Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

How to make stickers with paper, duct tape, and glue.

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by b5200, Mar 29, 2010.

Share This Page

1. b5200

b5200 Member

I already posted this in a thread in the toy forum but I thought I'd post it here too.

How to make stickers with paper, duct tape, and glue.

Out of necessity, one day i sat down with a bunch of craft stuff and experimented until I created a home made sticker.

Step 1. The backing.

To create the backing you take a piece of paper that you don't plan to use any more and you cover it in duct tape or an equally smooth tape. I use some shitty "clear" duct tape I got at big lots because it's not actually clear(and therefore useless), the smooth side can have duct tape ripped off it without paper staying on the tape, and because it can usually hold onto the backing instead of going with the duct tape. These are things you should look for in an alternative tape if you want to save your duct tape for better things.

Step 2. The sticky part.

This is the part of the sticker that will actually be applied to the surface that you stick your sticker on. Take the duct tape and apply it in a different direction than the tape on the backing. Be very careful with the tape, if you accidentally get it dirty, don't rip it off whatever you stuck it on then use it for the sticker. If it isn't clean it wont stick, that's why the backing is coated in tape. Make sure to keep the tape smooth so that the paper stays on better. Sometimes the tape can be hard to remove from the backing so what Ill usually do is take some scrap tape and stick it in the corner between the backing and second layer of duct tape. This creates a pull tab for quick removal. If your scrap tape is too thin you can sometimes pull it and just rip a strip between your sticker and backing.

Step 3. The image.

Now all that's left is the part that you want people to see. I recommend creating your image beforehand so that if you make a mistake you don't lose an entire sticker.

Simply take your image and glue it to the backing. Be sure to use less glue towards the middle and use more glue on the edges. If you use too much glue it will fuck with the image. After you put the paper on the glue(or the backing on the glue) squeeze out as much glue as you can by running an old credit card or a piece of cardboard over it. The corners have a tenancy to be what causes the paper to peel so what I've tried recently is not gluing the corners with regular glue then after it dries finish up the corners with super glue. I haven't been doing this last part long enough to see how they last but I think it's gonna stay up longer.

I've used this to create stickers from printed pictures without any sticker paper. Sticker paper is easier but I don't have any so I created this, plus I suspect duct tape stays up longer than what they use for glue.

2. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

Where do you get the duct tape from?
    Buy it?
    Then why not just buy sticker paper?
    Steal it?
    Then why not just steal sticker paper?
    This idea is stupid and overly time consuming.
    I salute your ingenuity, though.

3. SAID

SAID Moderator

post pics of the finished product yeedig

4. THEGREATSOUTHERNTRENDKILL

THEGREATSOUTHERNTRENDKILL Senior Member

5. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

heh I get all my slaps 4 free since I work as a graphic designer for a funny shirts stand, and my deal with the boss was that I get like a couple hundred slaps of each design I do for him for every project :p
    he prints the stickers anyway to give away as promotion with every shirt he sells at the stand

6. inpho_211

inpho_211 Senior Member

where tha fuck r u from?

7. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

I the fuck am from Lebanon

8. inpho_211

inpho_211 Senior Member

9. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

I'm not ?
    damn, and I thought I was the one that knew the most shit about myself:confused:

10. CrustOner

CrustOner Elite Member

Area code 961 is Lebanon, homie.

11. syne7

syne7 Senior Member

How are you supposed to carry these around? If I want to slap one of these to a stop sign, wont it stick to my pockets? Its easier to steal stickers then make some.

12. inpho_211

inpho_211 Senior Member

lebanon..as in middle eastern lebanon?

13. b5200

b5200 Member

It's just like a normal sticker, it has a piece that you peel off of the sticky part.

14. IlikePie

IlikePie Elite Member

I don't get it. This is a horrible walkthrough.

15. b5200

b5200 Member

I took 3 paragraphs to say put tape on paper, put tape on the tape, and glue paper to the tape. How much more do I need to detail it?

16. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

DUDE! FFS! yes... lebanon... as in middle eastern lebanon... why... the FUCK... r u so surprised ?

where are YOU from ? and are you serious ?!?!?!? no ure not !!! there's NO WAY ure from there !!! you're kidding me !!! get outta here !

loool

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  17. rush2

rush2 Senior Member

18. inpho_211

inpho_211 Senior Member

i didn't even know they bombed over there..wait i knew they bombed over there i just didn't know they tagged over there..ha..

19. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

yeah the graffiti scene over here is very young, only like 10-15 years old
    and quick question: what's your full name, address and/or home phone number ? :)

20. Eyeaddiction

Eyeaddiction New Member

Why wouldn't you just buy the stickers?