Home     Graffiti Shop     Forum
Earn / Redeem Credits
Page 302 of 325 FirstFirst ... 202252282292297298299300301302303304305306307312322 ... LastLast
Results 6,021 to 6,040 of 6482

Thread: Vancouver

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Police unveil cardboard cops

A life-size replica of a Vancouver traffic cop pointing a radar gun at oncoming traffic was unveiled Thursday on city streets.

By The Vancouver Sun June 6, 2008 Be the first to post a comment
    StoryPhotos ( 1 )

A life-size replica of a Vancouver traffic cop pointing a radar gun at oncoming traffic was unveiled Thursday on city streets.

The police force has up to eight replica cops that initially will be deployed on Knight Street to try to reduce speeding and traffic fatalities.

"There may or may not be a police officer behind one of these cut-outs," Vancouver police traffic Staff Sgt. Ralph Pauw said at a news conference.

Police will erect several on poles at the start of their shifts "and will stand behind one, two or all three of them," then take them down at the end of shifts, he said.

The fake officers were relatively inexpensive to make, Pauw said.

"We got the city sign shop to put them together, so it's really only the cost of the plastic," he said, adding the cardboard is covered in rainproof plastic, so any graffiti just wipes off.

The cut-outs were tested on the street for a few hours earlier this week and "a tow-truck driver pulled up and started talking to it," Pauw said.

The cut-outs will initially be deployed along Knight St. because it is one of the worst corridors for traffic fatalities and injuries, he said, adding there were 25 fatalities in Vancouver last year and seven so far this year. Vancouver police have recorded motorists speeding along Knight Street at up to 115 km/h in a 50 km/h zone, he said.

"The average ticketed speed is 84 km/h," Pauw said. "We're just trying anything that works to reduce those numbers."

The cardboard cops are part of a police initiative called Operation Silhouette, which will run for the next six months in various locations around the city.

City engineering staff recorded speeds along problem streets before the operation began and will check in six months to see whether the operation met its goal of reducing speeding. The price of speeding tickets ranges from $138 to $483, depending on how much the driver exceeds the speed limit, police said.

A reporter noted that fake police cars have been used to slow down speeders in Texas and Arizona, but asked if fake cops had been used in another jurisdiction. Pauw said he asked the B.C. Automobile Association that same question. "The only thing they could come up with is that in Europe they had fake intersection light cameras set up," he said.

nhall@png.canwest.com

Would like to try it on the real thing!!!
    Last edited by SecretLanguageOfBirds; 08-05-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

That Demos rooftop is what's good.

i gotta give it to him, the spot is sick

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

LETS GET THIS SHIT GOING

Last edited by WHOTHEFUCKAREYOU; 08-12-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: none of ur business

smooth pimping man? i second that.
    good to see some lake up here, that's who was up, along with eerie, when i was there. via westjet.

anyone wanna get down and paint pm me

what the fuck thats the gayiest video i have ever seen! why the fuck are you using a peice of cardboard to get ur lines straight you poser, go kill you self already - the biggiest chiefer around

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

random caught at SHAD in stanley park:

"One, an illegible scribble usually found on sidewalks and utility poles, has appeared in dozens of locations along West Broadway and Davie Street, as well as on Granville Street all the way from Kerrisdale to the downtown core."

was in vancouver a couple months ago, reefer and kober are up as fuck

reefer and kober are by far the most up in vancouver these days... I see them everywhere i go... and if i don't.. a truck they've hit drives past me in traffic.
    ----

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Lets talk about them more.

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

J.O. Grad 75!

All stolen AC, im bored