Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Graphilosophy: Exploring how our views on life shape our graff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scipl, May 24, 2012.

Share This Page

1. MASTAH_RIBCAGE

MASTAH_RIBCAGE Moderator

ah man im sorry bro, slept on this thread too long to help you out with these douchers.

And whats all this about me having a gun in my sig or some shit? I never done that... but i definetly am
    :cool:

2. snday

snday Member

3. scipl

scipl Member

well, call it what you want, I'm ignoring all the crap talk- cause it's not worth responding too.. I must say though, I will always make a serious effort to respect those who were bold with word-style spray paint art and sprayed it up wherever they wanted despite what anyone else thought about it. I did spend years of my life being bold and painting on whatever I wanted as well.. When I came to a realization that illegal painting wasn't for me anymore about 7 years later(which would be this year) I was in Atlanta and accidentally stumbled upon Totem who we can all agree expanded the 3-D style. Honestly I don't know much about Totem and who associates with him and whether or not they go out painting on whatever or they stick more to legals.. I was friendly, but Totem wasn't in a good mood when I met him so I just kept my distance while he painted ferociously to whatever music was pumping through his ear-buds. While I was watching his piece come together a friend of his (some black guy) came up who seemed to be just as serious of a painter as Totem, I shared my view on the scene and he told me his: He said that he paints to escape reality and all the crap that he has to deal with in reality, he got super offended and angry with me for sharing my view and I could tell he just wanted things his way or the highway and he wasn't going to give a crap about anything else or any other perspective on what he did. I learned through him that he and Totem were actually afraid that I was some undercover cop or some crap because a lot of writers are being busted in Atlanta for painting all over the city. I told him about the workshops I run in Florida and he thought it was real legit and then started encouraging me.. I have NO disrespect for anyone who's painting skillfully.. painting takes a load of time and effort so how could I just hate on you? I made this clear in this thread but people interpret my view on the illegal scene as if I look down on those who are deep in it, I don't, I simply am sharing my view, and in my view I don't find that it's for me for many reasons... I know I can die easily in a car wreck, but increasing risks through the way you choose to live is real and it happens to people every stinking day.. right here in my city, night clubs, people go there all innocent just expecting to not get too drunk and enjoy themselves, next thing you know someone is swinging on you cause they're so wasted and acting foolish.. if you don't go to the night club and chill at home with a friend then you don't risk the drunken-mobs annoying the heck out of you.. the idea is simple. I don't need anybody explaining what they like or don't like and calling me a cunt, cause none of that matters, what matters in here is what your views are, if writers are so weak-minded that they're just eating up my view and ceasing to paint all over then that's not my stinking problem, that's people being naive.. i mean why you wanna close this thread? If some members in this forum are enjoying it then live and let live.. and every person on this forum knows when something doesn't look "cool," even those who just started sketching letters know that their sketches look like crap and expect people to say that about them here, creating something that looks "cool" is kinda a gamble, many can think it looks cool and many may dislike it, the line is drawn when you have experienced writers saying it looks "cool," that's when you know you've got something.. I shared my blackbook work with Totem and his friend, they enjoyed seeing it, I consider that a good thing.. if they frowned and called it sh*t then I'd be taking steps backwards.. but my approach seems legit.. I always point out potential in what I see even if it looks scrappy as heck.. and to me painting is all about inspiring others with your message and/or imagery..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  4. MASTAH_RIBCAGE

MASTAH_RIBCAGE Moderator

did not read for 2 reasons. reason #1 way too long of a paragraph. reason #2 youre a fag. no one cares what you have to say, so go take your bullshit stories to a different forum

5. scipl

scipl Member

#1) you're a lazy a** if you can't read that, #2) faggot-talk is lame in a forum..... REALLY lame.. and stories are what define our lives... how come folks on the forum in other threads can share stories but I can't?!?! you're foolish.. bottom-line.. your posts stink like monkey a** .. clean it up

THIS THREAD: All of us have views on life, and these views shape how we paint, why we paint, etc... This thread is a place to openly share your ideas about painting, it can be ANY ideas... where it's heading, why you paint and what you believe shapes your purpose for painting, your feelings about the illegal/legal scene, style, etc. etc. etc... I ask that we just share our raw thoughts with words, no need to analyze each other or hate on anyone because they paint for a completely different reason than you do... if someone wants a response to the thoughts they express then ask with Private Messages or make it clear in what you post with "?'s" .. respect is universal, everyone deserves it here unless their thoughts promote unnecessary death and destruction which is obviously not worthy of respect..

6. MASTAH_RIBCAGE

MASTAH_RIBCAGE Moderator

more bullshit text that no one will read. cmon son, its the web. go somewhere else to share your super cool og graff legend stories, or start a blog. stop bumping a faggot ass thread with more faggotry.

Its like your trying to school a meteorologist on how to predict weather, when they already fuckin know. Its like, dude, shut the fuck up.

7. scipl

scipl Member

.. i'm not trying to school anyone, I'm just asking for people to share their ideas... is that so bad? I shared my ideas, others have shared their ideas too on page 1, some wanted responses from me so I responded... everything seems to be just fine in this thread except the useless posts like yours that don't contribute to the topic.. just sayin' .. that's the weather report.. deal with it and leave me alone already.. this is a forum in North America, not communist China, get off me

8. MASTAH_RIBCAGE

MASTAH_RIBCAGE Moderator

this is a canadian forum you dumbfuck. you like to come here and post retarded things so people can call you a retard? well then by all means keep posting, cause ima be here to call you a retard as long as I have the internet

9. scipl

scipl Member

well bump all the smack talk, I just wanna say that I really enjoyed reading the thoughts that aaesoo, MONSTER, lakim shabazz, so happy together, Theartofverb, and GuyGuyer of Guyland posted so far, like I mentioned earlier we all view things a little differently and it's nice to read raw uncut thoughts about graffiti from those who create it.. I invite others to share in here on this topic.. just be ready to :) at Ribcages useless retard talk.. seems it's here to stay..

10. Tempa

Tempa Member

scipl your views are biased and you are an arrogant fuck.
    you are a unlikable person
    maybe thats why you "lost friends"

11. scipl

scipl Member

.. Tempa, thanks for nothing... you just told a person over a forum that they're unlikable.. lol.. and honestly i've gained more friends.. I facilitate a workshop at a skatepark and teach folks how to paint.. and doing so has opened up my life to a ton of people.. My views are bias? Bias means that my views are in favor of one group over another.. to the point that it's unfair.. well, this will be the 3rd time that I ask you to quit being arrogant in here and having trouble with how others view painting.. instead realize that I don't treat anyone who paints any differently- but all the same, I shared my personal view, it belongs to me, and I made that clear, I don't paint anything that I'm not given permission to paint on, that's it.. I've shared videos, stories, etc. explaining my personal stance, it has nothing to do with bias and favoring one group over another, it's just me and my own exploration, if you take offense to it so much that you have to name-call and toss out foolishness at me then who's being arrogant?.. if folks would just stop exaggerating and making their feelings about my views such a big deal.. if instead you all would share your own views on painting then this thread would be decent again.. :confused:

12. scipl

scipl Member

honestly Tempa you sound like someone I used to paint all over random stuff with, if you are.. then realize that this is a forum, if you come to one of my workshops on Sunday i'm not just gonna be some dumb-ass trying to shove all this philosophy down your throat, I understand that to properly conversate with someone you talk to them based on what they're interested in hearing.. I focus on can-control and techniques at the workshops, if someone asks me deeper questions about my painting lifestyle then I "briefly" explain my view, I've learned that respect is key, even in conversation... If someones face twists all up and they get uncomfortable with me then I don't bring it up again unless they show an interest again, I share my views in here freely in detail because it's a "forum" .. that's what this place is for.. you silly folks treat it like real-life.. please.. wake-up..

13. junkbox

junkbox Senior Member

What I do here, if anyone gives a single fuck, let alone two or more, about the " JunkBox(R) Single Reply to Many Posts Using Trimmed Quotes(TM) Response Method ", is briefly read each post, hit 'Reply with Quote' and cut the text sometimes with a brief note on what I wish to say. When I get to the end of the new posts, my clipboard contains a sort of outline of what it is I want to respond to, this time I cut from the bottom and moved to the top so I'll be responding in backwards order (I haven't done this before so they may be out of order, I don't suppose it matters much).. Now I'll fully read the quoted posts, trim them to the content relevant to my opinions for the moment that I wish to express, then I'll wrap it all up and hit the ol' Post button... so, without further delay;

no junkbox? I see how it is (I see through my own eyes how I think it is)

I don't recall, perhaps its quoted in this post later below (if so I'll scroll back up here and correct accordingly), did ol' RIBCAGE call you a useless retard or are you saying that his text is akin to that of a useless retard? Certainly raw & uncut, I'll say that much, and I'd imagine he is an actual graffiti writer (no doubt a more active one than myself, his comments short perhaps because he's busy doing actual things?)

Right on!

I'd be interested to know if you really think this was 'accidental'? If by 'accident' you mean without conscious intent, sure, but if you mean randomly then, I just wonder what your thoughts are on potential spiritual significance of this event, if any...

Painting, this all just my opinion of course, everything I say here anywhere here unless otherwise stated is my opinion. Painting illegally, I find its incredibly cathartic ya know? Shit is stressing me out, I drank a bunch of shitty wine with a brain damaged mentally ill person in the neighborhood and find myself furious with my present life and everything going on, I go out and cause a little destruction and it makes me feel better, even happy, optimistic...

I'm wondering like... did you run into 'Totems Friend' as you put it, later somewhere in Atlanta? I just don't get how this came together... I do think its cool you offer kids a bit of uhmm... well the workshops, some background and direction, open them up to a different means of expression.. and its a way to sieze power, one's own potential (not power in the sense of something you can use to rise to a position where you can exploit the downtrodden for personal benefit).. ya know, born out of poverty its a tool for the poor (now, be it poor in the traditional financial way, or spiritually broke, or lacking self-confidence.. whatever it may be) to have a voice.. I've stated awhile back what I think about the legality or lack thereof when it comes to all this..

pointing out the potential, that positivity & optimism, thats dope to me... When I first started I'd think every new better thing I did was dope, I didn't have too many if any at all accomplished writers in my area to bounce shit off of. at any point I can look at most of the stuff I sketched 2 months previously and think its garbage compared to whatever I may be doing at that times now.

I just ran into some kid at the store an hour or so ago, in our brief conversation self-worth came up... just cause one experienced writer doesn't think your shit looks cool doesn't mean another wont.. I feel that perhaps its not about it looking good but it having, as you said somewhere, potential.. merit... I don't know man, I'm just ranting now but, a dope writer giving you props on a piece or whatever, thats a good boost in self-esteem

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  14. junkbox

junkbox Senior Member

I haven't been around long enough to have a really accurate, quality answer to this post artofverb, but I think theres always been people that like smashing shit even if its sloppy in contrast to people who are.. perfectionists, kinda... piecers vs. bombers, whatever. I think I've mentioned in these forums somewhere before, I really appreciate a 'well-rounded' writer, someone whos taken time to gain skill with handstyles/script, throw-ups, pieces.. all kinds of shit (I'm not one of these people).. I can say, and you might agree, I see a lot of IMO ugly, sloppy, terrible letters in throwups and I'm not with it

I feel the need to share this view; some people calling you a fag, I mean thats part of their view on who they think you are, this thread, legal painting vs. illegal, whatever... I guess maybe, try to keep an open mind, I can say this to myself anyone, try to keep an open mind and if you think you're open minded try to be more open minded... second guessing oneself isn't always a bad thing as long as it doesn't detract from your overall goal...

I could say each piece (not specifically a masterpiece piece, more as in an individual offering) is like a snapshot of a point in a writers personal evolution... if a dudes letters suck but they got some dope flares, maybe thats just where they're at... its cool to see some younger friends I've had, see their evolution over the years when it comes to skill & style and all that.. sometimes I think whats expressed is just a persons quest (be it to master an art or take control or, could be anything)

i guess that saying 'it is what it is' comes into play (a tag alone could express the fact that someone want to be known, perhaps we could go deeper and hypothesize that its evidence the writer, feels powerless or something, wants notoriety) . Maybe I don't understand 'expression'... if you just fell in love and you paint these like, happy positive bright colored pieces or... you're at the moment into physical intimacy or something and your pieces reflect that with references to visceral shit, sex organs or something... if you're sad and you paint horrible shit, if you feel powerless and next to your piece quote a line that describes how you're feeling, if you're furious and choose a legible word for that and paint in whatever angry colors are to you... I see that as expression

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  15. scipl

scipl Member

thanks for sharing your thoughts junkbox, refreshing

16. Arose.One

Arose.One Elite Member

holy fuck, i thought i was curious about this thread. turns out it's just some ego inflation trip by an upper middle class white kid. would have been cool if cats summed their shit up in aphorisms. just saying, reading page long posts by some cat who's been painting for 8 years and who's pieces still look like grade school shit, i don't care about the philosophy behind your street painting, your pieces still look like curly turds... we came on here for graff talk, i read sartre, nietchze, and wittgenstein when i want to think. dude, i'm all for free speech, so i think i'll steer clear of this thread. peace

17. scipl

scipl Member

this thread is what you make it.. feel free to share whatever thoughts you want about graff or street art, whatever you want to call it. I haven't had someone personally tell me that my style looks like turds.. and honestly if it does look like turds then maybe you could offer me some pointers..? If you want though we can battle on paper and decide? I admit that I haven't painted a whole lot and that I can't paint my style yet, if I show my work to other painters and they seriously think it's decent and that I'm very decent on paper then that counts for something and tells me something. I'm never gonna tell you that your work looks like turds.. I may say you're using bad color combinations, your letter style is weak and choppy and your 3D isn't in perspective.. people who talk junk about others used to have a super junky style themselves.. if you don't care to share your views on life and how your views on life determine how you will paint in this life then move on.. but if you wanna come in here and talk trash then I will call you out cause talking trash just wastes space in here and wastes peoples time who actually want to read our philosophies... you can go ahead and keep your philosophy to your self, or share your ideas so that others can understand you and enjoy knowing how you go about painting and living.. yes?

18. skilligan

skilligan Member

Writing doesn't need a philosophy. It isn't street art. Jesus, guy. Its people writing on stuff. Why can't it be left at that? There's no call to come on here and make it into a heartwarming childrens activity. Also, you teaching a bunch of kids about writing in your little workshops, contributes to the decline of a subculture that is already on life support. Tell me why you are doing it at all when you even said yourself that you can't paint??

I second the motion to shut down Mr. Rodger's artfag appreciation thread

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  19. Arose.One

Arose.One Elite Member

i dropped my personal philosophy by saying that philosophy should be outside of the sphere of graff. you are excluding a whole range of ideas by saying that the point i made has nothing to do with what this thread is about. way to go... graff is a form of typography, you want to engage in a discussion about the semiotics of typography, go for it. otherwise... Philosophy has nothing to do with graff. i think the majority of cats in here would tell you that they write to explore freedom of creativity. thinking about what creates the drive to destroy (or mark a surface with your name) too hard would kill your drive to continue fucking shit up. go work for the government...
    ^p.s. this seems like a street art thread to me too.
    i would be happy to battle you, i hope the mastah can choose a word for me to destroy with my shitty color combos, weak perspective, and poor letter form, and for you to turn into a four foot long, thin, curly turd or whatever it is you think is good letter form.

20. scipl

scipl Member

so.. everyone has a reason "why" they paint.. you don't just paint for no reason.. If you think about it for at least 5 minutes you will realize while sitting there why you choose to paint.. we all view our world in some way, it's unavoidable, we can't help but view the world around us a certain way and do what we do in it for some certain reason... This reason is called your philosophy.. You all seem to think you can just dance around it, but you can't.. If you don't want to share though then I don't care! If you do want to share, then share and quit wasting space with reasons why this thread shouldn't be here! It's here! ugh.. I can paint, not extremely well but I can pull basic fades, fills, 3D, etc. I teach a beginners workshop nothing advanced, now on paper I can do way more, but at the skate park we paint a wall... all I see you doing is analyzing why I started this thread.. well.. this thread has already started and people have already shared their ideas and views and how these ideas and views affect the reason they paint.. I don't need you to analyze me and piece me apart and put your assumed understandings of who I am all over this thread, because NOBODY GIVES A !KCUF ..what people do like to read about is our thoughts, your thoughts, not your thoughts about me... ugh..