Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Is Graffiti Art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeSuS_KRiST, Jan 25, 2005.

Share This Page

?

Is Graffiti Art?

1. Yes

82.3%
  2. No

17.7%
  1. JudgeWizely

JudgeWizely Senior Member

This is my perspective on the "is graff art subject", it might not be logical or make sense but bear with me.

I believe that graff is art, from big pieces to little tags. The pieces are rather self explanitory, but as for tags/handstyles, whatever, I place them besides caligraphy which is a known art form.

I also believe that theres alot of hate for graff cause of the "political propoganda" that is surrouding it. Since the day the majority of us left the womb weve been bombarded with different types of advertising attempting to sell us shit we dont need. But as soon as any writers attempt to break the system and advertise in their own way it gets frownded upon. Graff (even etching/scratching) is heaps better than all that advertsing anyways

2. woakone

woakone Member

art is the product of human creativity weather that be for self gratification / expresion, to get a point across, to advertise, to tell a story, to comemorate, or simply to destroy shit...

graffiti is a creative act but the reason for which the 'artist' particitates in it is that persons own personal view and they have there own reasons for it.

in the same way graffiti is classed as a crime and it is vandalism of another persons property, beauty is as we know in the eye of the beholder, what you put up on the wall may be a masterpiece to you but the owner may not have the same view.

graffiti is a creative form of vandalism, as long as it is concidered a crime it will always fall into both catogorys. art and vandalism

i appologise for my terrible spellings.

3. AvE-

AvE- Senior Member

Tagging, piecing, ect. is definitely art. I don't write to destroy shit, and make people pay to clean it up, I write because there is nothing to look at without it. And it's damn fun. Without graffiti, a city is just brown bricks and grey cement.
    Graffiti is art for sure.

(Gang graffiti is the exception, however.)

4. alt

alt Member

i think art is any form of self expression, so yeah. graffiti is art. it may be vandalism but it's still expression. you can also look at it as calligraphy. or "performance art", b/c of the way it's made (illegally).

i have a pretty loose definition of art tho. i think anything that makes some sort of statement is "art", so for me, anything can be art depending on how u look at it.

legal graffiti is an oxymoron so that's not really an argument.

5. Epoc

Epoc Senior Member

I posted a intelligent response previously. But, the more I thought about it, I realized: who the fuck cares?
    Not, like it makes a difference to anyone here.

6. dh888

dh888 Member

I'd have to agree that tags really aren't art. Any real piece is art though. I think art is anything that takes effort and skill to produce and evokes emotion from those who view it.

7. ReKoNe~!

ReKoNe~! Banned

anything can be art, art doesnt become art because its positive or negative, it becomes art because its appealing so the person viewing it

8. b SQUARED 08

b SQUARED 08 Senior Member

This is pretty much word for word what I think about this topic. Well put :)

9. JayAyDubZed

JayAyDubZed Senior Member

Ofcrouse its fucking art.
    If its something that is put there just for the pleasure of looking at it. Then yes, its art. No matter what property it destroys or how pissed off it makes people. Its there to be viewed and appreciated by some and hated by others. Its an art form that uses vandalism aswell.

10. smesta

smesta Senior Member

Yep that one sentence by Woak pretty much sums it up.

As for Tags or pieces I dont think it matters. It more comes down to the skill and style. Just the same way someone pissing on a canvas is not art. Some toy scribbling some shaky tag or some dripped out piece on a wall is not art.

Just because you pick up a can, paintbrush, marker, pencil or piece of coal does not make you an artist, it's what you create with it that defines whether it is art or not.

11. FrEEk_nine-o-fizzle

FrEEk_nine-o-fizzle Elite Member

i think even a tag, or a bomb can be art... think about it this way...your a writer...you work endlessly the develop your tag and throw into somthing that looks good. year go into becoming a talented writer and we dont just focus on peices. i draw my throwie at least five times a day just to teweak and experiment with it. and i have whole pages in my blackbook just focusing on my hand style. i want to be a graffiti artist and a vandal. i want to be on both sides of the fence and you dont gain notice just from peicing. in fact without tags and bombs i dont thing most writers could peice

my 2 cents

12. Wankerchops

Wankerchops Member

I hope graffiti isn't art coz I've heard all artists are rubberwrists.

13. funhouseXcast

funhouseXcast Elite Member

Graffiti is definitely art.
    it is also definitely vandalism, and most certainly illegal.
    But that's what makes it almost a sport-like activity, where certain precautions need to be taken and certain things need to be overseen to be successful. If graffiti was legal, it wouldn't be as artistic. The people who do illegal graffiti do it because they have passion and a love for the art form. If everyone could do graffiti without consequence, the people who simply aren't meant to be artists wouldn't get the message that the graffiti community is NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO ABSOLUTELY BLOW. im not up in the ranks in the least, but what i do is artistic. it just pisses me off to see people who think a "fly handstyle" is when you add fucking fairy swirls to your regular handwriting, which looks like chicken scratch to begin with. My highschool is full of toys. I hate it.

14. TrandomnesstwO

TrandomnesstwO Senior Member

Artistic vandalism.My final catogory.I like both.

15. OOPS!

OOPS! Senior Member

If primitive stick figure cave drawings are art then graff is art. The thing is art doesn't have a solid definition.. music is art.. sculptures are art.. oragami is art.. it's just a matter of personal preference. But in my eyes anything that's physical and takes some kind of artistic skill is art.

16. PeeInTheShower

PeeInTheShower Elite Member

this is what scares me. how people go around calling themselves artists using the term loosely. if i decide to call a bunch of cigarette butts in an ashtray with one still half burning art, then it's art. you take a picture of a pair of shoes drying in the sun on a clothesline, it could be art, if you want to call it art. some people will go around catching hands and throws on anything and blatantly admit "this isn't art i just wanna fuck shit up" and if they don't want to call it art, i guess it's not. who's the judge here?

17. W_G_O_N_E

W_G_O_N_E Elite Member

i think the thread should of been ended right after this post couldn't of siad any simpler and better to me

18. inker555

inker555 Senior Member

So how many here have actually been busted for Grafitti? A couple bust just took place in New Orleans.

19. S!K3_NAW

S!K3_NAW Senior Member

i voted yes becuz graffiti is an art in mii mind..like at least wit me i put mii heart and soul into graffiti and i dont even like calling it that its art...i dont do it cuz i wanna distroy shyt i do it becuz i love it i love seeing my shyt up on web-sites and i love when thay destroy it and now i get to go do it again.and fuck tha web-sites to i love trying to see people match it..everything i draw paint or do has meaning behind it...and if mii shit looks like shit ill be tha first to say something...like its not jus another thing to do like soccer or collecting fuckin stamps i do it cuz its not apart of my life it is my life....

i hope no one gets offended but no disrespect i dnt give a fuck anyways

20. inker555

inker555 Senior Member

So if you got arrested and went to jail would you keep doing it when you got out?