Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Chemistry 101:Beginner Ink Labs and Pics

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by HëRbN, Jul 2, 2008.

Share This Page

1. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

Ok, So i know theres an Ink Discussion thread in the big boys section But i figured the little tikes could use a place to learn where to start. That way we can keep the N00b questions here and keep the discussion one for recipes and actualy discussion.

Also I thought it would be cool to get some pics of what people got goin on as far as their "lab" goes. So ill start it out.

Beginner things you kids will need to get into ink making.
    -Alcohol (99% is best)
    -Pens or other means of inks
    -gloves
    -small glass jars or other air tight containers
    -A ventilated room or station where you dont have to worry about staining anything.
    -general purpose mixing container
    -a test surface, a couple peices of paper will sufice for now
    -Empty markers and mops
    -Funnel(s) to fill markers and mops

Optional Stuff- Soy sauce, wood stainer, any sort of dyes (leather ect.), paint thinner so on and so forth.

Most importantly, remember even if you dont start out using them, sooner or later you will be handling volatile and some possible cancer causing chemicals that should not be inhaled or contacted for long periods of times. Such as Naptha or ether ect so Be smart!

Finally heres some pics and the contents of the little station i work off of.
    Something like this is an excellent starting point.

[Broken External Image]:http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5088/inklab1ud3.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/659/inklab2wl8.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3582/inklab3dm6.jpg

Above you will also notice i have, calligraphy inks as a color inhancer and a mortor and pestle for grinding pigments into a fine powder. Be creative and experiment, thats what its all about.

***Bleach should never be used in ink making***

2. Bazer

Bazer Moderator

its a good thread idea. if you get more than a page full of haters ima have to delete it though.

3. klic

klic Elite Member

someone should sticky this

4. geritto

geritto Senior Member

what are the matches for? and what happens if i only used 50% alchahol can i add anything to make it so if i had used 99% or sumthin?

5. Mr yarbles

Mr yarbles Elite Member

Well if it's fifty percent alcohol then the other fifty percent is usually waterd down
    So if you want an ink tat's fifty percen water go for it
    I think you can add sme dot 3 to make it stain harder

6. smooth_nuts

smooth_nuts Elite Member

dot3 makes your INK(ink not paint) dry slower so it has time to set in and stain the surface
    theres no way that i know of to get the water out of the lower % alcohols.....but i have heard things about putting it in the freezer(as most of you know alcohol freezes at a much much much lower temp then water)then removing the ice,but its easier just to buy the 75% or 95% bottles...

7. Mass Appeal

Mass Appeal Banned

AHERS HOW TO :

HOW TO MAKE A KIWI MOP

1. GET A KIWI SHOE POLISH FROM YOUR LOCAL SHOP....IN ENGLAND THEY SELL THEM IN WILKOS....

2. PULL OFF THE TOP SPONGE AND GET RID OF ALL THE SHOE POLISH THATS INSIDE

3. ( HOW I DID IT ) .. GET A BUCKET AND POUR IN HALF A BUCKET OF PAINT , THEN ADD HALF A BUCKET OF BRAKE FLUID , OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF PAINT THINNER AND MIX IT

4. ONCE ITS MIXED AND SHIT POUR IT INTO THE MOP

5. SCREW BACK ON THE SPONGE

6. TO GET MORE DRIPS TAKE OUT THE LITTLE RED PLUG THATS INSIDE THE SPONGE ( BEWARE , LEAKS LIKE FUCK )

Enjoy...

-------

AHERS HOW TO :

NOW THIS IS A LITTLE THING I CAME UP WITH..I HAVENT REALLY GOT A NAME FOR IT THOUGH..ANYWAY

1. FIRST...GET ABOUT 3,4,5 PERMANENT MARKERS..ANY SIZE BUT MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE !...BUT BIGGER THE BETTER MUHAHAHAHA

2. THEN...TAKE OFF THE TOP AND FIND A WAY TO GET OUT THE INK TUBE THATS INSIDE IT..MOST OF THE TIME THEY HAVE A PLASTIC LIKE TUBING AROUND IT SO DONT WORRY ABOUT GETTING YOUR HANDS DIRTY..

3. DO THAT FOR ALL OF THE MARKERS YOU HAVE...

4. THEN GET THEM ALL TOGETHER IN A BUNCH...MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE ALL EQUAL IN LENGTH..LIKE NONE ARE HIGHER / LOWER THAN EACH OTHER IN THE BUNCH THEN PROCEED TO SALOTAPE / DUCK TAPE THEM ALL TOGETHER..

5. THIS IS THE FINISHED PRODUCT...SORRY FOR SHITTY WEB CAM PICS...

View attachment 384710

View attachment 384711

THIS IS MY PROTOTYPE DONE WITH SMALLER FEL TIP INK TUBES...SO IT ISNT AS BIG AS MY OTHER..

View attachment 384712

YOU GET THE IDEA...

ALSO..MAKE SURE YOU FIND SOME SORT OF CAP FOR IT COS THEY DRY OUT QUICK LIKE THAT ONE ^^^^

Enjoy..

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  8. smooth_nuts

smooth_nuts Elite Member

heres a little ditty for you guys ;)
    these are the krink k71 markers
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.graffiti-shop.nl/shop/images/k71_group01.jpg
    these are might markers(theyre are paint and bleed through versions)
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.arromark.com/images/pens/mightymarker_paint.jpg
    look quite similar,no?
    that because theyre the same thing with the older krink markers you could acctualy take the kr lable off the marker and under it would be the mighty marker lable....
    heres where you buy your mighty markers:
    http://www.arromark.com/products/pens/mightymarker_paint.html
    for the price of two kr markers(i believe it was two)you could get a box of 6 mighty markers....

i have all night and no plans so expect more posts ;)

9. (SoS)Viruz

(SoS)Viruz Elite Member

Nice Thread Herbn. I use the Soy sauce stuff too.

Im going to have some pic on how it writes in a few.

BUt here what I use for my ink.
    -99% Achoal
    -3 dot breadkin FLuid,
    -3/4 a small package of cool aid
    -40 pen
    -4 Blue Sharpies
    -Black Matalic Ink.

10. geritto

geritto Senior Member

krink is cool but i aint tryna spend like $8 for a sharpie sized marker where the ink runs out quick and even more expensive to buy more of their ink. o and thanks for the freezer idea but seems like too much work

11. acereborn

acereborn Elite Member

Thanks for contributing to the thread, I'm sure you spent a lot of time making that tutorial- but you don't mix paint with brake fluid, it's for inks. It slows down the drying time of ink, thus allowing the ink to stain. Paint CANNOT stain a surface.

You should probably edit your post, we need to make sure we have the information right AT LEAST on the first page.

P.S. Good thread idea :)

12. smooth_nuts

smooth_nuts Elite Member

some random shits:
    GHETTO JUNOBO
    1/3WHITE RUSTO
    2/3THINNER
    +
    200ML OIL BASED "TUBE" PAINT TO EVERY PINT OF RUSTO
    AND A CAP FULL OF JAPAN DRYER

ghetto junobo number two
    white ghetto krink
    (1/3 thinner,2/3 white rusto)
    +
    thinned acrylic paint,you choose the color
    (1/3 water,2/3 acrylic paint)
    +
    an assload of mustard powder
    (the linchin in the mustar powder lets the oil and waer base paint mix together to get the color of the acrylic paint and the toughness of oil based paint....)

Mythelyne Blue: nice blue stain
    Gentian Violet: purple stain
    Potassium Permanganate: been told its a black/purple stain. not sure which
    Griffen Shoe Dye:stains the color of the dye
    Fiedblings Leather Dye: " " " "
    Dot3 Break Fluid: adds ghost, more stainage
    Woodstain: various colors. best brand is "minwax"
    Fish oil Tablets: adds ghosts. more stain
    PVC Primer: Purple Stainer. ghetto version on Gentian V.
    Shellac: finished product. adds shine. makes waterproof
    Iodine: adds yellow/brown stain
    Methyl Orange (found in chemistry sets): Orange stain, can be made green

ghetto krink(the most basic of all basic shit :p)
    1/3paint thinner
    2/3silver oil based paint

http://www.countryclubsupply.com/servlet/Detail?no=8601 = cheap large ammounts of leather dye

www.texasmarker.com =that "candy" ink every ones so crazy about,bleeds through great stains hard has nice colors but fades in the sun....best for insides ;)

mops,markers and where to get them:
    kiwi mops=any store basicly
    teejuice squeezers(oink mops)=michael's arts and crafts
    fun dotter poster markers=ac moore in the poster isle
    bingo daubers=cvs,wallmart,dollar store,ect.
    houston art window chalkers(larger grog mops)=craft isle at wallmart,next to the window etch at micheal's
    http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...ctsCatalog&x=18&sd=12+Brilliant+Bingo+Bottles = 12 mini mops for 5 dollars
    http://www.houstonart.com/paint applicator.asp = grog mop(the larger ones of course ;) )
    http://markingpendepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16 = cheap paint markers....
    zig glue pens,poster mans,terra cotta's,wood craft,ect.(otr markers)=arts and craft stores

13. smooth_nuts

smooth_nuts Elite Member

the point was krink buys his markers from another company and raises the price high as shit....but yeah you could always just get some broad sharpie or uni brand paint markers haha

14. Mass Appeal

Mass Appeal Banned

Nah..as you can see it says HOW I DID IT .. you can use Brake fluid...because iv used it with that before are it worked FINE...seriously.

15. (SoS)Viruz

(SoS)Viruz Elite Member

(Im going to love this Thread! XD)

I just found some wired ass stuff. Like Opps all propes remove, but it contains Ethyl Alcohol, and some other stuff Like Xylene. (NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFOR) Like what are some other Stainers that I could use?

16. smooth_nuts

smooth_nuts Elite Member

dot3 in paint just makes it leaves an ugly grease mark and take longer to dry....its not really worth the effect ya know...
    edit*virus i posted a list of stains and add ins

17. acereborn

acereborn Elite Member

Dot 3? Whenever I used dot3 with paint it just became shitty and greasy, and it wouldn't dry for an INSANE time. I'm assuming putting 50% would make it almost impossible to dry, lol. But that's just an assumption, so I guess it's worth trying.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  18. smooth_nuts

smooth_nuts Elite Member

bleh...your only supposed to add like a cap full of dot 3 to your INK not paint,INK!!!!

19. noxi

noxi Elite Member

IF you add vinegar it makes inks stain harder. If you add soy sauce, it makes it a lil more opaque and darker. Smells like shit though.

20. (SoS)Viruz

(SoS)Viruz Elite Member

How much Vinger tho??? Like a couple of Caps what?