Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Flaring?

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Jayjay10, Jul 24, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Jayjay10

Jayjay10 Member

How do I flare? And don't just say "Flick your wrist"...
    Can you do it with any caps like a stock dollar paint can?
    Thanks yall

2. Ray of Today

Ray of Today Elite Member

3. echoV

echoV Senior Member

4. HexxInkworks

HexxInkworks Senior Member

tell you what, why dont you get a dollar can of paint and try it out? the concept isnt that hard to figure out

5. Jayjay10

Jayjay10 Member

I've already done it that's what i am saying. Every time i practice flaring i take a can and flick my wrist hard until i fracture it. The line comes out fucking retarded. It's still straight it just fades away not even expanding in size towards the top. I also tried starting close to the wall then moving the paint can back from the wall as i spray but the size of the fucking line doesn't go from small to big. it just drips. Very autistic.

6. Ray of Today

I think you mean retarded as even an autistic could do it. Actually, so could a retard, so you're really doing something wrong here. Any can of paint should realisticaly make a flare, maybe not the biggest greatest thing but in other words if you're moving the can off and away from the wall the spray is going to come out wider and fuzzier than when sprayed directly, straight forward. If you're trying to make the big, popping flares then you need fatter caps for that.

7. Ray of Today

8. Jayjay10

Jayjay10 Member

What a tease lol
    yea like those is what i mean. I don't get how a fat cap can go from fat lines to super small lines though. doesn't make sense and how can i make a fat cap from like a dollar can stock tip? I've tried making the hole bigger with an exacto knife but that aint work. If I pry out the little white part will it make it spray fat? I've already done it but cant test it out cuz i gots no mo cans

9. Ray of Today

Well fuck man you've got problems on top of problems. Yeah, if you remove a piece the spray will be wwider, but you're better off just ordering some fat caps or finding a place around that sells them. How it all works is perfect sense and can be filed under can control I suppose. You practice, you learn. Today's spray paints made for writers with their thicker paint are much easier to make thin, non-dripping lines with fat caps that you can pop out into big flares like the gifs above. There's also the idea of 'blaster caps' that make even bigger flares, think one can that the caps came on were spray cans of undercoat for cars. You might hear some of the fat caps referred to as 'softball' as the round spray, like at the top of that X, is the size of a softball.

10. Ray of Today

And now, back to this...
    amedia.giphy.com_media_12TGsewzFyNuOQ_giphy.gif

11. echoV

echoV Senior Member

take it back to the 80s and go browse other aerosol cans...
    find an aerosol can of glass cleaner or some sort of foaming-cleaner, put that cap on a Rusto.
    --fat cap

12. Jayjay10

Jayjay10 Member

Yea I know that but the cans i got are female and a good majority of the caps you can get from those shits are female caps... :(

I would buy caps but ima broke boy, dont know how to order online and i find all my cans welp... thanks yall if you would so kindly make donations to my paypal account by clicking on my fourm name then finding the private message button and shoot me a little pm with all your credit card information that'd be swell.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  13. echoV

echoV Senior Member

if you cant buy a cap adapter that'll make male caps fit on female cans, see if youtube or sum'm has a video to make something to use.
    some of the adapters i've seen are Wingtip Cap Adaptor, Sekt Cap Adaptor, or the aluminum/keychain ones from "classicadapters . bigcartel . com"

14. HexxInkworks

the whole reason why the fat cap gets thin lines is becuase you move closer to the wall with it, but if you dont move fast enough with the line then it drips, thats why people start slow and always end fast

15. azerone

azerone Member

Put some astro fat's and try out man, a good way to practice for me was learn how to make lines far from the wall, not to have precise lines but to make lines lighter. And of course, practicing how to tag with fatcap helps a lot, i used to buy one dollar can and use it just to practice tagging and different types of line. Check out "Sliks" video in YT and Instagram.

16. HexxInkworks

doesnt really need to be an astro just any fat cap should do and i didnt know sliks had a yt?

17. azerone

azerone Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  18. DFEKT1

DFEKT1 Senior Member

14938329_10207998262299924_4809591714820063110_n.jpg

Start with your hand upwards,
    as you move along the wall,
    flick your wrist out in the direction you want to flare.
    It's simple.

19. Hythe Brand

Hythe Brand Member

One of my favorite techniques, nothing like a clean flare tag.
    They can be done with any cap to a degree, but it is a lot more fun with like a NY fat.
    I learned by playing around with the spray, adjusting the angle of the can and how the paint landed on the wall.
    The actual flare is created by the paint being spread out at a shallow angle to the wall, you're almost blowing it out of the can parallel.
    When you become comfortable manipulating the spray, you can incorporate it into your writing.
    I like to think of using the spray like a calligraphy pen or brush.

Hope that helps, watching videos and just attempting it repeatedly is the best way to learn.