Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Train Hoppin'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Molotov Monkey, Sep 2, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Molotov Monkey

Molotov Monkey Member

I just got back from a month of traveling through the east coast. My main mode of transportation was riding freights. I've learned a lot about how to get from place to place on freight trains, and I've gone from Chicago to Boston to New York City to Philly to Cleveland and back. It's really fun, and you see a lot of cool, interesting things along the way.

I was just wondering, have any of you ever ridden freight trains?

2. repo302

repo302 Senior Member

did u ride it like a bum lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. FuLa

FuLa Elite Member

fuck...that sounds like something i would love to do.......u just get in an open one & that's it?

4. skrooeapatape

skrooeapatape Senior Member

i have freinds who freight hop.. know some witers who often commute from montreal to toronto only by that way.. i did it to get from point st charles to st henri near ndg (on slow moving flat bead) lol i never traveld any distance really like that tho..

5. Molotov Monkey

Molotov Monkey Member

There are different types of cars. (You should know this...)

It's a lot more complicated than just finding an open boxcar. Open boxcars are rare.
    If you've never done it before, I would try to find somebody who has, and ride with them your first time. Never assume you know what to do when it comes to freight hoppin'. That's how people get killed.

I'll try to get some pictures and descriptions of each type of car and how to ride it.

6. sorce oner

sorce oner Senior Member

wow that sounds like alot of fun

7. Molotov Monkey

Molotov Monkey Member

Before I go on, a few reminders.

Do not use this as a guide for hopping. It's just informative, I'm not telling you to hop.

NEVER even go near the parts that connect the cars. When the train starts moving, all the cars will jerk a little, and if you're in the wrong spot you can get seriously injured or DIE. Avoid the bulls (Rail Cops). If you get caught, you may be added to the national list of "suspected terrorists" like I was. Making a small mistake can lead to death, always before careful, never be full of yourself. Never go near the engine.

Double Stack:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/DS002.JPG
    Depending on the type of well car, this can be an easy ride or it can be "suicide bars", which basically mean you will be balancing on two crossed bars, six inches above the rail. This is very dangerous. If you have a choice, DO NOT RIDE SUICIDE BARS. I rode these from Cleveland, OH to Willard, OH. We got off right away because of how scary it was.

Basically, at either side of the car there is a small well area that you can jump into. Always check before hand if it is suicide bars or not.

Auto Rack:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/autorack1.jpg
    These are hard to get into, and not worth it. If you get caught in one of these, you get charged with the theft of every vehicle inside it, even if you didn't touch any.

Piggyback or Road Railer:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/rram001b.jpg[Broken External Image]:http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/rram001c.jpg
    Basically the trailer of a semi loaded onto a freight. Pretty easy to get into. NEVER climb in from the ends. The train could jerk and you could be seriously injured. When you're on on of these cars, depending on the way it's loaded, it could be a tight squeeze or you can comfortably hide between the wheels of the trailer. I rode these through Chicago, but got pulled of in the Ashland Yard. I also rode piggyback from Worcester, Mass. to Euclid, OH.

Coal Car:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/COAL001.JPG[Broken External Image]:http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/COAL005.JPG
    Really easy. Climb up the ladder on the side and hop in. Before you hop in, check to make sure you can get out. These are usually filled with coal, which can make you very dirty. I've heard stories of people getting killed by shifting coal. I rode one of these from Toledo, OH to Elkhart, IN. It was raining, so the coal was wet and heavy and it didn't move.

Grainer:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.curtis-engineering.com/images/PPC001.JPG
    At either end of the car, there is a small circular whole which you can probably fit into. It's a tight squeeze, and you should always put your pack closest to the whole when you get in so that you can hide yourself. Canadian grainers sometimes have two holes. Some grainers have pipes blocking the holes so you can't get in.

Gondola:
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.danbury.org/drm/images/96-01-20/gon-a.jpg
    Easy to get into. Climb the ladder in the side and hop in. Often, these are filled with stuff like scrap metal and woodchips. These can shift and injure you, so be careful. The first time I rode a train I rode this. I rode from Chicago to some steel mill in northern Illinois.

Boxcar:
    awww.acclaimimages.com__gallery__SM_0001_0411_2511_1337_SM.jpg
    Finding an open boxcar is rare. When you do, use something to lock the door in place. If it shuts, you can get locked inside and starve to death.

Tanker:
    airfca.org_faq_images_btpn.jpg
    No way to ride this.

I'll get more pictures and descriptions in the future.

8. bruce

bruce Elite Member

id recomend you not drop hints on hoppin on this forum...
    some dumbass is gonna read it and try it and end up killin himself...

and those who dont know dont need to learn how to do it from an internet site..

9. skrooeapatape

skrooeapatape Senior Member

did you take any flix of your trip?? and what happened with the customs? i loath customs to death i dream of killing them they harras (me at least) so micuh and you cant do anything aobut it they can just frisk you more and more

10. Molotov Monkey

Molotov Monkey Member

I put a disclaimer at the top. I'm not telling kids to hop. I posted it just for leisure purposes only. It's just information. And I did warn that you can get killed.

I can't emphasize that enough. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT A PROFESSIONAL. I wouldn't. I never ride alone, either. It's way too dangerous.

11. STRIFE

STRIFE Elite Member

i was thinkin about doin that, but the risk of death is too high for me haha

12. Ravek

Ravek Elite Member

ive sat on trains and enjoyed the ride for like ten minutes then jumped off and broke into a james bond roll in the gravely grass

13. Kronone

Kronone Elite Member

haha ya me too ravek..

14. The Incredible D

The Incredible D Elite Member

i once rode john's mother all the way from oakland, Ca to Pleasure Town.

15. jabon!

jabon! Senior Member

that sounds really tight, what i recommend u guys do (not so dangerous and legal) is come to europe and try the interrail. all u do is buy a ticket for lets say 3 weeks, and get on and off the train whenever u feel like it, u just flash ur pass and europe can be yours, its tight for bombing and getting up all ove europe....plus, theres like special places to stay for these 'travelers' which are either free or really cheap.

16. Lazer

Lazer Elite Member

that's some mighty fine info, props.

17. Ume

Ume Moderator

you can do that in canada to, maybe even the us, but with a greyhound dream pass and then stay in hostels or whatever.

18. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

The farthest i ever rode on a train was across my yard.

19. Rogan

Rogan Senior Member

/\/\ you have a traintrack in your yard? or you mean your local trainyard?

20. epod

epod Elite Member