Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Time for gettin out.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bazer, Mar 30, 2008.

Share This Page

?

whatchoo think nukkuh?

1. Start painting

26.4%
  2. Wait a little

43.0%
  3. Do what you want

30.6%
  1. Bazer

Bazer Moderator

A recent post in the toy section made by someone (whos name i wont mention because this isn't about him) that was something like:

made we wonder what alot of you guys think.
    As in, do you guys think a head should wait until theyre dope/semi-dope to start fuckin shit up?
    Or do you guys think if they wanna be a graff writer they should go out and write real graffiti.
    OOOOOOOOOORRR do you guys think its up to the person thats doing it. (like it was before the internet <3)

Personally, I never put much thought into my opinion but when i first started out I used to just grab a can of black and catch 3 or 4 tags when i went skateboarding then call it a night, but as i progressed i felt the need to hit up much harder and leave my board at home... So I didn't really start with throwies n stuff, making ugly things on the street, but i started painting right away, which now is how i think it should be.

2. mosezone

mosezone Senior Member

yea, that's exactly how i started out. i'd bring a marker and catch some wack tags, and i eventually got a little better and started just driving into the city and walking around catching tags/hitting spots, and leaving my board out of it because it makes you look more suspect at times.

3. IlikePie

IlikePie Elite Member

I started out just painting right away, before I had a name set or anything. Was like in 8th grade and me and my friend grabbed a can of red and black paint and just started hitting shit up with whatever we thought would sound cool. He dropped off like a month later and I stuck on and started sketching and noticed that I really suck and should hold up on the painting for a bit.

4. xDesTx

xDesTx Senior Member

I would prefer to see someone hit a wall as a toy, then see them just become a legend out of no where,

i would like to see them progress through the ranks (Well thats how i think)

most of us are here to express ourselves, and just destroy shit, how are you meant to show the world? you go destroy shit

didn't make much sense but. thats how i am.

Don't Hate Appreciate

5. CROSS EM OUT AND PUT A K

CROSS EM OUT AND PUT A K Senior Member

if u paint regularly ur can control will get better as ur style gets better

which is better then being king of paper but ur shit looks fuct on the wall

6. Bazer

Bazer Moderator

lol before i even started sketching or writing a name i use to write "Sk8 for lyfe" or "dirty ghetto kids/dgk"

7. JETPACK!!

JETPACK!! Banned

i started out by grabbin some cans and painting away, then once i got heavier into it i painted a lot less and sketched a lot more, ive got a personal spot where i paint to get my control up.

i think its cool if toys hit the streets before they even sketch, but if you start dissin every cat you see with your wack ass tags, that shit pisses me the fuck off. i wont front, i did that before. but i learned more, changed my name and best believe im gonna front like i never wrote that name.

if they keep it to blank walls an dont diss anyone, who am i to hold em back

8. Case-One

Case-One Senior Member

do what you want son, it's your shit

9. Reason To-Shine

Reason To-Shine Senior Member

here's the thing- and most people will deny it but its mostly true- graffiti writers are very narrow minded. so if a toy starts on a wall and it comes out like shit... most heads that see it are going to think that kid is a toy no matter what. so whats wrong with thinking of a halfway descent throw on paper before you put it on a wall... you need a desiegn first... and it should be on paper... not on a wall... that kind of jumped around but I think you'll understand... right?

10. letsg0skate

letsg0skate Senior Member

I accidentally clicked wait a little but I meant do what you want. It all depends on your motives as a writer. If you are writing for respect, or fame then you should wait until your a little better. If you are doing it for yourself because you just like to do it then do what you want, because graffiti is about whoevers doing it so yeah choose for yourself what you think is right.

11. EMAK

EMAK Senior Member

Start Bombin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Backalley Abortion Doctor

Backalley Abortion Doctor Elite Member

Start painting immediately. Having style is one things, being able to use a spray can (A ridiculously difficult medium) is a whole nother branch. Get good at BOTH of them at the same time. It doesn't matter how good your style is, you're still gonna be shit on walls if you've never painted. So it's gonna look like shit either way.

13. thatkidyouknew

thatkidyouknew Elite Member

pft fuck that i dont need toys in my area wreking shit up making the scene hot!
    it happens to uch then half the kids dont even continue writting then its just a mess of what they left behind.

14. sketch3

sketch3 Banned

practice ur ish befor u get up,
    that dosnt mean dont paintat ll it means keep it chill spots an back gardens

15. BLTZ

BLTZ Senior Member

I think its best to start painting while you are toy, so both progress simultanisly(sp).
    I need to go rack some cans and start hittin up downtown since Im about to get an apt in the heart of DT louisville

16. EgoZen

EgoZen Elite Member

Well I would say wait a little, specially if you don`t want to change your tag/name later...
    CAuse if you get better later and the old things won`t be fucked it gives
    you a bad reputation...
    So wait a little and practice, practice, practice!

17. ViaHipHop

ViaHipHop Senior Member

im kind of in the middle because you can progress alot in your sketches but not get any skill with painting then go and paint something you drew up allready and it doesnt come out as good you know what i mean?

18. RetroLikeWhoa13

RetroLikeWhoa13 Elite Member

i think it's good to get up as a toy as long as you respect the boundaries of other writers and crews...dont start beef with people if you are a toy, you will get annihilated.

19. unreal180

unreal180 Elite Member

u need 2 make friends with your black book at one point or you just gonner go out and make a shitty mess, at least get a few throwups ready

20. oblong

oblong Elite Member

personally i dont even think toys should be bombing

toys should

-buy 3 black books and fill them with throws before they even touch paint
    because to me, whats worse than going downtown and seeing a key spot
    scooped up by some missfilled, drippy, wack artwork.

i have also seen toys get stomped out for lining work
    because they think they are cool and line everything

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008