Home     Graffiti Shop     Forum
Earn / Redeem Credits

Thread: Blackbooks

For now you can just stick with consistent letters, maybe in a bit you can start to throw in some 3d or shadow, but take it slow, don't try too much too soon.

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

alright thanks for the crits

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Quote Originally Posted by EXI View Post
    Are you trolling? Because I'm starting to think this is a joke.

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

hmm? how is this a joke? by doing letter structures, or because its so bad...
    and you tell me to "try and pull, create style." well look how not ready i fucking am for that..
    Last edited by EXI; 11-10-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Yo lay off Exi he's trying to get better, I don't see you posting anything up here Minx so at least he is attempting. Exi you don't need to post everything you do. try to minimize it to a few pics a day, especially since you're still on simps, no offense just people get annoyed looking at simps over and over.

hmm? how is this a joke? by doing letter structures, or because its so bad...
    and you tell me to "try and pull, create style." well look how not ready i fucking am for that..
    You keep doing the same bars over and over where nothing really changes other than the slight variations in the way that you draw it. I don't really know what you're practicing, pencil control maybe? Because you really should be aiming to move beyond this. Not hating on you, just trying to push you to the level which you should be getting at because currently you're sitting at a stand still.

Like I said a few pages back, if you're struggling for ideas, you need to be looking at other people's work and studying the way they've used their bars. If need be, copy a letter or two, break it down into bars and try and modify it into your own. Eventually you'll become aware of what looks right and what looks wrong and will be able to come up with your own bars without influence from others. It's like playing a game; if you don't understand it, you can't play, therefore you need to spend time learning from others untill you do.

I gave you some good examples of simple bars here; all of these are relatively simple and are good examples of what you should be aiming for (note just the bars, not the actual pieces them selves). Copy some of the letters, just for an exercise. Look at the angles, the curves, the way the bars are cut; ask your self what looks right and what looks wrong, then ask your self why. Then try and apply some of the things you learned into your own letters...

I'm trying to help you by giving you the things that helped me, seriously...

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Minx: it's just confusing when I have people tellign me stay simple and people telling me to go and try shit than i do and look what happens. it gets trash..
    heres a simp I'm starting for my gf's bday. I have a week to get this ready to be on a canvas. I'm going to be stylizing it so its just a rough sketch. Bars wise/porportion what you think

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

all caps is always tough to pull off if ur overlapping, either space them out a bit more or try lowercase (SIMPLE lowercase...) .... but what u should try is actually coloring in ur sketches with markers, and learning how to cut back and make something decent looking out of a rough sketch, like, u can make ur outlines thicker to clean up the lines and make them more solid, or u can use a final outline (forcefield whatever) and itll make ur letters pop off more and can be used to cut back and clean up ur 3d and lines.... just sketching simple letters wont do much as far as this whole graffiti thing goes, color some shit! 'swhy graffiti exists, to add color to a dull ass industrialized world

Minx: it's just confusing when I have people tellign me stay simple and people telling me to go and try shit than i do and look what happens. it gets trash..
    heres a simp I'm starting for my gf's bday. I have a week to get this ready to be on a canvas. I'm going to be stylizing it so its just a rough sketch. Bars wise/porportion what you think
    This isn't going to happen over night, it takes practice, lots of practice. But what you need to realise is that for every good outline you draw when starting out, there's going to be twenty crap outlines in the bin. You need to experiment, try shit and learn from your mistakes. This is why looking at other people's graffiti can help you acomplish this faster, as you can learn from their mistakes as well as your own. I'm not telling you to copy everyone, because that's the wrong thing to do, but you should deffinately take ideas from people and try them to see if it fits you.

As for that image, how about this time, you tell us what you think is wrong?

Merica' where we got the Guns and the Glory. Football and Fireworks we got it all
    Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

minx, until exi has basic structure he should not vary his letters.
    if he cant pull off the simplest straight how does it make sense to add more and try other things?
    i agree with zook, pieces need some care and color in them, erase the lines inside the e for example add a bit of color, dontrt making them look like pieces bother with 3d yet or if you do restrict it to straight down or straight to a side until you get the concept down.
    start making them look like pieces.
    some of the coolest pieces out there are evolved from straight simples with the addition of color,background,3d and effects they can look like the most awesome burners out there and the best bit is they can still be read.

Mogan..quality as usual , only thing i dont get on it is the right side of the k, to me it looks like it should be turned the other way but tis cool none the less

yeah that got me as well, I thought it might have even been an R, dope though, always like your pieces.

mogan the k looks like an r but it came out clean good shit

aspek that came out dope the character is really good 2

exi keep doing simples like what is first on the page add some shadow and fix that r

Last edited by FlippingChickens; 11-11-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

Mogan.. your letter structure isn't very consistent, your extensions are wack and make no sense, there's too much negative space, and the flow is strange. Props on cleanliness, and the drop shadow on the end of each letter. I can say that about nearly every piece you've done, though.

Everything else on this page sucks.

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

props mone, loving your shit man... keep gettin up

what do y'all think?

Credits
    Earn / Redeem Credits

One of my friends name
    done in paint
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BoomSlang View Post
    minx, until exi has basic structure he should not vary his letters.
    if he cant pull off the simplest straight how does it make sense to add more and try other things?
    You need to learn to walk before you learn to run, in my opinion you should be working on dubs long before you think about adding more colors or a fancy fill in for a piece. If you get the letters right, graffiti can look good in only two colors, but get the letters wrong, it doesn't matter how many colors you add to it, your piece can still look like shit... There's really not much more he can do to his letters other than make the lines a bit straighter (something he'll learn in time), which is why he should keep trying to change the bars untill he actually gets the hang of it... I'm not going to say anything else really as he can choose how he wants to progress, but that's my two cents on it...

ahh i forgot wat this thread was like
    the blind leading the blind thru a minefeild

cuz none of the real experienced people wanna help toys, and then they get mad that everyone is a toy.