Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

How Does Graffiti Affect Your Life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ESKiMO2, Jun 1, 2009.

Share This Page

1. ESKiMO2

ESKiMO2 Elite Member

Basically, where do you think you would be without graffiti.
    How does it impact you now?

Graffiti opened my eyes to a lot of things.
    How to find beauty in things that are 'ugly'.
    It made me care less about what other people thought of me.
    It made me more adventurous.
    I made friends and enemies through graffiti.
    It gave me something to live for other than material.

Without it, I would probably be deep in either music or drugs. (or both)

Be as specific or as general as you want. This way we can formulate what graffiti means to each of us.

2. Proper

Proper Elite Member

For instances...? I'm not trying to beef ya'.

3. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Senior Member

It made me think pretty highly of guys that I woulda thought of as failures before, it showed me some really awesome spots, and opened my eyes to alot of aspects of "art" and hip hop culture, to name but a few things

4. Scratch

Scratch Senior Member

It taught me a lot of what I know about respect, how to interact with people, rules that are important to follow in life and ones that can be broken, morals, and a lot about other people.
    It provided me a way to relate to people id normally never talk to, and helped me meet some of the nicest people in the world (and some of the biggest dickheads too).
    It helped me get a better grasp on art, and a better understanding on what the average person finds aesthetically pleasing, which will definitely help me later on in life if I continue pursuing a career in art and design.

However..
    It fucked up a lot of love in my life, dealing with conflicting opinions of love interests
    It lead to breaking lots of promises, to my parents and to other people,

I definitely wouldn't say graffiti is a positive thing, but it's definitely helped me learn a lot about people, and myself.

5. Mr yarbles

Mr yarbles Elite Member

Pushed alot of people aside
    feel like no one really understands what it is that I do unless they also do it
    Don't really have remorse for alot of things anymore either

6. COBALT

COBALT Elite Member

Made me realize people i can trust
    Gave me something to do at night
    Made me look at a shit load of different art

7. {Kandi~Boy~Raver}

{Kandi~Boy~Raver} Member

i have to say if anything it made me more happy about my life and gave a direction in life it also gave a determination to follow thru with my goals showed that there ways more to life then parties gave me clearer outlook on wat i wanna do in the but along with those positives there have been alot of negatives like familiy issue girl issues school issues but even with all those negatives i wouldnt give up graff because of all the stuff i learned and have grown thru because of it...is really like a double edged sword in a way

8. BIGel

BIGel Elite Member

if you don't think graffiti is a positive thing, then you shouldn't be here.

9. provinT13

provinT13 Senior Member

It made me very adventurous, I dropped most of my fears and it totally kills my anxiety because I'm always pushing forward and not letting it take over. It has changed the way I see the city, I've met new people and become a more creative and patient person, and it shows me how to take a step back, slow down and observe. Oh and respect for others.

10. Mr yarbles

Mr yarbles Elite Member

Word graffiti fucked my life hard
    It's why i started shoplifiting
    Most of why I started smoking weed and doing other shit
    Now almost anywhere I am I gotta catch a tag

and shit may seem great but that first time you get arrested graffiti turns into the real addiction
    You don't even want to do it but you do
    You wana be good you wana be know
    It's always at the back of m head as something I GOTTA do.

But I'm no longer afraid of heights haha so I guess that's good.
    But seriously when you realize you're willing to hang off an overpass just to write your name, there's a problem.

11. Kayone707

Kayone707 Moderator

I'll say this. when working a full time job, and going to school. i sure look forward to painting on my days off.

as for how it affected my life, i met some people who are guaranteed to be life long friends. my painting partner for 6 years. my homie from canada that visits me and my family once, sometimes twice a year.

"graffiti" lets you view the "surroundings" in a whoooole different way.

and yea, tons more im just too lazy to type

12. ESKiMO2

ESKiMO2 Elite Member

Things that society usually finds unacceptable or bad. It's not purely aesthetic, just appreciation for everything beyond societal acceptance.

13. JayAyDubZed

JayAyDubZed Senior Member

I look foward to car ride cause I get ta see all the latest graff.
    I guess it makes my life much better in the way where I am happy to simply just roll around the city.

14. Loki X Sho

Loki X Sho Banned

haha, first time I ever shop lifted was solely influenced by graffiti but I dont even care. I have no job, I dropped out of college, its hard to get a job, I have an undecided future. I wake up, paint, get lunch, roll another wall, go home, eat again...roll another wall...tag some stupid shit on the way back home...wake up, and repeat the process. Lost my boyfriend of 5 years..but dude if he cant deal with what I do and what makes me happy, then fuck it. I dont need a boyfriend. Graff brought me closer to a strange and random selection of people...the most diverse kids whos paths would never cross in the real world, but art gave us all something to agree on and that was good enough. I tell mom it could be much worse...Im addicted to art, pot, and music haha. No harm in that.

15. JadedSketches

JadedSketches Elite Member

graffiti has affected my life to the point where it is my life....i don't view it as an addiction, a drug or a hobby...to me it's a lifestyle.. i live my life and graffiti fits into my daily routine.

it has put a strain on my family relations though..but fuck it, either they accept it or not, this is me, if i wasn't doing this i'd be doing something else, probably wasting my time doing more drugs than i currently do.

16. PeeInTheShower

PeeInTheShower Elite Member

some might view it as a problem, while others might see it as dedication, realizing that you have heart for this shit. there's people out there that live for graffiti, and they'll die for graffiti. there was a guy around my way (not going to say names it'll just start beef) but he was a nobody until he fell off a highway sign. now he's got people throwing up huge straight letters and rollers for this guy on the highway, because he died for what he loved.

graffiti has made me realize, that i could cope with a lawn chair and generic ramen noodles with a portable tv. graffiti has made me waste so much gas it's not even funny. i've hurt my family, only because they don't know my perspective of it, but then again they're not meant to. graffiti has made me realize that i have an adventerous side, and that there's nothing more beautiful than walking in a neighborhood that's not yours, with 2 mop pens and a can of paint with a couple caps in your pocket, knowing what you gotta do if someone approaches, or knowing what to do if you get pulled over. it's simple. graffiti is a lifestyle, and everyone who's into graffiti is similar in some way shape or form. some are straight up faggots who do it because they want to show their friends, and some will go alone to the train yard with work at 6 in the morning the next day. both have love for the letters.

i've also met a few people i got mad love for, and i know what they feel. try hanging out with 4 other friends that don't pay attention to graffiti, then chill with 4 writers. you'll feel such a difference in vibes.

17. peacebomb

peacebomb Senior Member

Bad things.
    I shop lift alot now.
    Good things.
    Opened me to art and taught me how to better express my own individual style.
    Made me see through people better and figure out what kind of person they are.
    Got me in shape.

18. Black Flag

Black Flag Elite Member

To comment on your original post, for me it actually pushed me further in to music and drugs; but it does keep me away from abusing them.

Call me crazy, but doing graffiti has actually given me more respect to people's property.

The only negative things I have stayed away from coming from graffiti is racking and etching.

19. SAID

SAID Moderator

Soooo fucking true.

20. 1 Love

1 Love Senior Member

it made me realize the little stuff..i listen to underground stuff becz only they can relate to me...graff to me is an escape... meet new people. realize the corruption...lets me express my art..care less bout my family and their dreams for me...i dont dream any more i work twords my goal that inevitable fame...fame for the wrong things..love for gravity the thing ppl take for granit...love for the most basic things..love for colors and patterns..an attitude..ima tag what i want when i want even if something is watching..why becz the average person's not gunna stop me or call the cops...its not their property what do they care...ill steal infront of people...not that obvious but obvious enough...why becz their not gunna stop me...i hide i run i dont stop for anyone...more money to spend on my gf becz everythings stolen...i sell the stolen products to toys to pay for the diapers u know..im making a living...graffiti is an life style..u steal use and get more...