Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Ink Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Enmity, Feb 3, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Olick

Olick Elite Member

micheals or some online retailer.

2. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

hydrolisis being like the acid is very attracted to the mmoisture in the air, so much that it litterally speeds up the process of making rust.not account for the fact that its also reactive to some metals. and what i was wondering was if it being so attracted to the moisture would make it more watery and less buff resistant. but knowim like fuck it, no point in goin through all the trouble just to be dickin around with crazy acids that might just end up fuckin up the whole recipe, stainers ftw:D

edit:whats the differnce bettween fiebings leather dye and there edge dressing, or even, whats there best product in your guys oppinions

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  3. what4joke...

what4joke... Senior Member

from what i gathered in the recipe thread. was that fiebrings is the strongest because everyone says to use it.

4. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

no i mean what is the best product sold by fiebings in you alls opinions and why, cuz i know they have like leather dye and edge dressing, so im guessing theres more. wait actually, not just fiebings but if there is better product thats sold by griffin than whats that

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  5. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

theyre about teh same, theyre both dyes. its liek diff brands of meth blue, theyre both meth blue, but the plain leather dye is probably the best

6. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

so youve tested some of there other products?

7. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

no, but all that people add the leather dyes for is for staining. And all of the dyes are for staining, so they should all work equally well, but leather seems the least penetrable part of a shoe, like suede would be easy to stain with even cool-aid, yet leather would be harder, so im assuming leather dye would be the best. And over time people still use leather dye, so id assume that it is the best for teh job, or else people would use another type

not to mention leatehr dye is probably the easiest to find in a store

8. Siner

Siner Senior Member

just a few quick questions for you guys, i just made some ink with tremclad oilbased paint, i used one can of 237 ml tremclad paint, and then filled the half empty can with mineral spirits. how much dot 3 should i add to the finished product, thanx.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  9. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

10. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

welp, finding a store isnt really an issue to me cuz their are litterally zero shoe care stores in my city, so when ever i take the bus to meet up with meh homie in the next town, i just pick some up while im there. thanks tho, the shits been drivin me crazt on what i should get.

11. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yea just plain leather dye should be good, look in the ink recipes thread, theres a good recipie that i think half dye half pigmented, which would be great, because it wouldnt fade much and it would stain

12. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

is thta seriously how much pigment you need to make a tag fade proof??

13. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

i guess, i mean the more the better. the dye will fade, the pigments wont

14. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

yea i kno that much, i mean, i put like a slightly heaping table spoon of pigment for every two or so cups worth of ink i make. so does pigment mean that the dyes will fade uderneath the pigment or does the pigment make the dyes uv reisistant.

is there anyway to bond dye and pigment or do they bond natturally, cuz now im guessing that they have to bond tomake the dyes fade proof

15. what4joke...

what4joke... Senior Member

i got a bottle of liquid meth blue.. is that good for ink? or do you want the powder?

16. noxi

noxi Elite Member

evap it a bit.

17. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

well just adding pigments plain to think ink wont do much, becasue you need something to bind the pigments, so they dont just sink to teh bottom. But some pigments do help protect the dyes from UV rays, like titaium dioxide(white), is very good for that. but black i think absorbs light so thats not good. But the main thing is when you add pigments it makes it good for anywhere, cuz if you tag indoors its still got dyes, if its in teh sun, then its got the pigments.
    and no they dont bond.

meth blue you can add stright, but its better if you let it sit out in the sun without the cap on for liek a day, that way theres less water in it

18. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

is marsh T grade pigmented xylene based or what?

19. Olick

Olick Elite Member

i dont mean to be a douche but excuse me if im so blunt =]

1. its not ink. its paint. generally ink vs. paint is defined by the bass it has. acetone = ink. linseed oil = paint. someshit like that

2. i dunno why but its my pet peeve when people say they made something. not like u kno the chemicles tremclad uses. u just opened the can u kno?

3. dot 3 is mainly just for inks. so you wouldnt need to add anything

why? dot3 retards the drying time in ink. so in response it equals more time for dyes to react with the surface. which then equals more stain. since paint has no dye's in it theres no need to dot3. unless u want like. drips that take forever to dry =]

20. MARTYRaz

MARTYRaz Banned

happens on every fuckin page olick....no matter how many times its said,some fuck will come in here and say "i read the thread and couldnt find how much dot 3 do i add to my gk?"