Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Punk Rock Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ekto907, Jul 14, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Jet

Jet Elite Member

well this could debate forever but I will go on with my point of view.

In Miami there is a crust house called the Firefly, they have local shows, a library, and cookouts all the time.

However, all the shows they have only have the exact same 4 or 5 crust bands, they will not let any other type of band play, they are assholes to everyone that's not wearing a brown shirt with a nausea patch sewn on, and they are some of the most closed minded people I've ever met, roughly on the same level as organized religion.

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about the Ebay clothing

hee is an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PUNK-BONDAGE-PA...ryZ57989QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

these sell all the time for $70 +, and they are usually shorts but it's standard crust uniform. True, "real" crusties make their own clothes and sew all their own patches, but at least half of the crusties I've seen pop up in the last 6 months have dove-in head first to the culture purely because it's hot right now, so they buy bikes and ride them everywhere, and buy patches from crustpunks.com (seriously, I geard a kid ask a crusty wherer he got his COnflict patch and that's the website he endorsed)

so to the crusties that sew their own clothes with stolen fabric and stolen dental floss and get all their patches from distros and touring bands, I can respect that. but to all the fashonable fuckers who were listening to Operation Ivy and Lefrover Crack 6 months ago and now only listen to Rabia and Caustic Christ. Fuck off.

no beef with Vagrant, I just miss the way kids would actually dance and half fun at local shows and no be too cool to be friends with people that didn't dress exactly the same as them.

2. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

i don't really think this is a debate that will go on forever, considering I agree with most of what you just said.

you are correct about the e-bay clothing. i've never seen anything like that, and its fucking sickening. I was talking about the usual plaid zippered bondage pants by the company Dogpile or Tripp NYC or something:
    http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=399&idproduct=76772
    And ultra-studded and painted leather jackets. You know, the type of stuff usually worn by "street punks" or whatever you want to call them.
    Those pants you showed are a damn disgrace. They look like shit too.
    You are completely right about real crusties making their own clothes and sewing on their own patches. Stolen fabric (or thrift shop items) dental floss, and patches purchased at distro tables at actual shows of the band they want a patch of.
    You are completely right. But what you don't realize is that the house and lot of "crusties" that you mentioned don't count and you even said so yourself. When talking about clothing you said "real crusties". That house and group of assholes in Miami are not real crusties. They don't deserve to be called crust, and therefor you cannot judge Crust-Punk on that observation.

Forgive me for saying you don't know what crust is.

If you want to experience a true crust house, come up here to Appleton Wisconsin. Our local house is the shit. They get bands from all around to play (when the owners of the house aren't touring themselves) they are friendly, outgoing, talk to everyone no matter what color shirt their wearing or what patches they have on if any, let anyone come to shows, put on GOOD shows, and generally make fools of themselves for others amusement. Granted they are a bit more Thrash than Crust, but from what you described in Miami, they're definitely on the crust list.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  3. Jet

Jet Elite Member

good to hear.

I actually do get glimpses of decent crusties every once in a while at Food Not BOmbs. I have a lot more respect for the vagrant (no pun intended) folk-crusties than I do the metal-ish ones. I love FNB and riot folk and all that stuff and do actually run a small local distro myself but it's mostly punk and hardcore, so I must say I envy the scene you have up there and I think I will have a fresh start on crusties when I move to Boston, hopefully they're better then the ones here...

4. cast LI

cast LI Elite Member

yo jet are you from NY?

5. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

Jet, I love you. You have very good taste.

6. cast LI

cast LI Elite Member

on the subject of making your own shit

just repainted my vest. banksy obviously on the back. and world inferno friendship society on thje side

everything else on here i put on myself. the jacket was stolen from H&M and then i ripped off the sleeves.

ai214.photobucket.com_albums_cc205_pooptart666_IMG_0872.jpg

ai214.photobucket.com_albums_cc205_pooptart666_IMG_0877.jpg

ai214.photobucket.com_albums_cc205_pooptart666_IMG_0881.jpg

ai214.photobucket.com_albums_cc205_pooptart666_IMG_0883.jpg

ai214.photobucket.com_albums_cc205_pooptart666_IMG_0884.jpg

ai214.photobucket.com_albums_cc205_pooptart666_IMG_0885.jpg

7. 5Funerals

5Funerals Senior Member

Jesus Fuck.

Crust is good but it is deffinitely not what keeping punk alive. There shouldnt be such distinctions between the different subgenres. Its all punk and the intentions are the same. Everyone is working for the same thing except for the idiots who pose but dont know shit.

8. elcs

elcs Elite Member

yes, there should be such distinctions between subgeneras. each subgenera is an entirely different style of punk rock all with entirely different messages and goals. hell, even crust punk is a broad term encompassing bands from crass to nausea to skitsystem to his hero is gone.

9. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

Nazi Skinheads have the same intentions as vegan Crusties?

10. eska

eska Member

not even reading every page of this thread, so i have no idea what's going on after page 1, but all i have to say is if you say you're some huge punk and you dont listen to GBH or 7 Seconds then get your head out of your ass

11. STR-WHO

STR-WHO Guest

leftover crack,leftover crack, leftover crack, leftover crack, leftover crack

12. 5Funerals

5Funerals Senior Member

eska I think that could be debated haha. And I dont think 7 Seconds and GBH are bad either.

Anyways,
    Im not saying that the subgenres shouldnt be classified separately im just saying that I want to go to a show with a grind band, a ska band, a hardcore band, and a pop punk band all playing on the same bill. The unity is dead, atleast where I am at.

13. cast LI

cast LI Elite Member

5 funerals.... if thats in any way related to bomb the music industry...i love you.

14. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

My local house has had Thrash, Grindcore, and Pop Punk all on the same night.

15. Jet

Jet Elite Member

16. cast LI

cast LI Elite Member

ohh alright. i thought maybe cause you said food not bombs but then i realized how stupid i was to think its only in NY

the one here is awesome like last year we were fixing this house that was completely destroyed with graff.

and fuck yeah! world inferno! and gogol bordello!

start wearing purple!

17. Jet

Jet Elite Member

all your sanity and wits they will all vanish

I promise

it's just a matter of time!

18. Jet

Jet Elite Member

can someone upoload the We Know You Suck album by JFA?

I can't get the full torrent anywhere.

19. elcs

elcs Elite Member

i think i have it on my computer still, i'll check

20. elcs

elcs Elite Member

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_61YpifgqO_L._AA280_.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?614bx7o9m5z