Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Blackbooks

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by Kayone707, Jun 15, 2005.

Share This Page

1. aces

aces Elite Member

Thanks Rasm :) Oh and what Ribcage said is true...freestyles don't have erased pencil marks under them ;)

Messer - I'm not too sure what you're writing there but it looks something like HERTIES to me...I feel like you're hiding crappy letter structure by covering the piece in extensions...

karcus.jpg
    My Karcus piece for the battle...hasn't gotten a single vote but then again I finished the outline about 10 minutes before it was due and still had to throw the 3D on as well as the red accents in there. I'll color and finish it up later on tonight or maybe tomorrow and scan it so it's a clearer picture but anyone have any crits for me as it sits right now?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. Phat 2

Phat 2 Elite Member

I can't see a single letter's shape in there

that should be enough crit for you

I had done something similar to this a while ago :

[Broken External Image]:https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...70895686_202093693143954_947835_1860843_n.jpg

just out of curiosity, did you take the idea for your S being boxed in the H from that flick?
    I don't mean to be calling you out or anything, it's cool either you did or you didn't... I'm only curious, so don't get me wrong

3. aces

aces Elite Member

I guess you didn't learn how to read any graff that isn't strictly a keyboard letter then have you
    [Broken External Image]:http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7325/karcuswithletterlinesin.jpg
    That should help. I won't say that my piece is perfect and I can see how the R can get lost and maybe the U as well. I know I went overboard with the addons but fuck it you have to progress sometime...I've been doing simples for too long to never have thrown an addon in there (notice I joined in '06?). Try giving some real crits and being constructive and not giving me just one little snood remark or if you can't do that then just leave it alone and don't give me crits...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. Rasm

Rasm Senior Member

Well I guess it wasn't a true freestyle then, oh well, I said that because I didn't put much thought into the letters and basically just went with the flow.

@Aces, that's pretty dope man. I feel like it would look way better if the letters were all along the same line instead of having the K on top of the A and stuff like that. People probably think it's a little too crazy the way it takes up the whole page. As far as the actual letters go, I like them. I would dig the R a little more if the right leg connected where the loop meets the left leg, but it's still solid. By the way, I had no problem finding the letters, although at first I thought it said Arcus because I didn't see the K.

And I'm with you about the add-ons. I almost always do simples... check out what I've posted in this thread. My sketches almost never have extensions and when I do feel like adding them I don't think them through enough for them to flow. I joined in '07 but never posted, but I started writing in '05. Problem was for years I only sketched off-and-on so I didn't progress very fast.

@Phat2, wow I've never even seen that pic before man. Did you post it in the painted pieces thread? It's pretty fucking crazy how yours is black and white and mine's a pencil sketch... and you have the the H forming the right side of the box and so do I. But yeah, no offense taken, I see why you were curious hahah

5. aces

aces Elite Member

Thanks Rasm yea the K on top of the A was supposed to end up looking like an S the way the letters flowed like this:
    [Broken External Image]:http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6645/karcuswithslineinblue.jpg

Yea over the past year I haven't been sketching as much but up until then I had been sketching constantly (all throughout high school I'd usually bang out an piece every other class (2 hours). It took longer than usual cause I still paid attention in all AP classes and got B+/A-'s in all of em haha...it's just cause I didn't take notes I would just listen to the teachers and then kinda mindlessly do the pieces...

6. Rasm

Rasm Senior Member

Man I used to sketch in my AP classes too. Usually I'd choose a word that had to do with the topic we were learning about. High school was the shit; I miss being able to have a 4.0 with barely any effort.

Anyways, here's some more simple shit. Not my best and needs touch-ups, but today's been a long one.

[Broken External Image]:http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/7051/imag0893.jpg

7. Messer

Messer Senior Member

thanks for the crits guys it says HERPIES (like herpes). and yeah i know i need to work on my karaks alottttt, im not good at all that shit. oh and ignore the first E, i fucking hate it.

8. Shroomsh

Shroomsh Senior Member

aces? wtf is that, even when you put the letters in blue there i cant read it?? and i have a pretty abstract style myself.. my suggestion is the same as everyone else, untill you can rock a clean simple, do not try wild stuff

9. Messer

Messer Senior Member

id agree, aqnd maybe put all your letters in line rather than all over the place.

10. arsebanditskaelsucker

arsebanditskaelsucker Senior Member

Rasm- defo liking what i've seen so far
    messer- i do actually like the concept of the crazy ass chick with her feet hacked off but i think it will look better with practice, but yeah draw whatever the hell your mind feels like drawing and just keep doing it
    some of my bags of shite.....this is why i do characters better than letters....maybe i'm the kid that draws the charaters next to people pieces rather than does the letters lol
    [Broken External Image]:http://img38.picoodle.com/i574/potts/16fp_594_u905z.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img38.picoodle.com/i574/potts/16fp_2d4_u905z.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img38.picoodle.com/i574/potts/16fp_84f_u905z.jpg

11. One Evil

One Evil Elite Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
  12. aces

aces Elite Member

A compliment from the battle thread from someone's opinion I value more than yours:

SVEZAJEZA: Aces I think u needed a better photo of your sketch. its a good littles syle you got going there. THere is 3 different styles all going through this battle.

ME: Thanks Sveza! Unfortunately I didn't get to color it and my scanner was on the fritz...too bad I couldn't enter it like it is now (even though my red marker started dying on me haha):

Also I agree it isn't the best sketch I've done seeing as it's the first piece I've done in about a year...Oh and what makes you think I can't rock a simple? You haven't even seen one of them...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  13. ierkpeople

ierkpeople Member

14. DaFugg

DaFugg Senior Member

I don't think it's fair to think he influenced it. They're just simples, I got plenty of absolute garbage from befre I went to this site, and the E is the same ( plus or minus shitty extensions. I think that's the first time i bit anything and it was just because how well it went I think. I'll definately be working on condensing my pieces =)

15. DaFugg

DaFugg Senior Member

Aces, work on coloring in the lines man! I'm sure you spent time putting that thing together so when you color why isn't it as important? Your 3D is scibbled in.
    Other than that, besides being a bit abstract not bad.
    Erk, I always like seeing your drawings but that bottom bit is not so great imo.

16. ierkpeople

ierkpeople Member

17. TastyMcNasty

TastyMcNasty Elite Member

^^cool concept, would love to see that executed a bit better tho.

havent posted anything for a minute. heres a quick pen freestyle for the battle. sorry for the shit quality cant find my camera :mad:
    crits always appreciated

Photo_00019.jpg

18. DaFugg

DaFugg Senior Member

Kinda looks like BABDeB

19. TastyMcNasty

TastyMcNasty Elite Member

^ i dont see that, but youre right the O does look like a D

20. DaFugg

DaFugg Senior Member

Well, I think the 3D makes the S look like a B because the empty space actually looks like the lower half of the bar of a B. The last letter looks like a large lower case E and then the extention on it looks like a little upper case B