Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Graphilosophy: Exploring how our views on life shape our graff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scipl, May 24, 2012.

Share This Page

1. 4menace2society0

4menace2society0 Banned

what the fuck is this thread
    scipl you sound like a clown
    matter fact you sound like a damn snitch

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. junkbox

junkbox Senior Member

don't mean to directly bust on you but, the majority of the world is well... in my opinion, not always a humble one, most of if not all the people that have made a difference in the world and/or done something of significance, be it artistic, scientific/technological, philosophical; whatever---they were, by their very nature, not of the majority...

I was thinking today, the biblical idea of original sin, I don't necessarily believe everyone is born fallen from grace and needs to repent in order to be that camel that fits through the eye of the needle, no.. but it occurred to me that its easier for man, mankind, to be evil, do wrong, wickedness is the default ( take a look at history if you don't agree [shit, maybe this is only, overall, caucasians, no joke] ). one has to work hard to rid themselves of the negative/"evil"...

I think you can take any dichotomy and make a case for dividing writers along those lines. you've had writers who consider their work art, and those that say 'FUCK ART' [ although I do feel a skilled writers work is art whether he/she likes it or not ;D ]. got writers who live hip-hop and those that could care less about hip-hop. writers who strictly bomb, want to smash shit, more more more!! verses writers who want to perfect their style, and shit, everything in between.

we could even divide writers among stylistic lines, three dimensional (Daim made me think of this) vs. 'traditional', abstract vs. wildstyle... I realize that black & white thinking is well, not so great, even without color theres always going to be nearly infinite shades of grey... I wonder what old Daim or any of those super-fresh western european style kings would have to say?

that quote in your signature, is that about the dude with the quad-barrel derringer in his thread? doubt you'd find an average street thug with one of those, I mean they look cool, but its my understanding the bullets actually spread out.. from 1-2 ft. away I'd assume getting shot with one of those would cause serious damage, but if you shot at a dude, I dont know, 30 ft. away, it seems they might actually travel out & around him... if guns are ones thing, I say 'dont talk about it be, about it'

{might make more sense to reply to a post in the proper order, after its been made, but since I was editing mine anyway thought I'd respond here as a sort of correction, and skip making what may be an unnecessary post}
    I'll assume, without checking, that ribcage is that dude with the gun in his sig. For all know he's the realest thug motherfucker around, and does indeed own & carry the firearm in his signature (this could go for whoevers signature its in, if not ribcage, and anyone who posts pictures of guns actually). I'd say what I was trying to do there was agree with 4menace2society0 on something after responding rather negatively to his post, balance things out ya know? not bash on any person specifically who appears to be into guns and lets us know.

i have, in my days on the internet, seen a lot of people I didn't particularly care for post pictures of guns, and definitely more than a few were just trying to look tough on the internet with a relatives probably legally owned handgun.

Whatever the case, from what I read now (and should've done before posting, sorry), the gun pictured is a COP .357, and fires each bullet seperately, so really that whole part of my post was wrong (although I also discovered that sometimes it will fire more than one bullet at once, sort of accidentally). Seems there were and still are multi-barrel weapons that purposely fire all bullets at once to cause more damage, at close range I'd think. In any case, if it is you ribcage and you really do own of these, I'd be interested to hear more about it, either here (perhaps with your thoughts on how ethics apply to carrying and using firearms, gun control, whatever), or via PM. It looks nice for sure.

As for 'if guns are ones thing.."don't talk about it be about it"', really I think this world needs less weapons, murder, but I suppose you wouldn't want someone to beat you to that, I can see if other folks are going to be about it, you might want to too.

NOTE: I took quite a few parts out of my post here, wasn't happy with it overall, I thought of removing the whole thing but, I didn't. I think the proper thing though is note what I've done (Removed part of response to scipl, removed direct response to 4menace2society0; I was actually most troubled by my words on guns, both first and second, but I've left 'cause I think they're at least somewhat significant). Also, 2 things.. 1) I don't know who the fuck ribcage is/was, but my second thing about guns still stands, in correction of the first. 2) I talked to a friend this morning about his guns, and why he has guns in general. Aside from being a fan of them in general, he sees it as preparation for some possible apocalypse, martial law, whatever. I'd guess the same, in a sense, holds true of folks on city streets, if other people, cops/gov. included, might come at you with firearms, it make sense to be prepared.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  3. deathorglory

deathorglory Elite Member

4. scipl

scipl Member

For me, I enjoyed getting up on whatever I wanted, but after a couple years, it became bland and worthless to me, I was just promoting me and my name and my crew, and it wasn't helping anyone.. and it put me at risk..(one in my crew got arrested in like 2006). It just stopped adding up to me like it has for a lot of writers, I wanted more than to just feel the same feeling over and over, I wanted to do something new with it, maybe something that helped someone else.. I realized that either way I would be painting, so I would still enjoy it... I can get joy out of lots of things other than taking the risks I was taking.. so I ventured out, I'm meeting new and different people, experiencing who they are and how they view writing, and most of all I'm looking to promote ideas that help others in this life and doing so has been new every time, It feels worth my while, it's even more enjoyable than before... but hey, this is just me, I'm not asking nobody to tell me what they think of me, honestly I don't care what you think, this thread is open to sharing ideas that you have about me or anyone else sharing ideas in here, but it's not open to sh*t-talk, because sh*t-talk gets us nowhere and doesn't explain an idea.. i liked your question Tony..

sci

5. skinaone

skinaone Elite Member

this

6. scipl

scipl Member

I don't care, this thread is what it is, read.. don't complain.. Snitches love causing problems for other people by opening their mouths about other peoples business, I don't cause problems for other people, period.. self-control is good-stuff.. I still know many writers who are into illegal work, it's their business not mine, I'm about legals and they respect that, keep your drama to your self.. this thread is for sharing our deeper thoughts and that's what I did.. if you think I'm a snitch then you just gotta bad interpretation.. I invite you to share your world-view and how your painting works into it.. share or leave..

7. skinaone

skinaone Elite Member

8. scipl

scipl Member

9. skinaone

skinaone Elite Member

or mods can delete this thread

10. "MONSTER"

"MONSTER" Member

first off im not tryin to dis you im simply stating my opinion.

if getting up illegaly got boring for u it might have been because you wer treating graff as a hobby or to prove to yourself that u could dot or maybe even to be cool if u are an artist i can respect that but you cant call yourself a writer if you criticize the toys for tryin to learn the ropes by getting up sure i think theres plenty of people hwo should practice before they even lay their hands on a can but the best way for them to start is to jumo in to the streets head first in the words of day day from next friday "players fuck up" remember where graffiti started in the streets and if u ask me cornbread didnt hav much of a stylized hand it simply said cornbread and with that he showed the world who he was and what he stood for. people get into grafftiti for alot of reasons and they also leave graffiti for a lot of reasons but wether you are active or not never look down on those who are in the same position you were a few years back.

again not tryin to talk shit just putin it out there

11. scipl

scipl Member

hey good point, personally I think toys can learn the ropes legally, I currently teach a workshop at a local skatepark where I do exactly this.. we can bomb the wall, tag it, piece it, etc., plenty of space to practice and learn the ropes. Thanks for mentioning Cornbread, you made a good point, there's a lot of reasons we do what we do, I mean if we stepped up to Cornbread right now and asked him why he did it, what would he say? I'm realizing that writers change over the years in many cases, why they write changes. I don't know why ya think I'm looking down on anyone who still paints illegally, It's just not for me for the reasons I shared, it doesn't mean I look down on those hitting up the city all over, I treat them as I'd like to be treated, bottom-line.. real-talk. And ya, thanks for stating your opinion and sharing your thoughts and not crapping out your as* in here.. respect.

12. MN Nice

MN Nice Elite Member

13. so happy together

so happy together Senior Member

Where did the letter structure go? Graff is like music now. it doesnt matter what it says aslong as it sounds/looks good. you dont have to have letters down packed anymore u can buy some fat caps do some flashy flares n ur the shit now. fuck that.

14. scipl

scipl Member

Well.. honestly, graff is what you make it, that's what it is. You can understand what I make out of it from reading my posts above. At the end of the day it's a design of some sort, and most designs are called art, and all art expresses something. If the artist doesn't have letters down and sprays some flashy flares then that's what they want to express. If someone has amazing extensions, flow, balance, 3D, etc. when they piece then that's what they want to express, and that's fine by me as long as it doesn't screw someone else over in the process. ALSO, flashy flares are cool, maybe they're popular right now because writers are pushing them to their limits and expressing tag styles differently than ever before with them. For me, a tag with flashy flares belongs next to a nice piece, a piece that expresses something helpful for others to view, think about, and take something worthwhile from. If the tag with flashy flares helps express what the piece is expressing or expands on the theme of the piece then that's great, but a tag alone just isn't worthwhile in my opinion... then again, this thread is ALL about sharing our personal opinions and learning how we all handle graff differently.. so there's my view, thanks for sharing your view in here, was good to read your raw feelings in word form..

15. scipl

scipl Member

If someone were to put my views on what spray-paint art should be, what it should express, and how it should be carried out by those of us who have the skills to paint, then, this sites (http://wall-therapy.com/about-wall-therapy/) videos would express my ideas visually... the "BELIEVE" & "Visual Intervention" projects are my views on painting manifested. Again, this thread is for sharing your view(s) on life and how they shape your present day painting- whether that be illegal/legal painting- share how you feel about painting on the wall and why you feel the way you do.. for me the videos sum it up... "inspiration," everyone needs it, and through spray-paint art I can give it.. yeah, I understand in my view that it's all about "giving"..

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  16. Theartofverb

Theartofverb Member

The idea of "getting up" is ruining graff. People are sacrificing quality for quantity. As an writer I'm trying to make people think or smile or just say "shit, that's cool" instead of just putting my name on a wall to mark territory. I love the idea of giving art to people that might have never seen or really care about it

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  17. GuyGuyer of Guyland

GuyGuyer of Guyland Senior Member

The illegal scene you find useless is the reason legal graffiti exists. If it were not for the chicken scratch or in your face throws then no one would want to look at stylized lettering. No one wants change, but if it is forced upon you with illegal graffiti then time invested legal work is much more appealing now isn't it? Don't hate the writers who paint illegally, we're stubborn and arrogant, but we paved the way for you to come in and set your ideologies on what is acceptable and what isn't.

Any life defining choice you make will shape your perspective of the world and thus will change your philosophy on life, graffiti is no different.

18. GuyGuyer of Guyland

Jesus fuck I want to punch you for writing this ignorant bullshit. You're being a presumptuous cunt with all of these "you risk" assumptions.

Did you know you risk pain or death when you get in your car to drive to work in the morning? Well, I guess if you don't drive like an idiot then it's likely you won't face that risk. The same goes for painting.

Your legal painting won't cure cancer, your illegal painting for cause it. Jesus christ I cannot believe how much of an idiot you're making yourself look like.

19. GuyGuyer of Guyland

What one person thinks as cool another may not. Your "cool" artwork may seem stupid as fuck to another while another writers tag may be awesome to the next dude.

20. GuyGuyer of Guyland

I've come to the same decision.