Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

What's with the style?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taurus, Mar 21, 2010.

Share This Page

1. Akosta Phoebia

Akosta Phoebia Member

graffiti is about more than just a medium. u can use spray paint to paint anything but just the act of using that paint doesnt make it graffiti.

you can paint a mural using spraypaint but its not graffiti. even if ur a graffiti artist but u decided just to paint a mural its still a mural. graffiti is about letters. all of this has already been said im pretty sure.

and as was said before if your letters dont flow then its going to be astheticly wrong isnt it. toys arnt being taught a super specific style just the most basic elements of letter construction.

thats no different to being in art class. your still being taught by people who are more advanced than u. what you do when u finish art school is your choice, you can throw out whatever concepts u hated but it will still form the basis of your artwork. if u have no lettr structure then its just going to look like shit

2. Solace_one

Solace_one Member

Half of LA shit was people listening to Punk and Thrash metal, and Death Metal too. That's part of why you can immediately recognize an LA peice--that, and the traditiion of the writing of mexican gangsters which went back to the 30's. People said "Hey, that's not even hip-hop! that's punk graffiti..." but now they know wassup. What you listen to definatly affects your letters... and characters are part of graffiti too, but really it boils down to letters. And yes, a writer MUST have a tag, you start with tags. Always. It's not even a handstyle untill you grow into it. But yeah, dude.... graffiti is about being illegal. If you never do illegal peices, you're not shit in the graff world. If you don't do tags, you won't get up as easy. I think it's like a game-- tags aren't worth many points, depending on the danger of placing them and style, but they double your EXP (experiance points) when you peice. Same when you bomb, but bombs are worth more points.... like, 50 or something compared to 10. A good peice, of course, is worth 100-1000 points or so. Man, there was this time I was watchin' trains with my writing buddy and protege CLOWN LEX "DB", and I was seein' peices off the hook!!! I saw OTB crew, alot of local writers I'd recognize anywhere: ABS, AMK, Spud, TSB, OTR, NHC, man... and then I saw RELIK... I think I even saw SABER, but I said "fuck it" and ran to that bitch. I grabbed a hundred thousand tons of steel by the ass and pulled myself up, landed a tag..... and RAN OUT OF PAINT!!!! I threw the can, and pulled out my mop I made from a shoe-polish bottle. The nib is fucked. I finished off my tag, then jumped off before I got dragged into the RJ Corman yard and arrested. It was off the hook!!! There's NOTHING like graff, for real, it's amazing.... and I'm hooked. Yeh, I'm a rounded artist, and a talented one, but I've been in graff since 6th grade, and playing with letters as long as I can remember. Check out BLADE---he didn't follow anybody's rules.

3. AteskOne

AteskOne Elite Member

gayest graffiti analogy ever.

4. ironcrack

ironcrack Senior Member

or greatest graffiti analogy ever......?

5. FOWE

FOWE Member

I think by super specific you mean - throw, piece, etc.

I think that the only reason that different graffiti can be grouped like that is because styles are bitten so often that they resemble each other enough to be called "throws" or "wildstyle".

I personally believe that each artist should just try to come up with his own style. Be it, wierd bubble letters, or idfk.

But then there's shit that is straight up toy.

Originate, but look for others opinions to guide you in creating your own style.

Some toy shit I found on photobucket. There's a reason most handstyles don't look like this...

ai544.photobucket.com_albums_hh325_alvinowns_graffiti002.jpg

6. whahappen?

whahappen? Elite Member

intelligent

7. AlphonsoRawls

AlphonsoRawls Member

i just did a really sick piece and i got DOUBLE EXP!!! cause i had like 150 points worth of tags in dope spots around my high school

8. HeardIs

HeardIs New Member

I believe People that Do listen to Metal and shit can Do graffiti ,but Graffiti Will always Be apart of the Hip hop culture,No doubt.I mean you Cant fuck with that.Metal Heads Can do graffiti but If theyre Doing it theyre participating In this part Of hip hop we call Graffiti.

9. Jet

Jet Elite Member

you sound like the biggest herb ever.

graffiti started before hip hop. all the first generation subway writers listened to rock and roll and disco and shit.

10. biblebeltbangerz

biblebeltbangerz Elite Member

its even better to write something ugly as shit but just has that pop effect somehow. that magic.