Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Graffiti Elitism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Newtype, Feb 15, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Newtype

Newtype New Member

It seems to be something I encounter more and more as the time goes by. Graffiti has gone from being a modest form of expression and a punch in the face to the system to being basically a pissing contest between crews. It's sad in a way, but mostly it's just annoying to me.

For example, just the other day I was having a conversation with a long time friend of mine who recently (1-2 months ago) joined a crew. I didn't really have a problem with this seeing as it's really none of my business, but just how much being in a crew changes someone's view on graffiti was put into sharp perspective when I mentioned the fact that I was really getting into stenciling lately. The next thing I knew he was telling me how his crew doesn't consider stenciling graffiti, and I pretty much just wanted to knock him on his ass. I mean seriously? I'm a tagger. I do graffiti. Do you really think I give a shit if your crew considers what I do to be graffiti or not? I know it is.

Anyways, what is all of your opinions about elitism and how it's affecting the graffiti "culture"?

2. Sanz.Esnesnon

Sanz.Esnesnon Member

This is something that I have noticed as well, but I really wouldn't consider "graffiti elitism" as you put it, a recent development. We're graffiti writers, it's in our very nature level to be cocky and egotistic. We wander around at night writing our names on buses, bins, and city blocks, all in the name of art. That's the equivalent of Serena Williams shouting her name after every volley.

and in my opinion this narcissism is slightly important. It stops most of us (stress most of us) from putting up work that we think isn't up to par. It gives us the drive to go out night after night, without pay or appreciation, to put up work that we think people need to see.

I do agree that it's sad that all there is, is beef and strife between crews.
    Imagine what we could accomplish if we could all collaborate...

3. SALVO

SALVO Elite Member

Its high school cliques dude.
    Most of your graffiti heros are bunch of whiney little coke heads.

4. Slushi

Slushi Banned

Graffiti is lame.

5. Hobs.416

Hobs.416 Member

like salvo said, graffiti is now just another rich boy fad, who all get together, get 200 dollars from their parents, buy a bunch of markers and paint, and suck dick together, and call it a "crew" to sound like hard ass mother fuckers.

In general, i love crews, or groups of writers, because you can get more done in a night, and it's a lot more fun.

But I mean, if your getting up every day, and your tags are all around the city, why shouldn't you be cocky?

"It's not bragging if its true"-Mohammad Ali

6. .HATESONE.

.HATESONE. Banned

every writer i have ever met has been a huge douche bag.every single one.and bs makes it 10 times worse.

7. Syke1FTP

Syke1FTP Senior Member

alright theres a good difference between a graff crew and graff "gang" a crew should a group of writers that are friends that share the same view on graff and want to get together and bomb together....kinda help each other out and make sure that their styles progress...then theres the "gang" which is a group of TOYS once again TOYS that think theyre hard shit go around putting shitty tags everywhere looking for beef going over anyone and everything.....the only reason THEY stay together is so that when they go over someone and that guy finds out and comes to straighten things out they can hide behind their "gang" or crew

see what i mean....and in a way they are elitists cause they think that what they do is better then everyone else but it really isnt...graff elitists dont progress the art at all....they just take that shit backwards

8. Syke1FTP

Syke1FTP Senior Member

im not a douchee =]

9. Black Flag

Black Flag Elite Member

What are you are seeing has nothing to do with graff, but rather human nature. Whatever hobby or sport you are in to, there will always be people like this.

10. Proper

Proper Elite Member

Quoted for the fucking truth.

11. 00-made-00

00-made-00 Elite Member

I think most writers dont see stencils as graffiti because writers views of graffiti are different to everybody elses, i see graffiti as letters,e.g tags, throws, pieces. but the public sees graffiti as anything written or drawn somewhere it shouldnt be which is technically right,but graffiti isnt for the public its for other writers.

12. FuckTheFame

FuckTheFame Elite Member

yo crews suck
    like if your in a crew
    and its beefin with another crew
    even if you dont care about the beef
    you like still feel a certain obligation to be down fer whatev
    im so tired of angry people
    just write on stuff
    thats what graffs all about ya know
    not "is this considered graffiti" or "i wonder if this is up to par with other writers"
    just do it fer you man
    and if that doesnt work...just start huffin paint

13. weak0ner

weak0ner Moderator

14. iThrow

iThrow Senior Member

man just do your thing, who gives a shit about other crews crossing eachother and shit
    as long as your putting in work it shouldnt matter since you do graff for you, not your friends

15. BIGel

BIGel Elite Member

99% of graffiti writers are huge fucking ego maniac elitists pricks. i love graffiti, i hate graffiti writers.

16. wafflecakee

wafflecakee Elite Member

i've met only but nice people through graffiti, i don't doubt that alot of writers are dicks, i guess i've just been lucky.

a//e

17. STR-WHO

STR-WHO Guest

you don't like BS? Get the fuck out

18. SeapNSR

SeapNSR Senior Member

in my city cunts paint like chrome throw ups once a week for a month and then they get a fucken massive ego and try start fights with cunts then they fall off the map cuz they get done once
    but being in a crew is good cuz you get mob mentality and do more hard out shit and have more motivation to paint every night
    graffiti or not everyones an asshole deal with it

19. milfhunter

milfhunter Elite Member

graffiti writers are soem of the most arrogant concieted cocky motherfurckers ull ever meet so get used to it

and yea a lot of kids recently have been catching the bug due to ecko's vid game,and the manipulation of graffiti into mainstream so a rich little 14 year old kid sees this on the tv,clothign and is like trhats awesome ill try it get his buddys together and go out and tag everythig and anythign without the consent of the real *****s around and knowing the certain unwritten rules laid out in the game.

so as in teh words on mack tats cru
    beat them *****s down take their paint and show em who runs shit

20. theworks

theworks Member

stenciling, seriously?