Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Wheatpaste

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by C-money fresh!, Sep 2, 2007.

Share This Page

1. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

[Broken External Image]:http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg131/Shadrick15/Coipodn-1.jpg

Im just beginning and i know they suck so keep the diss comments to yourselves. theyre more of like really big stickers then actual wheatepastes, but some of my actual wheatepastes will be designed after these, I still cant think of an image to put on there though.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. C3ZR ONE

C3ZR ONE Moderator

Word. I won't fuck with you, but I'll give you some constructive suggestions. Out of the 3 you posted, the 3rd has the most potential. The first doesn't really work because it's kinda bad form to do straight up graffiti on a poster. People will say "well, why didn't he just grow some balls and paint it?" Posters are just a different animal than letter graff. I like to keep my posters rooted in letter graff, or have that spirit, and I even throw a tag on them sometimes, but you can't justr rock a piece across a poster. You'll get clowned on. (Plus you really gotta work on your letter structure, but like you said you're just beginning.
    The second one is done in markers that look like they will fade VERY quickly in the sun. I use markers for my posters too, but the only ink I trust to not fade quickly is black. The rest go to shit within days or weeks. If you're gonna do color, I'd suggest using paint or paint markers.

The third makes sense. Now it just needs that extra something added to bring it into the poster genre. Posters are for heat spots and if they're done well can get alot of attention, but if it's just your name, you may as well just throw a tag up with a fat cap. Pull the viewer in with an image. Names alone don't do it anymore. The streets are filled with them. Put up something that grabs peoples attention, and have the "Toxic" as a signiture rather than the focal point. Here's an example of what I mean.
    aa485.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images01_96_l_984aaa8c2f6675e5070ac131bf4d84b4.png
    See I get my name in there, but I don't use it as a focal point. I learned this because I made a few posters with just my name when I first started. Nobody remembers them, and they ran for a long time. Posters like this get people talking. Hope that helped.

3. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

thanks so much man. I always didnt know what to do with my pastes since i was just used to bombing, and you helped me bridge the link to that.

thanks alot man.

and thats some sweet shit you got goin on there.

4. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

Oh yeah what do you guys use for drawing/filling in your wheatepastes? I used to do regular paint but i found it warped my paper to much. Usually i use pilot jumbos for bigger pastes, while with some of my smaller stickers/pastes, i use sharpie posterpaints, and markwell.

5. Indigoblue

Indigoblue Senior Member

I stencil with montana spraypaint. But usually I work on a bit thicker drawing paper, like 120 g/m. But I've found that it works pretty well on normal paper too, you get a bit of warping but not enough to bother me.

6. RUP'E

RUP'E Senior Member

nice stuff indigo.
    tho i would imagine that using Montana paint for your stencils on paper wouldn't really be necessary. I would personally use cheaper paint because I'm constantly tight on money.
    if your using acrylic paint make a thin mix so you dont make the paper too much thicker and heavier. Paint pens work beautifully, and you can buy (or be a rat kid and steal) those thick uni poscas they work great.
    this forum is looking ok again.
    peace to the revivers.

7. Jase

Jase Senior Member

i just plain do what i want. ;)

haha, i have stopped pasting, kinda got over it cause i can do bigger stuff in bigger spots.
    Like i have no doubt that CEZR's wheatpastes pawn my peices. but for example i did like 5 wheatpates in this suburb all A3 so not very big. the next month they had a billboard installed and gave a nice fence near it, so i did a biig peice on it. The piece would of gotten me more up then the pastes. Thats just my little theory. Though the peice was taken down in about 2 weeks, and the pastes are stil there 4 months later

8. Indigoblue

Indigoblue Senior Member

I was using Krylon and it sucked. So much bleeding, fuzzy edges, everything I painted looked like shit. Switched to Montana and it's just so much cleaner. I think it's worth it. I'd rather pay a couple extra bucks a can and be happy with the way my stencils look. Plus there's so much more color selection...
    Plus my buddy owns a graf shop and I get deals on paint, so that helps.

9. CHUB

CHUB Senior Member

10. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

thats ones a ton better, ive noticed that if you soend alittle extra time to make all your edges the exact same width (the amount of white between the edge and the black face for example)it'll really make a big difference between the professional-ness of the appearence. Im just alittle anal when it comes to stickers and pastes though....

11. seb

seb Senior Member

haha ncie man, i like y our style

12. sik_bomber

sik_bomber Senior Member

Heres some tips on applying the poster. buy some wallpaper paste or make your own wheat paste and funnel it into a squirt or squeeze bottle. apply paste to surface and use the sponge side of a squegee(spelling?) to spread the paste around. apply the poster and push the rubber side of the squegee too each corner to push out bubbles and also add a layer of paste to the poster with the sponge side to make it water proof. also: the rubber may tear very thin paper so you may also use the sponge side to push out bubbles.

13. SAID

SAID Moderator

i figured id ask this here,
    is there any kind of spray or liquid i can apply to paper to make it gloss?

14. Ity

Ity Senior Member

Why would u want it to be gloss?
    but best bet would to use a clear coat thats glossy

15. acereborn

acereborn Elite Member

yeah, krylon has some stuff like that. i think its called clear coat or something lol. maybe check their site.

EDIT: beaten to it.

16. Brian Peppers

Brian Peppers Senior Member

what kinda paper you using there?

17. JustanObserver

JustanObserver Member

to any one that is afraid of ruining pots in makeing wheatpaste you can use some thing called boil-a-bag its a plastic bag that doesnt melt .. cooks use then to keep moisture in meat... so you have no messy pot to clean up ... plus you can take the paste out on bombing trips in bag... the bag is pretty sturdy ... you can buy it at any grocery store .. but it may have another name ...

i have a question anyone add food coloring to their paste i've tried and made a blue tint to my paste ... adds alil pop to the poster .. has any one else tried this??

18. SAID

SAID Moderator

cause i bought sheets of stickers, but they're not glossy, its just like paper.
    then i printed these:
    http://streetstickers.co.uk/machine/

theyre gonna get screwed up in the rain you know?
    thanks for the help guys!

19. maso1

maso1 Senior Member

Indigo that shit is dope keep up the goo work!

20. C3ZR ONE

C3ZR ONE Moderator

Indigo- You should put something in the street art battle. I'm gonna drop something in too. We need more poster cats involved.