Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

My perspective on Graffiti and "Toys"

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by CLOSE, Jan 17, 2017.

Share This Page

1. CLOSE

CLOSE New Member

I don't think anyone has realized this except, you know maybe the people who get it, very few... Anyways the whole thing about "Toys" is honestly fucked up, we all were once bad, or worse than you are now if you still suck, but no one should consider anyone else "Toy" because they are getting up and shit and you see it and get a little scared of them beating you to your place you wanted to hit. People really need to respect everyone, consider no one a "Toy" unless they bring it up to you... In my opinion, calling someone a Toy or calling yourself a Toy is really fucking stupid because as you know what they say "All Toys call other people Toys" That being said just respect everyone unless they disrespect you to start with... Peace

2. Abesk

Abesk Senior Member

Nah, the idea of calling out people that need improvement is a staple in graffiti and graffiti culture. When someone comes into the graff scene they almost always think they're better than they are. If they're not told otherwise, they're gonna run around slapping their ugly shit all over the place and destroying the scene. Graffiti is about letter form, and it takes people a long time to figure that out on their own. There has to be a hierarchy. The OGs deserve the respect they've earned from years in the game. The ones in between have to acknowledge where they're at and do their part to mentor the new jack. Respect in graffiti is not like respect everywhere else in the world. You don't just deserve it. You earn it.

What you're saying is at odds with the decades of progress that graffiti has made.

3. PUTS

PUTS Elite Member

4. echoV

echoV Senior Member

"...wait---- so there's no such thing as a "safe space" in graffitti? But what about my feelings?" replied Echo, with a hint of sarcasm.

5. DyS$kyse

DyS$kyse Banned

ie actually like the term toy i consider myself a toy and i have been writing for like 10 years maybe eleven shit just sound cool i dont think that anyone is bad at art though it is a free form of expression and it really just depends on how long you stay at it sometime you get lucky and put the pen to the write spot and draw something you never thought that you ever could and sometime you be in the middle of doing something really important and make one wrong move and destroy the entire picture but its alright some people get off with tracing and placing

6. Abesk

Abesk Senior Member

Lmao @ safe space

7. DyS$kyse

DyS$kyse Banned

i will be a toy all my life also i dont know what comes next king veteran?

8. ClintBeastwood

ClintBeastwood Member

excellent breakdown

9. Kryo

Kryo Member

OP, here's the thing... I'm plagerizing here, as I read this info back when I was like 12, but it's a perfect metaphor for what a Toy is: Newb and Noob. Both are commonly misused and interchanged incorrectly. A Noob is someone who's slow to start, someone who just doesn't get it. He's someone who either is too stupid or too cocky to catch up to the rest in any timely fashion. A NEWB on the other hand is just a new guy. He could know nothing, a little, or way more than expected. It's not derogatory, and he's not really any different than most just starting out, and most of us were in the same boat once upon a time.

Here inghe graf world, we have the same concept, only, there's no "leet-speak" spelling alternative when we DO use it in a vulgar fashion. For the most part, when we say you're a toy or we're toys, we're just saying you or we have some improving to do. Most of the time.

On the other hand, sometimes a toy is the kid who got his ass beat in jail by another writer because he got caught putting cope2 on a church wall.

It's all in the context and demeanor, man.