Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Custom can tips

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Sovran, Feb 17, 2010.

Share This Page

1. Sovran

Sovran Member

Hey, I wanted to make some custom cans just for the fun of it, but when I search Google for ways to paint metal, how to make custom cans, etc. nothing good turned up. I mean it can't be too hard, especially if you just use some paint but I was wondering if anyone's every done it and if they have some tips?

Do I want metal based paint? Do I want spray paint, bucket paint, or something else? How can I add some shine, and make it really eye catching. Should I use a primer to cover up whatever was originally there or not, one site I saw said you shouldn't use primer on aluminum. For that matter anybody know what cans are made of what, I'd assume all are alluminum but maybe not?

Basically, post anything you know that might help. Thanks.

2. zennegen

zennegen Banned

dude. seriously? just fucking paint it. it's not rocket science. it's adding 1+1...

3. Asetotheurn

Asetotheurn Member

Agreed. Just paint shit. and as for custom CAPS (not tips) there is a hundred tutorials on that.

4. ovoid709

ovoid709 Member

Sand the can first, and then apply an oil based metal primer, this is so the paint will have something to grab onto and prevent flaking. Use tape along all the edges to keep the lines sharp and clean. Use any type of paint you find suitable for the design, and when complete, brush or spray on a few coats of high gloss oil based polyurethane. The reason I recommend oil based polyurethane is due to the fact that if you apply a water base, but used oil based paints for the design, the water based poly will have a great possibility of cracking and peeling.
    A good resource for these type of projects is actually those crafting websites your grandma would visit, hidden amongst the quilts and crochet is a surprising amount of useful knowledge. Just try not to gouge your eyes out from looking at Rockwellian imagery for hours on end. It's just like dj-ing, you've gotta dig through piles of shit to find the gems. Granny's mad up on the etch tutorials too.

5. HaLo_07

HaLo_07 Senior Member

He gets to the point and gets details down...when some one ask a question...Ya it ain't rocket science...But a good and informant answer wouod suffice this this dude did.

Thanks for helpin a dude out and for the other dilweed with the smart ass 1+1 answer...Just come out with an answer next time or just don't say nuttin.

6. SAID

SAID Moderator

Or just get sticker sheets, draw on it, stick it.
    finito.

7. Sovran

Sovran Member

Thanks ovoid

And zennegen, I know I can just paint it, but see I don't want it to a) look like shit, and b) flake off in two days, sooooo thanks but no thanks. Go ahead and do your shit completely un informed and have it turn out like crap, but I for one AM going to be a toy and ask people who actually fuckin' know how for some tips before I trial and error myself to oblivion. People who bitch out people who ask for tips online are fucking dumb, I mean not everyone knows a vet that they can learn from, and not everyone has the time, space, and money to try out things for themselves all the time, they'd like to get it right in the first few trys. So go take your arithmetic logic and shove it. Sorry for the freak out but seriously, people are getting on my nerves and you are just someone to take it out on. Every Graff site people do this. I know it's a competition, but really? It's not so much of one that you can't help out a fellow writer, I mean we are all in this together right? We fight amongst ourselves but in the end it's us vs. society.

I'll hop off my soapbox and leave now.

Once again, thanks ozoid.

Peace.

8. ShIfTeD

ShIfTeD Elite Member

im listing detailed steps to get a great looking can

materials: varnish, elmers glue, muriatric acid, sand paper (the coarsest possible), epoxy, bucket paint, clear tape

1. mix varnish and muriatric acid and spread evenly onto the can, this will help the original color/label/paint on the can to loosen, let it dry for about an hour

2. mix elmers glue with bucket paint, the elmers glue helps it cure and it will dry faster..this will be the paint your going to use on the can

3. sand the can down aplying lots of pressure to ensure a smooth surface, once the can is smooth, proceed to step 4

4. tape off your design

5. apply paint, it doesnt matter if it goes on thick..it doesnt matter because the glue will smoothen it out and help it cure better

6. if you want it to dry faster, put it in the oven to help the curing process..low heat is best so the contents of the can dont explode, anything above 300 wont be good so keep it around 250

after its dried, apply your epoxy mixture, this will give you that glass like shine to it ;)

this is how saber and cope2 do their cans, i actually learned it from a blog cope2 made...this is how the REAL writers do it

hope this helps buddy ;)
    ..good luck, post pics when your done

9. ovoid709

ovoid709 Member

Glue mixed with paint is fucking genius. It would definitely allow for more flex too, and that store-bought-can feel.

10. ovoid709

ovoid709 Member

I just mixed up some of that recipe with varying ratios and painted out some card stock to see which one would hold up best. It doesn't cause much of an issue with texture either, which I thought it would. I've worked as a consultant for a paint company (residential and commercial, not "recreational") for three years, so I know shitloads of techniques, but this is the coolest thing I've heard of in a minute.
    Anybody know of Super Glue that could be dissolved into an oil/water/whatever paint? I think this could possibly lead to a much harder-to-buff brew for mops and markers. Then again, I might just waste my time and make a horrible mess.

11. ESKiMO2

ESKiMO2 Elite Member

ignore all dickhole generic writer kids
    innovate and create materials that are most productive for you. it's ones like those who get ahead.

12. Landen

Landen New Member

While surfing net i came here and find this web different one...i found useful information at here...There are certainly many different posts at here...And this one also seems to me different one!

13. zachatnca

zachatnca Senior Member

when i was doing bleach stenciling my friend made me a can full of bleach. he said its a big paint in the ass unless you have all the supplys ready. you gotta remember u also have to repressurize it.