Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Screen Printing/Silk-Screen Printing

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Cesk, Jun 9, 2009.

Share This Page

1. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yea ive been using the filler, but you cant get crisp[ lines well.

i got some window cling shit, thats clear and you can print on so ima use that.

2. $IN30NE

$IN30NE Senior Member

hey so i wanna get into screen printing and all but i dont know where to get the right equipment..
    theres a beginer screen printing kit at michaels but it costs 250 dollars..and im definitely not buying that
    so could anyone help me out with where to get some equipment?

3. YOLK01

YOLK01 Senior Member

Make it your self its not that hard. The most expensive thing is the emolsion.

4. zenne

zenne Elite Member

dude, you could probably dumpster dive for everything you need cept emulsion and paint. just get some cardboard and shit, and get a screen and some duct tape, and your all set.

5. $IN30NE

$IN30NE Senior Member

alright coool,,thats pretty much what i wanted to know cause there is no way i was gonna spend a whole bunch of money on this..
    im gonna do some research on how to make a homemade one..
    but could one of you guys explain how to make one?

6. rawr

rawr Banned

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. O_O

@Guy above me,
    Buy the shit, trust me, unless you have proper screen print mesh, your homemade screen will fail.

If you want to start off, start with bought stuff and as you move on do home made shit.

7. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yea ur not gunan find a screen in any dumpster, dont buy that kit heel no, but just go and buy a sceen for liek 10-20$, and then buy a squeegee and some ink for like 10-20$, and then some emulsion stuff or some screen filler

8. $IN30NE

$IN30NE Senior Member

alright cool..im almost positive they sell the screen and squeegee seperately at the michaels i go to so ill try to buy them
    thanks for the help

9. m.ziggy

m.ziggy Senior Member

i have been using stencils instead of emulsion just cause i dont know how to use emulsion. anyone have tips on it or information on it?

10. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

its easy.
    just buy the emulsion, teh sensitizer

then just spread the emulsion thinly on both sides, let it dry (do all of this in a dark place)

then once its dry, get some transparency paper, and draw ur image or print it on there

then put the transparency paper ontop of the screen, and put it under a light bulb for a certain amount of time(look up thw times online)

11. toxus

toxus Elite Member

is there any spray i can use?

12. Roo

Roo New Member

Hey guys,

I know I'm new to the forum and all that but I've got 5 years experiance doing printmaking, this serigraphy thing isn't that bad to start if your on a budget but it really does come down to if your serious, pay the money and go for the big stuff.

Making a screen out of framing wood from an art supply store, then stapling silk screen tight on the one side makes the easiest frame I find.
    The problem with a screen like this is ink will leak under the sides if you didnt seal them off. Its not that bad a problem though as long as your image is smaller then the screen.

Acetate is very helpful for lining layers of a pic up. Mylar also works and if your really desperate, pretty much anything see thru and fairly solid works.

If you only have one layer to print and want every print after that to be in the same place just tape around the outside corners of your sticker and then print, remove the sticker off and line the new one up within the tape. Simple and no messing around with acetate. :)

I can go into more detail on things if you want me to, I also will try to get pics of my tags up in here as soon as I can actually get a camera :S

13. tuximpcli

tuximpcli New Member

14. FrEEk_nine-o-fizzle

FrEEk_nine-o-fizzle Elite Member

got me some questions. what do i use to print onto vinyl?
    i dont use photo emultion. been taping acetate to the bottom of my screens. problem is every time i try and print, the paint (acrylic) im using bleeds ALOT. how do i stop this, is my paint to thin?

15. zachatnca

zachatnca Senior Member

i always wondered can you make silk screening ink thin and put it into mops?