Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Toronto

Discussion in 'Picture gallery' started by mindo, May 3, 2004.

Share This Page

1. panic

panic Elite Member

OH MY.
    whats up your ass?
    I went on the internet at work, typed in "old english font" , looked at that font, copied the letters i wanted to use, and painted them. Therefore, i copied an INTERNET FONT, which was a digital copy of this gothic script you speak of.

Now, you say your going to be spending you next 3 and a half years as a full time student studying fonts, thats great, show me how you've progressed. When you come on here spitting shit about "shameless jacking" and "not working for me" how am i supposed to gleen some information about improving my experiment? you called it "creative critisism", i call it "shit talking" because you didnt like what you saw. If you had said something more along the lines of "your C sucks, its off balance, the top is messed up and the bottoms of your P and N arn't matching, though they should be" i may have not become so pissed of. your a student of this typography, thats great, but please dont come at me like some higher being because you know more about letter arraingment and styling. i just paint graffiti. i dont even goto fucking art school.
    Of coarse they didnt come out perfect, the spot wasnt legal, i didnt have tons of paint, or tons of time. nobody is fucking perfect you twat. Besides, the last time you tried something new did it come out perfect the first time?

2. square

square Elite Member

i dont think you fully grasp the concept of the critique. i told you precisely why it wasnt working for me, and what i think you could have done to improve it. thats what constructive criticism IS. stating your opinion, stating why you have that opinion, and making suggestions. get over the fact that i didnt like it and realize that there was no personal attack, and i wasnt "talking shit" for the sake of talking shit.

its probably a good thing you dont go to art school, because at art school teachers critique every fault and merit of your work, IN DEPTH, IN FRONT OF YOUR CLASSMATES. get over yourself just enough to not be insulted, because it sure as hell wasnt meant as an insult. if your response to my relatively light criticism is "nobody is fucking perfect you twat", then you really need to re-evaluate your concept of "creative experimentation". you experiment, and people tell you what is or isnt working for them, and you continue to refine your experimentation until (most) people are pleased. the fact that it didnt come out perfectly the first time is the whole POINT, so i dont know what you think you're accomplishing by telling me that.

and no, im not a student of typography (although ill likely be taking some typography, printmaking, etc), as of right now im just a general fine arts student with no major.

3. MorfOne

MorfOne Senior Member

Regardless, That wall is nice...I had a similar idea to try out some gothic font..

4. panic

panic Elite Member

Ok you got me there.
    My only defence is that this is not a class room and that i dont know you personally like in a classroom setting. its a forum, and im not in a good mood by any stretch, being bored and fumed out at work. so i took your bit of critisism to heart.

are you taking art fundimentals?
    edit* i would have preffered an in-depth analysis, even if you did rip me a new one.

edit** this will hopefully all be deleted soon enough.

5. edit

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  6. AerusOne

AerusOne Senior Member

Wow, Panic, your really over reacting, he was simpily critiquing your shit and yo flipped on him, if you have so much stress, go bun a spliff and chill.

7. poo_ON_U

poo_ON_U Senior Member

its hip hop bitch, herby ass terky fuck AAAAAh some are herbs some are not if we were using faggot ass net slang we would say something like ahhhhhhhh, glioooooven im a big nerd, GOD UR STUPID

8. poo_ON_U

poo_ON_U Senior Member

fuck your self bitch, froj had jus gotten a phact flick an i was tellin him to post it

and if u got beef ill battle your bitch ass too, i dont give a fuck who you are

hit me with a pm an keep the beef out of these threads

now heres the first pics on this fucking page
    [Broken External Image]:http://img26.exs.cx/img26/1165/KNoner.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img26.exs.cx/img26/7626/causrbomb.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img26.exs.cx/img26/7950/evictjafar.jpg [/b][/quote]
    HAHAHAHAHA U WILL BATTLE ME AHAHAHAHAHA ILL GIVE U A POINTER U DONT WANT ITS A WASTE OF PAINT U DONT EVEN WANNA KNOW WHAT I WRIITE YOU WILL FEEL STUPID U FUK AHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH YOU WANNA BATTLE ME PM AND WE WILL FUCK I LOVE THAT ITS HILARIOS PLEASE BATTLE ME < ILL GIVEA U A FUCKIN HINT WHO I AM IM ONE OF THEM PPEEEPS U FUCKS TAKE FLICKS OFF AT 416 I BURN UR SHIT AND IF U WANNA ACTUALLY BATTLE ME FOR THINKIN UR SOME GAY ASS INTERNET KID THEN FUCK PM WE WILL BATTLE I KRUSH TOYS!

9. FraggleRok

FraggleRok Banned

haahhaha this thread is hte shit, nobodies posted a single thing for so long...

10. pen_thief

pen_thief Senior Member

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v203_chedah_li_02.jpg

:angry: :angry:

NADER FOR PRES

11. Ahcronym

Ahcronym Senior Member

whats with over analyzing this piece, just look at it like it or dont...so some kid wanted to show off some knowlegde whatever, the piece is tight, the letters are readable, who gives a shit if he didnt get the original copy of these gothic letters

12. square

square Elite Member

"so some kid wanted to show off some knowledge"

im not a kid, and the fact that i have the knowledge to back up my comments does not mean im showing off. it means ive educated myself.

i guess the "shamelessy jacking" comment didnt go over too well, but i didnt mean it so much in a bad sense, just that you directly used recognizable source material. i doubt there are many king-type writers out there who HAVENT at one point or another thought about/experimented with classic gothic scripts. i just threw that in there because i personally would prefer to see lettering that was obviously inspired by a certain script, but was understood very well and adapted to a personal style (there are many rules that apply to gothic lettering that can be directly applied to a graffitti style...thickness of lines, sizing of the letters, direction of lines, etc). if you do a little searching, you will find that there are gothic-inspired letters from the renaissance (usually only the first letter was really stylized/complex, used as an initial on letters etc) that just tooootally burn that classical gothic style.

yes im in foundation studies, meaning art history from 15th cent., form & structure, colour & 2-d design, drawing (which briefly covers anatomy, colour theory, techniques, etc), and some other courses ill be taking next semester.

if you want an "in depth" critique of that piece, here it goes

1. uniformity. its fine to use fonts/classic scripts as a base, but its far less effective if you only use it for half the piece. gothic calligraphy is based around uniformity...meaning every letter has a completely verticle component, similar (often exactly the same) shapes, and proportions. the fact that you mixed in classic gothic letters with your own graffitti lettering interrupts the uniformity. and i KNOW that was intentional, but in this case id have to say it doesnt QUITE work because...

the P and N are pretty much vertical letters (in that the most prominent bar on each letter is entirely vertical). this clashes with the flow of the A, I, and C. it almost gives the impression that 2 people worked on that piece...one person did the P and N, and another person came along and squeezed the A I C in there (although i know the C is also a gothic letter, ill get to that in a sec). the arrow extensions on the A and I also really clash with the gothic-style extensions. yo ucould get away with a certain amount of curvature as long as the main bar in the A and I were verticle, and the curves were all similar. this is clearly a linear piece (in that it has evenly spaced letters placed along a straight line, as opposed to gestural/natural), so it needs a very obvious balance. the outstanding mistakes there are the thickness of the I (too thick) and the thin-ness of the curved bar of the C (too thin). the bar of the I needs to be broken up into 2 parallel bars, one thick and one thin, like the main part of the P and N (the thick/thin parallel bars are everywhere in the gothic alphabet).

this is, of course, all assuming that you want a very geometrically balanced, linear piece with vertically-based letters. you could alternately alter the gothic letters you used to break that up and make the whole thing more free-flowing.

whew

all that said, afte rlooking at the piece for a while it is a bit more appealing than i first thought.

13. panic

panic Elite Member

there, now that was some good reading
    and having said that, i already said i would be going back to fix some stuff, so you might be in for a suprise.

that is if i accually do go back. i would like to. the I is missing some 3d and the C is quite shitty, but mend-able.
    edit* I remember a painting partner of mine having a rather large typography book with him in montreal 2 years back, I think i should pick one up. just by reading your critique i formed a few nice ideas in my head that would have otherwise not materialised(sp?).

14. Lester Berns

Lester Berns Senior Member

I know you probably just bought bum fights with your parents credit card, got amped, and figured it would be cool to spray some "homeless piece of shits" jacket, but in my opinion, fucking with homeless people is a dick move...

He could be a veteran, or just a regular guy who was dealt a bad hand... or maybe he is just a lousy alcoholic piece of shit... but that doesnt change the fact that youre probably a spoiled kid who takes things like food and shelter for granted...

Everyone out there is just a bad circumstance away from becoming homeless if you think about it, and this dudes life is tough enough without your corny tag fucking it up even more... Ahhh who gives a fuck... at least you impressed some kids online!!!! I was impressed!!!!

15. -> DUMB ONE <-

-> DUMB ONE <- Elite Member

very uncool

edit: exactly what ges said

16. KARE 2 ELABERATE

KARE 2 ELABERATE Elite Member

haha "poo on you" said he wanted to fuck me

see :blink:

17. poo-on-shoe2

poo-on-shoe2 Member

18. KARE 2 ELABERATE

KARE 2 ELABERATE Elite Member

hey man, hes the one callin me a faggot for no reason

19. pen_thief

pen_thief Senior Member

I took that image off puregraffiti, I DO think the guy is an asshole...sorry for offending.

I'm sorry about your dog aswell..

20. AerusOne

AerusOne Senior Member

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v194_graff_Graff_Box003.jpg
    Boom Box by Kismet.