Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Can Control Problems

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by the infamous one, Oct 16, 2004.

Share This Page

1. nero112

nero112 Elite Member

thanks to kays vids i learnt how to keep shit clean n do cut backs n shit when i started painting..:D

2. Sadistic.Child

Sadistic.Child Elite Member

3. ohgawdxcarcrash

ohgawdxcarcrash Elite Member

I think the most efficient way to practice can control is just getting used to the can in your hand. I sometimes use cleaners that lay around in the house and its great for practicing can control. and you can clean as you do it so you get better can control, and a clean house.

4. Kali

Kali Member

my problem is that sometimes ill hold it a decent distance away and then without realizing, i go closer and closer to the wall. watch for that cause it might cause problems

5. ohgawdxcarcrash

ohgawdxcarcrash Elite Member

when you go closer to the wall, just make sure to move fast to avoid drips.

6. Scratch

Scratch Senior Member

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2107_2496915615_a860943868.jpg_a4f0a23c50a330cf1bf56cae6c33a893.jpg

so i have flairs down, but does anyone have any tips on how to thin your lines, like in the bottom part of this picture?

for some reason i cant do thin lines, i can only do medium ones and flare them to make them fatter.

thanks

7. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

to get the lines THAT thin its probably the cap.
    otherwise the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is practically scraping the wall with the cap, releasing pressure, and following through all at the same time.
    It would definitely take some practice to get all three of those things down at the same time.

8. noxi

noxi Elite Member

You can do it with any fat caps but it wont get as thin as that unless you use a ny fat. Ny fats are good for getting hella skinny lines like that. You just gonna move it down fast.

9. Pesky_Human

Pesky_Human Senior Member

I have been experimenting a LOT with flares. I find that a clear astro cap (the can killer) gives the best results. Huge dusty cones, and if you time it right, needle thin with no drips at the bottom. It just takes a ton of practice. It also helps if you are using a Belton or other low pressure can. Even if I empty out a bunch of the propellant from a Rusto can, it's a lot more challenging to control than a German low pressure can. The slower you can go, the better the control.

EDIT: here's an example - obviously nothing compared to those INSANE flares that keep getting posted, but just wanted to show that you can get sharp tips even with the biggest cap on the planet. I do love the clear caps...

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tbproject.org/images/flare.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  10. Pesky_Human

Pesky_Human Senior Member

Seriously every time I see this I want to throw up. FUCKING RIDICULOUS!!!

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2107_2496915615_a860943868.jpg_a4f0a23c50a330cf1bf56cae6c33a893.jpg

11. Cesk

Cesk Banned

So basically I found my favourite way of flaring is using NY Fats and Maintain paint (Unlike A LOT of mexican paint it lets you controll if you want lowwwww pressure or high pressure) so I make thin likes with the high pressure but move quickly. Most mexican paint if you spray it comes out the size of the can, no matter what so Belton Skinnies are only a fat to me D: haha

12. cans905

cans905 Senior Member

i find just switching caps can mess up my control
    so even if i alrdy used that cap that day, whenever i start using it again, i do a few test sprays to get used to it again

13. Teez-EmM!!!

Teez-EmM!!! Elite Member

do get thin clean edges: its all about how much pressure u put on the cap. u have to only pusses it down halfway then relise your finger when it gets to the end of the line so it thins out. do the same with the second line. go fast. just guess were to start realising your finger to early and u dont make the point to late and u now have a y shaped line altho u can fix that with cuts. you only put half pressure and realize a little early so you dont get a big dot typle thing were were point should be. and you get a thiner cleaner line. takes a little bit of time to get the hang of it but is key to making nice thin lines and sharp points with out doing alot of cuts.

14. KireOne

KireOne Senior Member

word. when i switch from fats to skinnys it seems like my control goes to shit. ill be goin good and my hand will shake a little and then i got a fucked up line :(

15. snap_pxc

snap_pxc Senior Member

16. bloks

bloks New Member

i find it funny,
    that although all of these manouvers may work
    and that its pretty crap to get heaps of drips,
    but its common sense to buy tins that arent high pressure,
    and if the piece is lookin fairly dump on the outline cut it back
    make it sharp as a knife,
    and use a german outline or grey dot for your outlines,
    they work magnificent,
    cheers for the thread but lad, :)
    pce

17. thethirdeye

thethirdeye Member

For the op
    try holding your can farther away from the wall
    use quick and fast movements
    and use good quality paint

18. Kimo13

Kimo13 Senior Member

as to that, u needa find a good skinny cap, and def. wait a couple minutes for ur fill to dry...at least if ur in a pretty chill spot. I had that same problem when i first started.

19. TASR

TASR Banned

fuck man, I learned my lesson last night, I did a throw witht his shitty ass no name white paint, then i did my outline and it just dripped as if I did the outline wth a mop, i was so pissed

20. markingz.

markingz. Banned

those vids sucked i knew how to paint before i watched that garbage

I can guarantee you that video was an absolute waste of his time and everyones watching it, come on guys, you cant teach can control, pick up a can and go out there and paint like hell, thats the only way your going to learn. Your gonna fuck up a few pieces and stuff, and each time you do you'll be like next time I wont do that and you'll do something differently, thats how you get control, practicing on your own. Not watching some lame tutorial by some wannabe king lol.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008