Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

US Lab Debuts 'Super Laser'...Discuss

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kayone707, Jun 1, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Kayone707

Kayone707 Moderator

[Broken External Image]:http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9819/captphoto12436716255591.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) – A US weapons lab on Friday pulled back the curtain on a super laser with the power to burn as hot as a star.

The National Ignition Facility's main purpose is to serve as a tool for gauging the reliability and safety of the US nuclear weapons arsenal but scientists say it could deliver breakthroughs in safe fusion power.

"We have invented the world's largest laser system," actor-turned-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said during a dedication ceremony attended by thousands including state and national officials.

"We can create the stars right here on earth. And I can see already my friends in Hollywood being very upset that their stuff that they show on the big screen is obsolete. We have the real stuff right here."

NIF is touted as the world's highest-energy laser system. It is located inside the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory about an hour's drive from San Francisco.

Equipment connected to a house-sized sphere can focus 192 laser beams on a small point, generating temperatures and pressures that exist at cores of stars or giant planets.

NIF will be able to create conditions and conduct experiments never before possible on Earth, according to the laboratory.

A fusion reaction triggered by the super laser hitting hydrogen atoms will produce more energy than was required to prompt "ignition," according to NIF director Edward Moses.

"This is the long-sought goal of 'energy gain' that has been the goal of fusion researchers for more than half a century," Moses said.

"NIF's success will be a scientific breakthrough of historic significance; the first demonstration of fusion ignition in a laboratory setting, duplicating on Earth the processes that power the stars."

Construction of the NIF began in 1997, funded by the US Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA).

"NIF, a cornerstone of the National Nuclear Security Administration's effort to maintain our nuclear deterrent without nuclear testing, will play a vital role in reshaping national security in the 21st century," said NNSA administrator Tom D'Agostino.

"This one-of-a-kind facility is the only place in the world that is capable of providing some of the most critical technical means to safely maintain the viability of the nation's nuclear stockpile."

Scientists say that NIF also promises groundbreaking discoveries in planetary science and astrophysics by recreating conditions that exist in supernovas, black holes, and in the cores of giant planets.

Electricity derived from fusion reactions similar to what takes place in the sun could help sate humanity's growing appetite for green energy, according to lab officials.

"Very shortly we will engage in what many believe to be this nation's greatest challenge thus far, one that confronts not only the nation but all of mankind -- energy independence," said lab director George Miller.

The lab was founded in 1952 and describes itself as a research institution for science and technology applied to national security.

"This laser system is an incredible success not just for California, but for our country and our world," Schwarzenegger said.

"NIF has the potential to revolutionize our energy system, teaching us a new way to harness the energy of the sun to power our cars and homes."

2. mtown

mtown Banned

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

3. SKriBL*666

SKriBL*666 Elite Member

Ahhh yes, a LASER beeaaammm.

awww.solarnavigator.net_films_movies_actors_film_images_Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

4. mtown

mtown Banned

mini me is dope

5. ESKiMO2

ESKiMO2 Elite Member

I'd blast down random planes... but that's just me...

6. Kayone707

Kayone707 Moderator

honestly, you are useless to this forum. 100% of your posts are just junk taking up bandwith.
    see you in 2 days.
    Bizzaned.

7. skull-e

skull-e Elite Member

beat me to it

haha

8. GraffitiZoo

GraffitiZoo Banned

thats crazy. The real question is what will they do with it? Could be very powerful tool or weapon.

9. B.S. POLICE

B.S. POLICE Banned

lol really?

10. Devils_Advocate

Devils_Advocate Banned

i used to have one of those laser pointers back in the day but my mom took it away from me becuase i kept shining it in my eye and now i have to wear an eyepatch on my left eye:(

ive been going as a pirate for halloween for the last 3 years...just once i want to go as a ninja or something.damn.

11. Devils_Advocate

Devils_Advocate Banned

my mom says its more economical that way.seeing as we save alot on costumes and stuff.

12. Backalley Abortion Doctor

Backalley Abortion Doctor Elite Member

Uh...regardless...
    North Korea's sudden interest in going into nuclear war clearly brought about this unveiling. It seems like the US is saying "You have WMDs? We have a fucking planet killer."
    Nevertheless "Safe fusuion power" my ass. Every time the US invents something like this, it's always used as a weapon "as a last resort" (The initial intention)
    Whatever, seems like we're heading towards a mixture of Fallout and Startrek.

13. B.S. POLICE

B.S. POLICE Banned

north korea is fucking shit up the UN should just get together and collectively agree that they need to be nuked, cause clearly they dont give a fuck

14. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

Damn, yeah dude thats like some gears of war shit. and the heat and pressure of a planet or star? thats crazy. definately a weapon. but we all know shits going down hill so better have a big ass lazer

15. let's shoot at the french with the laser

bspolice:you sitll love me don't ya??

16. CrustOner

CrustOner Elite Member

Exactly. Watch it be attached to a satellite. and I laughed when I read that Arnold was in on this. We're going to attach these lasers to super soldiers named Terminators, yadda yadda, etc..

and mtown, you're unbanned in 2 fucking days. do you really need to make a new account?

17. wafflecakee

wafflecakee Elite Member

its a shame that the redistribution of wealth is such a foreign concept even in times like these.

18. Proper

Proper Elite Member

Suspend this guy, Kay.

Before I permaban him.

19. Kayone707

Kayone707 Moderator

20. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

i think you guys are missing the point.
    yeah sure one of the 192 may be very powerful and could have weapons applications, but that's not what they're getting at.
    as the article states, they have arranged 192 lasers so they're beams all converge on a single point. The beams generate enough heat and pressure to trigger nuclear fusion, a process which generates enormous amounts of energy. Nuclear fusion is the opposite of nuclear fission, or what standard nuclear power plants harness.
    The energy generated by nuclear fusion would far far exceed the energy needed to TRIGGER the process, and it would continue to generate vast amounts of energy after the process is started.
    Nuclear Fusion is the answer to all energy problems. In the future everything will be run by the electricity generated by harnessing the energy of nuclear fusion.