Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Am I considered a Toy?

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by alonerz, Dec 16, 2016.

Share This Page

1. alonerz

alonerz Member

My tag is ALONER or ALONERZ. I've been writing basic graffiti and bubble letters since I was 10. But I'm just not getting into it hard not that I'm out living on my own. Just give me your thoughts on if I'm a toy or not, and if I am, what needs to be improved. And yes, I am working on shadowing. Please no hate <3

Attached Files:

2. Abesk

Abesk Senior Member

That's terrible advice. Biting is never an option.

Yes, you are a toy. Don't take it too hard, everyone starts that way.
    What you need to do is learn letter form. You're putting a bunch of elements in there that you think graffiti is supposed to be, thinking that it will make your shit real graffiti. That's not how it works. Graffiti is letters. I can't stress that enough. Understand the way letters work. Do basic keyboard letters over and over and over again until its second nature. Learn how handstyles work. Then you can go from there. Go basic. Write your alphabet. Chill with all the extra shit.

3. PUTS

PUTS Elite Member

Listen to Abesk bro, biting is probably the worst idea you can possibly do.

4. echoV

echoV Senior Member

yeah--- u don't ever want your style to be bitten off some1 else's work. being inspired by other writers is the way to go if you choose to, but don't be bogus about it and not give credit where its' due

you'll see this advice given reaaaaaal often on here, and you can think of it like this: waaaaay back when you were a saggy-bottom toothless baby, any moment you had an unsupervised moment with a writing utensil, you wrote on the walls like you were playing with toys: you weren't drawing and you weren't writing anything- you didn't know WTF you were doing & this was a toy to you. mommy and daddy probably decided that giving you paper would be good advice.
    now that you're 'grown,' it seems like having rules like knowing letter structure is retarded, right? esp. if we're talking about something that's illegal to do. but among graffitti 'writers,' seeing someone simply putting colors on walls is like catching an unsupervised child playing with their toy-crayons, and the advice is still: use paper til you're writing and drawing.
    ...you don't have to follow any advice, obviously, but then you can't be considered a 'writer' either-- its sort of a packaged-deal.

5. Ahem

Ahem Senior Member

OP, you are very much a Toy, but that's ok. As others mentioned start very simple, do keyboard letters and construct your letters from bars to understand structure. Style will come gradually.

And roll your walls. You don't want layers of paint on your actual walls and fumes in your house, bad idea. If you feel the need to practice at home w/ paint, buy some chipboard or something.

6. 4YOU2

4YOU2 Member

OP

Been doing graffiti for a year now, but as a side hobby. Never did drawings everyday, nor week, only drew sometimes when I really felt like it.

From what I've learnt in that year is that at the start it does not matter if you bite as long as you don't go around claiming it is your own work. Bite to practice on paper. As someone mentioned you need to learn the bar structure of every single letter, then use that structure and once you get confident drawing letters without it, add curves, increase the length on one bar, bend it, whatever.

Don't do wildstyle, throwies, or shit like that. You can, but I don't advise you to. Do simple pieces like literally just the basic fucking bars and focus on getting them sharp. Do that on paper, then with a can. You won't have much of a style but you'll have a basic neat letter structure which people can read rather than ALONER with retarded curves and sharp edges on the side of the bar.

7. Ghostgirl

Ghostgirl New Member

I don't want to seem stupid but can you explain what it means do draw keyboard. Do you mean literally copy keyboard letters? And bars, is it simplifying the alphabet into just bars?

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

Yes, it literally means to copy the letters that are on your keyboard. Those super simple and basic ones that everyone can recognize instantly. This will teach you the structure of the letters.

Bars refers to the actual lines of a written letter. You would sketch these lines as thicker bars.

9. Ghostgirl

Ghostgirl New Member

Thanks for the clarification

10. MINE2 : C.H.A.P.S. CRU

MINE2 : C.H.A.P.S. CRU Senior Member

Dry
    Yeah, drywall and plywood are pretty cgeap at your local home depot or lowes, they make good "practice walls". You xan always slap a fresh coat of paint over your old pieces & start over as many times as you want. Keep practicing though you'll get better

11. MINE2 : C.H.A.P.S. CRU

Also bro, (no disrespect) never bite!! It'll be extremely hard to establish yourself as a legit writer if you get a reputation of a biter, thats way worst than being toy. As a toy you can get better in skill. I learned by getting around writers in my area & getting pointers from them, picking up & practicing the basics. Your own style will develop from that. Today, theres lots of youtubers that give good pointers also. Doke, Priimal (Quse), Grim from Artist Block & Steve's Art Studio are some just to name a few that I personally like. Check them out.

12. Dret-one

Dret-one Senior Member

Whats considered bitting and what is considered influence i understand when youre stealing a whole letters its bitting but every one takes influance from something

13. hungover

hungover Elite Member

you just defined it yourself

biting is like a photocopy of someone elses work. Influence is the end point, where your own style has developed out of a combination of a bunch of factors

14. MINE2 : C.H.A.P.S. CRU

Influence is taking something you like and adding it to your own unique style to improve or evolve your own style, biting on the other hand is straight copying with no style of your own or originality