Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Chemistry 101:Beginner Ink Labs and Pics

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by HëRbN, Jul 2, 2008.

Share This Page

1. acereborn

acereborn Elite Member

Experiment, experiment, experiment. I've never even heard of using vinegar, so I can't really answer that for you.

2. libra25

libra25 Senior Member

ive heard of vanilla extract in inks i dont how gud it is, i never tried before
    vanilla extract is 35% alcohol

3. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

You can boil it to get the water out and then cut the sludge you get with more alcohol but use atleats 90% the second time.

Man this shit took off lol glad to see the interest

4. (SoS)Viruz

(SoS)Viruz Elite Member

Yo Herbn what up with the MAtches???

5. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

get steel wool and let it soak in just enough Vineger to cover it. let it soak for like a month and it will turn to a brown liquid, strain it and add it to your ink and it will stain harder. this should not be the primary liquid in your ink though just use like 1/5 parts to your usual alc. mixture.

Xylene is whats in decocolors thats why they last in the sun and weather so well, it can be used in place of or with alcohol. I dont know where to but it on its own though.

the matches are just what i use to mix test colors on that little palette, thats all guys lol. no real importants. and that little cup is magnesium sulfate aka epson salt. im experimenting with its usefulness at the moment as a thickener and will let you guys know if it does anything or not.

The small bottles are something i found at Micheals craft store, there resin dyes and the instructions say to use a drop per resin mold so there very high concentrate and come in a 3 pack of red blue and yellow. retail is 10.49 but theyre 5 fingerable. i suggest them as a color additive but im still experimenting with them to. Details to come.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  6. (SoS)Viruz

(SoS)Viruz Elite Member

Thanks Herbn

you said steel wool huh? I got that stuff layyin around somewhere. But damn a month that a long ass time.

7. I GOT CLOUT

I GOT CLOUT Elite Member

8. SAID

SAID Moderator

yo i've been thinking about this for a while.
    what if you filled a marker with gas, tagged your shit and just light it on fire?
    Won't it create a chemical change and will never be removed?
    hmmm.

9. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

haha yes not like 2 years, i actually tried BBs like a hand full and just enough vineger to cover them. And it gets gets the same result but in a day or 2, i havent used it as an additive yet though so i dont know the chemical differences it will yeild seeing as one is steel and one is copper. its a thick brown sludge though! gotta be usefull for something. Updates to come!

SORRY GUYS I HAD TO EDIT THE ABOVE POST ITS STEEL WOOL AND VINEGER* ***NOT ALCOHOL*** I miss typed it

10. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

You would be setting yourself up for an arson charge. and it would burn the whole wall above it as well as what you tagged making it pointless, NOT A GOOD IDEA. And paint covers burns anyway. Stick with making ink man.

And ive thought about using Vanilla Extract, but never have. So i cant help you there, Why dont you try it out and see if you notice any difference just make small batches of the standard pen recipe and cut some vanilla into one. and test em side by side, that would be the best way to find out.

11. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

if ur lookign into really good hydrocarbon based inks, go out and find soem bitumen in stores, or just go pick off a pice of tar from the road. Then heat it up until its goey and mix in naptha(lighter fluid) until it is like paint consistency. If you took it off teh ground ur gunna want to filter it wih a coffee filter to get teh rocks out. Then you can add thsi to alcohol or ethanol based inks by usign mustard powder, or you can add in ur own shit and use it straight.

12. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

also for alcohol, id sugest goign to lowes or home depot and buyign soem denatured alcohol
    awww.aircraftspruce.com_catalog_thumbnails_01_00399.jpg this is better than isopropyl alcohol beause it is 99.99% puire ethanol, with a little bi of methanol so you cant drink it or make alcoholic beverages out o it

13. (SoS)Viruz

(SoS)Viruz Elite Member

I'll do it tomarrow and tell you how it went. Im gettin like 80 of pens and allot of shit so I'll pick upsome Vanilla toamrrow.,

14. Allthegoodnamesaretaken

Allthegoodnamesaretaken Senior Member

15. geritto

geritto Senior Member

if its pure ethanol isnt that like gas so it prolly cost alot right?

16. Haze..

Haze.. Senior Member

no, its a liquid, and thats what backpacks are for.

17. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

no gas is petrolium, a hydrocarbon. this is ethanol, the stuff used in alcoholic drinks. but since tehres a tax on alcoholic beverages, they ptu some methanol in the ethanol to make it toxic, so then you dont have to pay the extra tax. it is almost pure ethanol, which is pretty cheap, i think its liek 15$ MAX

18. Haze..

Haze.. Senior Member

funny, its free everywhere i go.

19. acereborn

acereborn Elite Member

Wait- So if that is 99.99% pure ethanol, doesnt that mean its only like 95% alcohol? I'm pretty sure that ethanol is 95% alcohol, but since 99% isopropyl alcohol is 99% alcohol, wouldn't that make isopropyl better?

Plus, this should be in the full ink thread right now- it's a bit advanced

20. Haze..

Haze.. Senior Member

isopropyl is alot easier to get and is more or less the same