Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Philosophy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LongQuan, Nov 16, 2004.

Share This Page

1. LongQuan

LongQuan Senior Member

This may not seem obviously connected to the art of wwriting but I believe it is so...

Post here with your ideas concerning life the universe and everything.

Here's a statement that I enjoyed considering when I was about 12 (most of you guys are young, innit):

"When you leave a room how can you, as an individual, be sure that the room you just left still exists?"

:huh:

Think about it (I don't want replys to this particular question I just want you to post your beliefs)

peace

2. yuki

yuki Elite Member

For some reason this comes to mind:

"If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around to hear it
    does it make a sound?"

So, I ran a search on it, and this is what I came up with:

treez

Not exactly philosophy, but definitely something that made me think.

3. the infamous one

the infamous one Elite Member

long quan i really like your philosophy dude...

4. Okes burns over She77

Okes burns over She77 Senior Member

you bitches need to shut the fuck down

5. yuki

yuki Elite Member

Patience grasshopper.

Somebody write some shit about buddhism.

6. LongQuan

LongQuan Senior Member

For Yuki:

I have been studying Buddhism daily for about a year now. There are sites which give an overview of the philosophy so I can reccomend finding some on google.

The main thing about the buddha is that, although he was a person like you and me, he is not god personified. He was an Indian prince who had everything he could ever want and didn't understand why he was still unhappy.

So he decided to leave his palace and all of his material wealth to become a beggar and find the answer to his problem. He eventually discovered that the truth lay within not without and ended up meditating for 15 years in a forest.

He walked out of the forest as the enlightened Buddha who no longer suffered from the burdens of Samsara (illusion). He was filled with the interdependent sense that all sentiet beings were interrelated and so all were one. And yet, so many still struggled with Samsara throughout their lives. There was nothing else he could do but feel deep compassion at the sufferring of all things and he dedicated the rest of his life to leading others to enlightenment.

The teachings that he gave are the lifeguide for the buddhist and (this is one of my favourite bits) he specifically asks you to test everything he says adding that nothing should be taken at face value and belived because you have been told to believe it.

- That's a very rough sketch of Shakyamuni (the first Buddha) and little of the actual philosophies practised by Buddhists if you (especially Yuki) want a little bit more than pm me with your email address.

Peace

7. LongQuan

LongQuan Senior Member

8. sika_2002

sika_2002 Elite Member

theres 10 billion trillion trillion planets in our universe according to scientists (10 followed by 33 zeros) thats alot, but considering the size of our universe the chance of the being another life form, such as aliens is 10 billion trillion. there ya go. ill have loads more later from some book of mine

9. sika_2002

sika_2002 Elite Member

" theres a certain amount of people in the world, what are the chances that theres is always an equal amount, for example. when one person dies another is born. Thus there will always be the same amount of people

10. toazt

toazt Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Bertrand Russell (among other philosophers), here's a little piece I found of him thts particularly relevant today, with so many people slaving away at jobs they don't enjoy. Bertrand Russell - In Praise of Idleness

One of the interesting ideas he touches on here is the average workday being shortened from 8 to 4 hours, this would provide more jobs for everyone, and more time for leisure.

I'll probably make another post here with some other ideas I've found interesting.

11. toazt

toazt Senior Member

I found some rather interesting blogs yesterday on Guerrilla News.

Jesus was a Stoned Buddha
    Jesus was Buddha
    Jesus was a Buddhist

I met this one Jesus cat in the plaza in downtown Santa Fe, NM, he kind of put me on to King Solomon and the book of Proverbs. Good shit, if you ask me. I am by no means a devout Christian in the sense that is widely accepted today (I think a lot of these folks aren't Christians at all), I'm not with dogma. I am however, all about doing right, as I understand it, and I believe the teachings of Christ make more sense when equated with those of the Buddha.

12. Atom

Atom Senior Member

Heres a good one

" what if you, as a whole was just wiped from existence, no one remebered you. The things that happened directly to you never happened. The people you met, talked to, or even just say hey to. What if those never existed, they were just gone, erased from your memory. Would have they happend anyways without you."

Yea I'm High. :D

13. InfamusDsin

InfamusDsin Member

"There is no Reality Only Perception"-

Things arent what they seem to be, they are what you make of them to be, all in your mind. Reconstructed by the very thought you created of what they are.

14. Kayone707

Kayone707 Moderator

you and your wang-chang-chong stuff..... i cant understand you.. white power...

15. Adamo

Adamo Elite Member

:D :D :D nice

something simple i go by is "It is better to be smarter than you look, then to look smarter then you really are."

:blink:

16. Skore_One

Skore_One Elite Member

why?...theres mine

17. /*BlItZ*\

/*BlItZ*\ Senior Member

i got something...

i was talking to my chemistry teacher about molecular bonds and shit and i asked her about particle accelerators, she told me when a couple of chemists tried to bond gold and gold(its like O is pure oxygen, O2 is what we breath, O3 is ozone)
    but gold is a stable atom and it wont share electrons so it takes alot of force...so MUCH force that scientists band the project because they where afraid it would create a rip in time and space and our deminsion would bond with the anti-matter deminsion and we would be anihalated into nothingness...and that got me thinking stuff like are we alone and would god let something like that happen...just some deep shit

18. CaSoNe

CaSoNe Elite Member

i wanna go into a black hole

19. CaSoNe

CaSoNe Elite Member

yeah im too lazy to edit my other post but u know how space travel is becoming more common and things like that? imaging doing graffifi on the moon? hahah that would be awesome...does anybody own the moon? what if i went there and killed 100 people would i get like punished when i came back to earth? and does the ant artic have a government? i meen nobody lives there i bet u culd get away with anything there

20. ANTIC

ANTIC Elite Member

if i think broccoli tastes great but u hate it...what does it really taste like?