Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. S!K3_NAW

S!K3_NAW Senior Member

all honestly yeahh id keep doing it...i wont lie it has become so much apart of my life that even if i ended up in jail id jus go from walls and frieghts back to the basics while im incarcinated...but honestly tho ive been locked up and it isnt shit all you need to do is get smarter learn from your mistakes and get slicker.....

2. inker555

inker555 Senior Member

In answering the poll I said grafitti was not art. After rethinking grafitti is art. One of the biggest problems is it is normally done on someones property without permission. No matter what anyone thinks the world is not everones canvas. Like it or not. If you do it on your own canvas that you paid for then its art. If you spray it on my building then its grafitti and expect to get your ass kicked if I catch you doing it. Thats my take FWIW.

3. S!K3_NAW

S!K3_NAW Senior Member

but how you going to do graffiti and not apprechiate it...? regardless of how much you get around you cant really be hipacritical i guess...but its w.e if i owned a buisness to be honest i wouldnt giv a fuck if thay did shitt on mii building as long as thay didnt suck i guess..

4. inker555

inker555 Senior Member

I guess that would all depend on what kind of business you owned. If it was a skate board or tatoo shop then ya, it might even draw more business in. If it was most other things customers would not shop at your business. Then you would probably be pissed off cause you would be loosing business.

5. Queezy

Queezy Elite Member

Graffiti is definitely an art form, but like the above posts it's done on private/public spaces where the owner of the property don't like it 99% of the time. Most places are required to take it off in a certain time period if said by the landlord in contract, which is why heavens are a thing of beauty because if it's a concrete wall or or something unreachable owned by the government they won't remove it 99% of the time cause they aren't liable/required to remove it. And I got snitched and only received a ticket because lack of evidence but If I went to jail I would for sure keep doing it because at this point I'm dedicated and it's becoming a lifestyle. I want the phonies to get wrapped up because it will weed out the less dedicated, more beef having, punk bitches that talk shit behind backs/snitch and are outright lame.

6. blashe

blashe Member

you're asking if graffiti is an art in a graffiti forum on a graffiti website?
    isn't it kind of obvious what kinds of answers you're going to get?

7. Flawless Victory

Flawless Victory Elite Member

I don't think that graffiti is an art.
    I think that art can be influenced by graffiti,
    but graffiti is something written illegally on a public surface.

8. EST2007

EST2007 Elite Member

so the location and legality determines if something is art? thats rubbish.

for example, take mt. rushmore. most people would consider that art, no? but what most people don't realize is that the plot of land was illegally seized by the US gov't from the Lakota natives. so in the eyes of the natives, it was illegally constructed on THEIR land.

discuss...

9. Flawless Victory

No no no, sir,
    I'm not saying that art can't be created by means of graffiti.
    I'm saying that graffiti, straight up, in it's purist form, is not art.

10. EST2007

EST2007 Elite Member

graffiti, in it's purest form, of course is art.

take a handstyle on a brick building for example. by looking at the flairs and whips of the letters, you can derive the emotion, feeling and motive of the writer. Art, in it's simplest definition, is a creative representation of an emotion or a collection of emotions, regardless of the medium.

11. Flawless Victory

So would you consider a dick or a swazi or '7 mile bloods' art?

12. EST2007

EST2007 Elite Member

Actually, yes, i would consider those art (altough i am not familiar with 7 mile blood, so i cannot comment on that example).

The way I see it, it doesnt have to be the most creative way of expression, or the most complex emotion being portrayed, but rather any emotion being expressed in any creative way is art. that being said, a single line on a blank canvas or wall is art

13. Flawless Victory

I honestly think that any definition or description of art is unacceptable,
    because of how subjective and opinionated art is.

14. EST2007

EST2007 Elite Member

furthermore, just becasue you don't consider something art, doesnt mean the next person to experience it thinks the same.

doesnt the saying go... "one man's trash is another man's treasure" i think this saying fits this example nicely

15. Flawless Victory

That's what I'm saying.
    In a way EVERYTHING is art,
    and NOTHING is art at the same time.
    So giving it a definition at all would be redundant.

I think a more appropriate question would be "DO YOU THINK that graffiti is art?",
    answering whether or not graffiti is in fact art, or anything else is art for that matter, is impossible.

16. EST2007

EST2007 Elite Member

that being said, one cannot say something is not art, therefore everything is art.

wow that was werid, i was typing this up when u posted ur last msg

17. Flawless Victory

18. EST2007

EST2007 Elite Member

well i guess in a way we have both reached some kind of common ground. you are a good debator. one could even say you are a master debator. ahahahaha

19. Flawless Victory

As are you sir,
    I tip my hat at you.

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Senior Member

Graffiti is art and vandalism. It's both.
    Someone can sneeze on fucking paper and to them that's art. It really all depends on your definition of art and what form of graffiti you're talking about. Some people may not want to be associated with that 'artfag' crowd and deny graff's credibility as art but all I've got to say is boo fucking hoo. graff to me is art on places a lot of people don't want it to be on thus making it vandalism too.