inconvenience . plz be free to post pictures and videos in this thread thank oyu for your time and enjoy.

Breakdance, breaking, b-boying or b-girling is a street dance style that evolved as part of the hip hop movement among African Americans and Puerto Ricans youths in the South Bronx's of NYC during the early 1970s. It is normally danced to pop, funk or hip hop music, often remixed to prolong the breaks, and is a well-known hip hop dance style. A break dancer, breaker, b-boy or b-girl refers to a person who practices break dancing.

Cartoon of a break dancer displaying a basic freeze, next to a stereotypical boombox.

Since its inception, breakdancing has provided a youth culture constructive alternative to violent urban street gangs. Today, breakdancing culture is a remarkable discipline somewhere in-between those of dancers and athletes . Since acceptance and involvement centers on dance skills, breakdancing culture is usually free of the common race, gender and age boundaries of a subculture and has been accepted worldwide.

Dance techniques

There are four basic elements that form the foundation of Breakdancing. These are Toprock, Downrock (Also known as Footwork),Freezes and Power Moves.
    Toprock refers to any string of steps performed from a standing position, relying upon a mixture of coordination, flexibility, style, and rhythm. It is usually the first and foremost opening display of style, and it serves as a warm-up for transitions into more acrobatic maneuvers. In contrast, downrock includes all footwork performed on the floor as in the 6-step. Downrock is normally performed with the hands and feet on the floor. In downrock, the breakdancer displays his or her proficiency with foot speed and control by performing footwork combinations. These combinations usually transition into more athletic moves known as power moves.
    "Power moves" are actions that require momentum and physical power to execute. In power moves, the breakdancer relies more on upper body strength to dance, using his or her hands to do moves. Power moves include the wind milll, Swipe, and Flare. Because power moves are physically demanding, breakdancers use them as a display of upper body strength and stamina. Many moves are borrowed from gymnastics, such as the flare, and martial arts, with impressive acrobatics such as the Butterfly Kicks.
    Freeze halt all motion in a stylish pose. The more difficult freezes require the breakdancer to suspend himself or herself off the ground using upper body strength, in poses such as the handstand or Pike. Whereas freezing refers to a single pose, locking entails sharp transitions between a series of freezes.
    "Suicides" are another dance move used to signal the end to a routine. Breakers will make it appear that they have lost control and fall onto their backs, stomachs, etc. The more painful the suicide appears, the more impressive it is, but breakdancers execute them in a way to minimize pain. In contrast to freezes, suicides draw attention to the motion of falling or losing control, while freezes draw attention to the final position.

Music

As the clichéd quote "break to the beat" points out, rhythmic music is an essential ingredient for breakdancing. The original songs that popularized the dance form borrow significantly from progressive genres of jazz,soul, funk, electro, disco, and R&B.The most common feature of breakdance music exists in breaks, or compilations formed from samples taken from different songs which are then looped and chained together by the DJ. The tempo generally ranges between 110 and 135 beats per minute with shuffled sixteenth and quarter beats in the percussive pattern. History credits Kool Dj Herc for the invention of this concept, later termed breakbeat.
    The musical selection is not restricted to hip-hop as long as the tempo and beat pattern conditions are met. It can be readily adapted to different music genres (often with the aid of remixing). World competitions have seen the unexpected progressions and applications of heavily European electronica, and even opera. Some b-boys, such as Pierre, even extend it to rock music.

Battles

Battles are an integral part of the b-boying culture. They can take the form of a cypher battle and an organized battle. Both types of battles are head to head confrontations between individuals or groups of dancers who try to out-dance each other.
    The cypher (or the circle) is the name given to a circle of b-boys and/or b-girls who take turns dancing in the center. There are no judges (other than the participants of the cypher itself), concrete rules or restrictions in the cypher, only unsaid traditions. Although people aren't always battling each other in the cypher, there are many times when battles do take place. B-boying began in the cypher and only later did organized competition develop. This type of battle is how b-boying was originally and it is often more confrontational and more personal. The battle goes on until it ends for one of many possible reasons, such as one dancer admitting defeat. Cypher culture is more present in communities with a stronger emphasis and understanding of original, true hip hop culture. Battling in the cypher is also a common way for dancers to settle issues between each other whether it be individuals or crews.
    Organized battles, however, set a format for the battle, such as a time limit, or specify a limit for the number of dancers that can represent each side. Organized battles also have judges, who are usually chosen based on years of experience, level of deeper cultural knowledge, contribution to the scene and general ability to judge in an unbiased manner. There are however, times when non b-boys or non b-girls are chosen to judge by some organizers, and these type of events (jams) are often looked down upon by the b-boying community. Organized battles are far more publicized and known to the mainstream community, and include famous international-level competitions such as Battle of the Year, UK B-Boy Championships Redbull BC One, Freestyle Session and R16 Korea. It should be noted however that a view exists that a trend in recent years has been to place an over-emphasis on organized battles, which takes away from a more originality-based aspect of the culture that is often more emphasized in cypher culture.

7. RUDE_Bwoy

RUDE_Bwoy Elite Member

if you dont know wat breakin is you shouldnt be writing

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  8. SBOMBS

SBOMBS Elite Member

bump dedo and her bad ideas....tsss tsss

9. WoeInfinite

WoeInfinite Elite Member

haha oh damn, i remember me n my boy used to roll out his moms linoleum flooring, and break dance on it in like 5th grade
    haha
    we'd try to be cool and get them spins down n shit.
    those were the daysssss

10. BosoeHNT

BosoeHNT Senior Member

...you called it break dancing...

...fuckin BREAK DANCING...

...then just copy pasted a load of shit....

...you fail at thread making, and hip hop culture...

...seriously WHAT THE FUCK...

11. RUDE_Bwoy

RUDE_Bwoy Elite Member

and to add to that its not really called "breakdancing" its breakin.get it straight if your gonna make a thread about it

12. Thrice

Thrice Elite Member

B-boying is some sick shit, kind of going in a shitty direction tho. I tried to do it, but didn't really work out so I kept it to writing.

13. atlok7

atlok7 Elite Member

ive been trying to learn the toprock and i have the right steps but it doesn't look right in motion/ some one help me!!

14. Bazer

Bazer Moderator

i think theres already a thread about breakin.....

15. g3zt

g3zt Senior Member

thread starter... do you even break?

16. weak0ner

weak0ner Moderator

fucking skanksssss.

17. Kao.Ali

Kao.Ali Senior Member

hell yes. Ive been bboying since I started highschool and I just graduated. My crew just broke up since were all going our seperate ways to college and the military and shit like that. Shits hella sad.
    Im also not too happy with the dance scene right now. shows like next dance crew and so you think you can dance are weakening the culture. thats life though.

18. WoeInfinite

WoeInfinite Elite Member

word.
    :(

19. ESKiMO2

ESKiMO2 Elite Member

I'm pretty sure the name was changed to break dancing was made when it became mainstream. All the rich white kids would tell their parents they're going to go breaking and the parents would have a heart attack. The birth of the name Break Dancing.

20. ODonthesetrees

ODonthesetrees Elite Member

i made a thread about this a while ago, there isnt much to say after the first 3 or so pages...its not something that can be taught over the internet, so unless you start sharing videos or something this thread will die

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.