Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Tips for small town artist (like really small towns)

Discussion in 'Picture gallery' started by UpstageBadger, Nov 27, 2016.

Share This Page

1. UpstageBadger

UpstageBadger Member

I'm just getting into graffiti art (that's not on paper) and I
    Was wondering if their is any tips for doing graffiti on the streets, in a small town,

2. AnewWriter

AnewWriter New Member

Im also in a pretty small town but not too far up the road from where i live, theres an abandoned racetrack so i go there and practice or just listen to iitslic and sketch, on the weekends people do some illegal racing there but i havent ran into them but you just need to find a chill spot to practice (i use google earth) and from there you can find places to tag

3. alonerz

alonerz Member

I wouldnt recommend doing it in a small town. Its way more frowned upon in small towns. The cops will be way more strict and if anyone at all sees you doing it they will most likely report you. Tbh....find a backyard that you own and just get a huge sheet of wood or some shit.

4. EBA

EBA Elite Member

I found out really quick that it's impossible to do illegal activity of any kind in a small town without people figuring it out pretty quickly. Even a mid-sized town like the one I'm in... It doesn't matter how anonymous you keep it. Unless you have a freight yard nearby that has freights that travel cross-country. Forget trying to go "All City" You pretty much will get caught somehow.

5. UpstageBadger

UpstageBadger Member

Thanks for the warnings guys.

6. 0113

0113 Senior Member

Personally I haven't got any problems with doing what illegal activity whatsoever in my own city, not the biggest as well with just 27.000 inhabitants. Of course it depends on the time and place where you do your thing but let's say tags and throws shouldn't be a huge problem, at least it has never been for me. A good tip is don't anyone that and what you write, as with smaller villages people talk a lot.

7. UpstageBadger

UpstageBadger Member

8. 0113

0113 Senior Member

Friend of mine used to live in a town nearby with the same number, have been doing graffiti since years. Wouldn't let it stop you in your plans.

9. EBA

EBA Elite Member

The problem is, I got a visit from a cop who went to our church because he figured it all out on his own. I never shared info or stuff with anybody. If you just seem like the type, in a small town they will probably have you on a list.

10. ven0m

ven0m or Phat2

Depends on what you paint, in my opinion
    if you're good (like proper good that makes people stop and admire) I'd try my best to befriend people in the area where I paint.
    If you're mature and look like it. If you're painting on surfaces that don't affect people's lives. If you're nice and just tell them truthfully that you mean nobody any harm, just looking for a calm corner to express your "artistic side" without bothering anyone, people will understand.
    Throws and Tags will surely get you into trouble because they're too "vandal-y" and no commoner will understand your motivation to paint them. Either way, if you're in a small town, I seriously don't see the point in heavily bombing the place. a couple throws every once in a while though are surely encouraged ^_^

however, I live in a completely different part of the world and how I deal with shit might not apply where you are, but I've learned through my few travels (so far) that people have more commonalities than differences. Some are just plain grumpy, but most are just looking for an explanation because they don't understand Graffiti and Writers.

Smaller towns mean tighter communities. Just be nice and become the town artist. You might just be able to get some work from it :)

just my 2 cents. hope it helps.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  11. echoV

echoV Senior Member

the 1st thing to do is n0t talk to the cops; especially about shyt that isn't effecting the safety of the ppl in your town.
    if/when you d0 have no other option than to talk to the cops-- deny knowing anything about everything they ask. if you're n0t under arrest, then ur not obligated to 'conversate' with them. if you ARE under arrest, asking for a lawyer is the only thing you should say. don't help these fat donut eating wanna be commando fckboys do the job that y0u pay 'em to do... especially when you aren't harming anyone.
    in my opinion tho, you should have a handle on tags, throwies, and piecing (legal ones or good ole illegal ones), but you also need to accept the reality that you might go to jail or beat up by cops, bums or locals. i'm not saying that you shouldn't try to stay outta jail tho.. you should always avoid the booty house, but keeping those 'possibilities' in mind should guide how u plan out this lifestyle ur choosing.

12. UpstageBadger

UpstageBadger Member