Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Philisophical Concepts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tonedope, Apr 8, 2006.

Share This Page

1. boodah

boodah Senior Member

some HP Lovecraft for y'all
    The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

2. 6senses

6senses Senior Member

"Everybody lives in the same, different world"

3. Thrice

Thrice Elite Member

Some shit i wrote a while back at like 3AM when i couldn't get any sleep.

Imagination, what our childhood revolves around, an intangible state that resolves life as its constant unquestioned answers and unsolvable problems confront us. As the idea of a pure conscience and innocence become more obsolete to our grasp we elude lies and look for truth. Is the truth we seek a materialistic yearning we crave or the remedy to disarray? I find truth conspiring with lies, just another malediction to my mind. Nature becomes a canticle of reason, one unheard with an unclear conscience. Imagination’s appraisal as a child’s mind is a fallacy, just another ignorant emblem. Imagination is no more abstract than truth. Harken the cry of desperation of your imagination, let it be your mind’s shepherd.

Aside from that Im readin Machiavelli like a mother fucker, best philosophizer ever.

4. fannypack uprock

fannypack uprock Elite Member

no offense, because i think youre a funny cat, but put away the thesaurus and just write. i hear what youre saying. but id like to hear what youre really saying.

5. CrustOner

CrustOner Elite Member

Let your imagination lead you, it's just as believable as truth. Here's a breakdown.

Imagination, what our childhood revolves around, an intangible state that resolves life as its constant unquestioned answers and unsolvable problems confront us.
    -Childhood revolves around imagination, which is blissful in it's ignorance.

As the idea of a pure conscience and innocence become more obsolete to our grasp we elude lies and look for truth.
    -We lose our innocence, and start searching for "truth."

Is the truth we seek a materialistic yearning we crave or the remedy to disarray?
    - Do we want to seek truth to know that it's there, or do we seek it to destroy it, prove it false?
    I find truth conspiring with lies, just another malediction to my mind.
    - Truth is a lie, a curse.
    Nature becomes a canticle of reason, one unheard with an unclear conscience.
    - Nature is a song of reason, but you can't hear it unless you're pure of mind.
    Imagination’s appraisal as a child’s mind is a fallacy, just another ignorant emblem.
    - Imagination is worthless when you're a child, just another excuse for why you don't know things. (like God*)
    Imagination is no more abstract than truth. Harken the cry of desperation of your imagination, let it be your mind’s shepherd.
    -Imagination is no less concrete than truth. (what's with the harken bullshit? You writing a second Bible?) Listen to your imagination, and let it lead you. (yeah, definitely trying to imitate the diction of the Bible, including the word "shepherd.")

tl;dr: Listen to your imagination, let that lead you, rather than "truth."

6. Thrice

Thrice Elite Member

Don't use one man, i have a ridiculous vocab.

7. soath

soath Elite Member

well I have a lot of catching up to do in this thread, good thing it isn't give 'em to get 'em in here or I wouldn't get a chance to write at all.

I just want to point out a few things i have learned recently and the thots i had about them. One is poverty and overpopulation. They are 2 theories about poverty, one is that poor people don't work hard enough, THAT is generally untrue. tell the orphan in a 3rd world country that he isn't working hard enough as he collects tinfoil form cigarette cartons for 18 hours a ay to get .15 from a vendor for the aluminum. HE WORKS HARD, to the death, yet he is poor. why? there are a lot of reasons for that, one being... NA and Europe is less than 25% off the worlds population and yet we use more than 70% of the worlds NRG and food. the reason we do that is another idea on it's own but it all begins with The BIG Lie: some people are WORTH more than others.

Every time a person dies the GNP goes up, every time a brother goes to jail it goes up, every person that is diagnosed with cancer the GNP goes up... so with our economic system in place the GNP goes up with each tragedy in our countries.

OKAY the other theory is that overpopulation cause poverty... untrue, it has been proven that with a little education (especially women) they will not start families as soon and as ill prepared. look it up. a great book I am reading is called Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger.

the other idea is about why the people in NA and Europe are so greedy... ONe is the big lie and the other is post modernism... who ever dies with the most wins... not so. who ever has LOVe wins.

I sorta ran outta steam there but I will be sure to read up on others philosophies eventually, sorry I no this is ergonomics and economics and not really philosophy but I hope it fits here. peace

sick of all the hate

Yo Crust I just had a chance to read ur post, I agree with that in so many ways... my son is hella perceptive and yet he is cheated by tv and video games, his imagination isn't pure but his love and faith still are.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. Thrice

Thrice Elite Member

Capitalism often is the catalyst and reason for third-world poverty as well as a shitty gov't. As far as poverty in America it's most often just lazy shits that never applied themselves in life. You can easily go to the library and get a proper education and find a steady job wherever you're at. Not to mention you can get on a train and go else where incase you're living in some heavy hood.

9. soath

soath Elite Member

10. CrustOner

CrustOner Elite Member

Haha thanks, but that was all Thrice's thoughts and writings. I just broke it down so it's easier to understand.

However, I disagree with this. A lot of trade businesses are going down the drain now that the economy isn't doing as well as before. My father is a CA State-Certified Electrician, but he's been out of work for about 6 months straight now. If it wasn't for his ability to learn quickly and do odd jobs (he's a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to construction), he'd be making nothing but the money he gets from Unemployment, which isn't much.

My friend's mother went to school her entire life to be a part of the NASA program. She's being demoted because they aren't launching anything else for a while now, due to not being able to afford it. She still makes plenty, enough to support herself and two kids, but not nearly as much as she was making before.

11. Thrice

Thrice Elite Member

Yes even NASA people can lose jobs and be demoted, but with heavy experience like that you can land plenty of other well paying jobs to avoid being poor.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage. "
    -Machiavelli

12. FOCUS1

FOCUS1 Senior Member

this has got to be my favorite thread next to the herbal remedy one.
    but any who, being a Rastafarian im all about philosophy.
    it intriges the hell out of me as it should everyone.
    but being a rasta doesn't say that im not my own man.
    i make all of my own choices, thats what Rasta is all about.
    i agree that you are following another persons word, but all that other persons word is trying to tell you to do is follow your own mind and don't let others influence your thought.
    isn't that what we all should be doing anyway?
    if you take it to a technical stand point than nobody in this world can truly be themselves.
    everyone follows rules that they feel they have made for themselves, when truth be told someone in the past has done the exact same thing you have so you can't call it original.
    everything we know up until this point in our lives is because we found out through someone else, rather if it was something about us or something about them.
    so really it would be impossible for man to really "think" for himself unless we were at the beginning of time.
    or a baby perhaps.
    that is the beginning of our time isn't it?
    its not like someone told us to suck on the nipple and nutrition would come out, its just something we did.

13. FOCUS1

FOCUS1 Senior Member

they tie together because they both staged there own deaths.

14. kace91

kace91 Senior Member

Mmhh.. i think theres another way to think for yourself, and its studying to know where ideas come from.

Ill explain it with an example: a lot of people, specially old people which whas raised during the 50s, was tought to hate comunism and appreciate capitalism, as an idea. A person which doesnt have studies will think that comunism is bad and capitalism is good, just as the good and bad guys of a film...

But if you have studies (i dont mean official studies, curiosity and some books is often enogh) you can know where does each theory come from. Then, you can see that capitalism comes from the theories of Adam Smith, and comunism from karl marx, then you can read both philosophers and decide which of the ideas you prefer, whithout havin your goverment, or whoever, tellin you what to do.

15. FOCUS1

FOCUS1 Senior Member

completely understandable.
    but your thoughts have been put in your head through interactions with others.
    so how can you possibly say you "think" for "yourself" when your thoughts have came from another influence.

16. massacreman

massacreman Elite Member

well i g uess
    then you can read both philosophers and decide which of the ideas you prefer
    the decision which is made is your decision of what you think is good or bad

17. Noddles912300

Noddles912300 Senior Member

Can you elaborate on this?
    I'm going to play devil's advocate and argue that the reason NA and Europe are able to control 70% of the worlds energy and food is because they industrialized first. Also, with the scenario with the kid picking up tin-foil, yes he works hard, but he isn't productive. An unfortunate reality of the world is that hard work doesn't promise good pay.

18. FOCUS1

FOCUS1 Senior Member

what 'you" think is good or bad is because of anothers influence though.
    you develope a thought for whats good or bad from what your are told as a child to what you learn as you grow into an adult.
    neither of these can occur without interaction from another source.

19. FOCUS1

FOCUS1 Senior Member

why is it that africa has the most resources of a single nation and is one of the poorest nations?

20. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

I hate "save the humans!" rants such as this one.
    Hunger is a product of an inflated population.
    Feeding ever person in the world is NOT going to end hunger.
    It's just going to raise the population, and then even more people will be hungry.
    When a population of any animal gets too large and the food becomes scarce, the population declines by starvation. Once the population reaches the carrying capacity of the food supply, it levels off and everyone is fed. Food supply rises, everyone is fat and happy, population rises. Food supply decreases, people go starve, population decreases.
    These fluctuations are a natural occurrence in ecosystems and happen slowly.
    The solution to hunger is starvation.
    If we feed everyone, protect everyone, cure everyone, and make sure nobody dies, then we're going to be crawling all over each other.
    Fucking culture is so ignorant to the order of the natural world.