Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Blackbooks

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Kayone707, Jun 15, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Bazer

Bazer Moderator

splrt... looks like youre worried about the negative space. work on your letter spacing.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Skope2

Skope2 Senior Member

SPLRT - your letters seem to get smaller as it goes across the page. You should put down some parallel lines like this
    ----------------
    SPLRT
    ----------------
    So you can get them all the same length and in a straight line. Obviously just rub the lines out when youre done.

Going to put some color into these tommorow.

Attached Files:

3. pointman

pointman Senior Member

Skope - really liking the first piece and you're fills are always really good . Cant decide if the 3d is too much on the last letter but what do i know im shit at 3d anyway haha
    ok thanks for the crits i will work on it! did a quick one before im off its just a rough pencil sketch.

Attached Files:

4. ian

ian Elite Member

^dude use bars and keep their widths consistent

5. ViniVidiVici

ViniVidiVici Senior Member

Splrt - That S is whack just redo it and use bars. also your holes in the P and R are horrible, follow your letters curves.

Skope - First one is good, second one is okay, I think the huge 3D on the last E is not needed though

6. extinct

extinct Senior Member

7. cheese_dreams

cheese_dreams Member

ok, tried more to follow the advice, here it is, unjoined, minimal extensions, with bonus tags around the outside

Attached Files:

• bb4.jpg
      bb4.jpg
      File size:
      114.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Skope2

Skope2 Senior Member

Dude that looks about 10x better than the previous stuff you uploaded. Just keep working and refining that style until you can really nail it. Then youll be able to start progressing toward that more complex lettering.

9. ribcage

ribcage Banned

yee now that i look at it the 3d is pretty fucked, when i look at it all I see is my fucked up A so the 3d mistakes slipped by... good looks

10. ian

ian Elite Member

anytime my man. id suggest making a vanishing point and taking all your corners to the point with a straight edge, itll prevent mistakes in the 3d

11. nah!

nah! Banned

12. pointman

pointman Senior Member

From bar letters working on spacing rubbing out parts and shit.

Attached Files:

13. ian

ian Elite Member

^you have to bend and use the bars even when you move away from keyboard letters man, you cant just draw keyboard letters and then fuck around with them. keep the widths consistent, the middle of the s and top of the p and r are way thin compared to other parts

quick sketch in class
    ai.imgur.com_wOKcJl.jpg

14. pointman

pointman Senior Member

Il delete the crap above, thanks for the advice ian this is the first time ive actually sat down and attempted the lettering i usually stick to characters and things.

Attached Files:

15. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

@Skope2

both those sketches are def improvements from your previous works. good stuff man, keep going.
    as for crits, the D in the first sketch looks like a U, mainly cuz you left the top two bars separate, the line between them needs to go so that they merge and become one curved bar. look out for that one. and unlike what the other mans said, personally, I dig the big 3D on the E and would advise you to enlarge the rest of the letters' 3Ds to match that of the E's instead of shortening out the E's out to match the rest of the letters. maybe use a vanishing point at the far right of the piece to slant your 3D's lines a bit to give the whole piece a bit of depth. i reckon it would look MUCH doper than isometric 3D going in one parallel way.
    keep developing

16. FuckTheFame

FuckTheFame Elite Member

afarm6.static.flickr.com_5259_5530786418_b8386bf847.png

BLUE - nice colors
    POINTMAN - looking good. your progression is dope
    cheese dreams - whats up with color
    IAN - work on your flow

17. ViniVidiVici

ViniVidiVici Senior Member

Youth not bad, the Y is good I think, I still think your H needs work.

New stuff, only really get to sketch during class, just doing quickies.... The D looks shitty, I'mma fix the bars on it later, got fucked up when I tried to darken around it.

Attached Files:

18. urks

urks Member

19. pointman

pointman Senior Member

-Youth dope as always keep up the good work! i need to get back to you on that exchange..maybe when im a little better! i promise
    -Dosh really like the whole 3d thing going on but i think you said it yourself about the D
    -ERKL? top one is dope but i think its the proportion thing just making it look right ya know? oh and dope handstyles man from what i can see!

Last one for tonight im off to bed its 2 am here hahaha
    afarm6.static.flickr.com_5095_5531027280_598e37f11f.jpg

20. ribcage

ribcage Banned

bump this *****, looks dope, kinda aint diigin the zigzag in the tail of the Y but it probably looks better with it then without it