Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21217181920212223242526273242 ... LastLast

ok whoever left that comment on below me is a fucking retard
    first off graffiti is art
    it has style, color, and origionallity
    what else would it need?
    im 15 and i know more about graffiti that this guy

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

OK i am goin to sum this up for all of you people. If your into it for just kicks and vandalism cool thats one half of graffiti. But if you are like me and dont know why you do it then you might be doin it for the expression there for it is art.

this dicussion could go on forever. i think its both. artistic vandalism. but whats makes your tag/bomb/peace betther then the toys. is it that its more artistic?

Last edited by JadedSketches; 01-06-2008 at 10:39 PM.

doing a pen tag, throw up, or peice on someones public or privte property is a form of vandalism called 'graffiti'. It doesnt matter what it looks like its vandalism.

but if you were to take the same tag,throw up or peice onto a canvas, paper or a leagl spot it would then be a form of art. this art form generally called 'graffiti'.

n. pl. graf·fi·ti (-t)
    A drawing or inscription made on a wall or other surface, usually so as to be seen by the public.

van·dal·ism n.
    Willful or malicious destruction of public or private property.
    yeh

the school shooting at columbine was art

As long making art was the purpose from the start its art. If vandalism was the purpose from the start its vandalism. I would rather call graffiti illegal art if its done in a place that isnt legal and made by purpose to do art.
    BoRe-719-
    </div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>art is self expression, bieng told u cant express urself is like some kind of tyrannical dictatorship telling you what you can and cant do</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'>

I&#39;m new to the whole thing, but I see it all as art.
    The definition
    Art Pronunciation Key (ärt)
    n.

1. Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.
    1. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
    2. The study of these activities.
    3. The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.
    3. High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.

It fits the description. To me, graf is beauty, whether it&#39;s as you said, scribble on a powerbox or a throwie on a wall. To me it&#39;s expression of yourself.

But I guess it has it&#39;s own meaning to each of us, or maybe I haven&#39;t discovered the true meaning.

Keep pondering
    Wow... This fucking sounds like something I&#39;d come up with.
    </div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>I&#39;d duct tape twigs and shit all over myself then use the Krylon camo paint to make sure it&#39;s all done correctly. When you&#39;ve got that covered, sneak in all quiet like and wait for the next coming of jesus. If the crips give ya trouble,...light yourself on fire and yell &quot;Twinkies&#33;&quot; a lot...that&#39;s what my dad would do.. h34r:</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'>

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

It to some degree is an art, If your just taking a can and writing "BITCH" or some stupid girls phonenumber, then thats not art. thats wasting a can and wall space.
    But if you take a look at big piece&#39;s, hands, or just throwups even they can be beautiful,
    you mix/use certain colors to make this beautiful piece of work that you spend time on. I think thats what art is.
    I usually think of my pieces as like little babys, I love them all and put as much effort into them as i can to make them wonderful and perfect. Thats just what i think.

REST IN POWER WASTER12TONY<3
    LIFE WITHOUT ME
    WAKE UP YA
    HAVIN BAD DREAMS

Unded - Word...
    Jez - Word...

Both together = my thoughts as well

Edit:

In addition, when using principles of art: Line, Dimension, Value, Shading, etc...to create a work which is to convey a concept, story, emotion, action or any other thing of the sort is art, especially when it has to do with the application of ones acquired techniques, skills, and tools. When you make the extra effort to share your vision with the public and begin to apply un-orthodox or intuitive means of portrayal…e.g. creating or using improvised tools such as stencils, mops, wheat paste, or scribes. Also in one way or another, has a provocative nature. People stop to look or think about what ever it was they just saw and/or it has inspiring qualities. I know the reason I got into graffiti wasn’t because I am a deviant vandal. Could still be inappropriate within boundaries, lets face it some topics are not tolerated by any race, class, or creed. Swastikas, racial/degrading slurs, random immature scribbles: “4:20”, “fuck”, “fag” or any gang related crap…is not art, it’s stupid, and if I catch you giving all of us real writers a bad image because you think you “cool” for writing anything of that nature, I will tax whatever supplies you are carrying and I will paint “HERB” across your back after I beat your ass. Any way, that’s my personal take on the whole bit…let me know if you agree or disagree or whatever...it is impervious to the salvation of graffiti that we stop morons from writing all slander...and we recruit kids who have interest in our culture...
    <span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>Step One</span> - <span style=\'color:yellow\'>Toys R Us Crew (TRU)</span>

<span style=\'colorrange\'>throw-ups like a bolemic cheerleader</span></span>

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

I totally agree with you on the whole "immature" shit, i cannot stand it, Thats one of the main reasons why i think graffiti is banned, becuase people cant be mature enough to use it, I mean ive seen Crazy beautiful tags that say "PENIS" or "CUNT" but they atleast put some effort into making a "foul" word be something to enjoy looking at,
    Fuck all you bitches who write dumb shit. You deserve to get arrested.

REST IN POWER WASTER12TONY<3
    LIFE WITHOUT ME
    WAKE UP YA
    HAVIN BAD DREAMS

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

It&#39;s art when its done in murals and productions and legal stuff but vandalism when its done on illeagly(sp?) so i went with no because most graff that you see isnt legal.
    SEAZ

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Originally posted by aces@May 1 2006, 05:30 PM
    It&#39;s art when its done in murals and productions and legal stuff but vandalism when its done on illeagly(sp?) so i went with no because most graff that you see isnt legal.
    word up. fuck toys who think every tag and throw is art.
    handstyles and throws are not art.
    "its a beautiful thing with colors and i use it to express myself"
    99% of people who say shit like that are mad toys with no style or can control

unless you are a chill spot piecer, or a prod piecer, etc, most of the shit you do is probably not art. its for the purpose of getting up, not expressing your innermost feelings and secrets.
    gay bitches
    sickswonfiev
    The position of the artist is humble. He is essentially a channel ~ Piet Mondrian

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Originally posted by GeSuS_KRiST@Jan 25 2005, 03:28 PM
    ok im tired of here a whole bunch of toys try to tell me graffiti is art, personally i think graffiti is vandlism.... im out for the distruction and getting my name up not to do art.... i see nothing artist about scribles on electrical boxes and tosses on people personal stuff... dont get me wrong graffiti take up a BIG part in my life but yea...

graffiti stoped being art once it was taken out of the ghettos where it made it the dark depressing broken down walls ect into something colorful and gave kids hope and somthing to do instead of gang banging ect...

but i wanna see your everyones views on this, who know if might even help some people out with doing reports in school
    i think thats a really good point, and its kind of sad because most of us probably dont live in a hard neighborhood at all (including myself) so the motives for doing graffiti are definetly different from what they were years ago.

i think i would like to call graffiti art, especially now that there is such a sudden overload of &#39;street art&#39; popping around everywhere.
    but at the same time that graffiti is going in the direction of taking more artistic skill - with some types of street art and whatnot - there is also the same non-art graffiti going around, these days more than ever with crap like Marc Ecko video games influencing everybody
    SUP

Art is basically anything that you say/do/make that expresses you in some way. So technically, everyone can say Graffiti is art in that scence. &#39;Graffiti&#39; itself is to broad of a subject to be concidered all art or not, and everyones going to have diffrent views, and these are mine..

Bombing and pieceing are art. Your spend time, skill, and hard work into making amazing looking masterpieces and making people just look at it and think. Quick throwies with bad fill-ins, and markers that drip so much so you think someone just threw paint on there is not. (Im a big fan of having it clean and sharp, were Im coming from). It all depends on why people got into graff.

Anyone who wants to battle, Im up for it.
    </div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'> i collect pokemon cards

PM me if you wanna pokebattle
    </td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'>
    </div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE (sc0peone)</td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>A racoon once attacked my face because i painted its babys.</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'>

Graffiti being art depends on what type it is. If its just a scribble on an electrical box or a roller than no. But if its a giant mural or a wildstyle than ofcourse

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Graffiti=vandalism, straight up

Legals=art

I never use to think it was unti i started going down to toronto. I thought graffiti all the graff near the trains were great. So ya i think it is art. Its an urban way to express your emotions thru spray paint or markers or stenciling.
    range\'>"Parkour is not a way of life but a state of being."

Jesus was Black,Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the governent is lying about 9/11.-The Boondocks

[COLOR=yellow']
    :TRANZ:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green']9-0H-5[/COLOR]

i saw that image over a year ago in some newspaper article about iraq. what a staged looking picture, i wonder who&#39;s job it was to set that one up.

aight well the way i see it is graffiti is neither art nor vandalism yet at the same time is both. What it all comes down to is graffiti is graffiti, bottom line. its and artistic form of vandalism or a vandalistic ( i dotn even think thats a word) form of art. Beuty is in the eye of the beholder. To one person it can be viewed as a beutiful piece of art, to another its just some more scribbling that will have to be painted over. Excuse me if i soudn liek a rambling idiot but thats just my 2 cents plus i am very baked haha.
    -SRH-