Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photography

Discussion in 'Picture gallery' started by Fube, Dec 20, 2007.

Share This Page

1. walkingcarpet

walkingcarpet Senior Member

Yeah, the eclipse last December.

2. SAID

SAID Moderator

3. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

4. SAID

SAID Moderator

5. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

my camera is awkward as helll with the battery grip i can never use it with without one
    i dont know how i used it without out.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  6. Kao.Ali

Kao.Ali Senior Member

I cant use a battery grip. the vertical shutter release is nice though.
    anyway, anyone owned/used the Sigma 85 1.4? I love my 50 1.4, but the 85 is as much as a 135mm f2 L.
    also selling my 60mm 2.8 macro.

7. dinedgc

dinedgc Elite Member

got a 35 rc for christmas from the folks, only shot one role on it so far, this has to be my favorite shot, i know its cliche, but i like it, the only editing was cropping

View attachment 599838

8. .A.K.4.7.

.A.K.4.7. Elite Member

If your using Nikon I'd just save a bit more for the nikkor 85 1.4. Sigma lenses feel cheap and are built badly. (I know this from experience) The nikon is tough as fuck and trust me you won't be wanting to sell this lens so in the long run you will save money not having to sending it back to sigma to get repairs done etc etc.
    I can't speak for canon lenses but all canon shit feels cheaper to me than nikon gear anyway really.

It's by far my favourite lens I have ever used... flick the 60mm macro photography is for toys.
    If I were you I'd sell the 50 1.4 and the 60mm for the nikkor 85. The 85 is great for everything. If I were you I'd own a wide lens, eg, 18 or 21mm, a long lens like the 85, and cheap f./1.8 or f/2 manual focus 50 for the rare occasion that you'd need it. These go for like $60 on ebay.

Are you shooting full frame? cos remember the 85 will become nearly 130mm on a cropped sensor camera. Thats quite long. If your using a 50 on a cropped sensor camera then you are effectively shooting 75mm anyway... so why an 85 in that case?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  9. Kao.Ali

Kao.Ali Senior Member

I shoot canon. they only make a 85 1.8 and 1.2 (which is totally out the question because its 2 Gs) I'm aware of the crop factor (I have a 7D). I'm renting a 135mm f2L and borrowing a 85 f1.8 for a concert this weekend to see which focal range feels better to me.
    I'm getting the lens mostly for stage shit because I use my 50 for portraits. and yes, the 60mm was the first lens I bought and I never use it besides to take pics of weed.
    I own a 10-20 4-5.6 and a 30mm 1.4 (from sigma which really isnt all that bad IMO).
    Your right about most canon glass feeling cheap. anything besides their L lenses and a few primes don't inspire a lot of confidence in me when I hold them. But my boss shoots canon and has all sorts of pricey glass I get to play with as long as I shoot canon too.

10. kmcdon3960

kmcdon3960 Elite Member

what sort of concert are you going to, and how close will you be getting?

I ask this because I find that closeups of people on stage are extremely boring for me to look at. I prefer closer wider shots. Of course if it's a big show and you can't get close you'll probably have to go long. I have the 10-20 sigma also and I'm actually pretty happy with it's build quality. It feels better then my non-L canon stuff. It's the only sigma I own, but I've heard it's really a gamble with them. Maybe I just got one of the good ones.

There's some great m42 85's that are stupid cheap like the jupiter that will fit on your canon, but it's going to be almost impossible to focus that at a dark show unless you change your focus screen.

tl;dr: try go get as close as possible and ditch the tele's unless you absolutely need them.

11. .A.K.4.7.

.A.K.4.7. Elite Member

Maybe you need a 70-200 2.8? good to have zoom range for concerts since you are mostly in cramped photographer pits and cant move around too much.

Oh and PS, clients usually want tight shots of the lead singers etc... easier to place in their magazines etc rather than large wide shots where the subjects are quite small in the overall composition...

12. kmcdon3960

kmcdon3960 Elite Member

oh right... clients..... Forgot this is for work
    I don't think in terms of what clients want :D

13. .A.K.4.7.

.A.K.4.7. Elite Member

14. Kao.Ali

Kao.Ali Senior Member

I have a 70-200 2.8 is at my disposal. Its a great lens but too big for indoor stage stuff without a tripod. I mostly use a 70-200 2.8 and a 24-70 2.8 for stage stuff unless lighting is really an issue and need the extra 2 stops of light.

Plus it'd be nice to own some more glass instead of borrowing it all the time. Def not fucking with Jupiter stuff for anything moving decently fast though.
    IDK what AK's talking about as far as sigma. yes, some of their lenses are crappy, but they have some gems too. I love my 10-20 and my 30 1.4 does me okay too.

and kc, I've already made the mistake of trying to do stage work with a wide lens. everything looks tiny. the 10-20 makes people look like ants.

Ken Rockwell is a total goober but he talks some good shit sometimes
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm

15. kmcdon3960

kmcdon3960 Elite Member

I think he's probably referring to older sigma with the red ring, that shit was junk. The newer stuff with the gold ring is much better.

The 10-20 is useless unless you're shooting landscapes or shoving it in people's faces. I wouldn't reccomend it for stage work. The 30mm would be good if you can get close enough.

This was shot with the 10-20 @ 10mm, like a foot in front of her. And it's cropped.

[Broken External Image]:http://rapidhate.org/images/20110109002218_slamdance.jpg

16. dinedgc

dinedgc Elite Member

damn....i lost it

17. .A.K.4.7.

.A.K.4.7. Elite Member

Nope. My 15-35 or whatever the fuck it is, (gold ring) the worst lens I've ever owned. I was given it so thats the only reason I still have it.
    Shit build quality, its only sharp in the centre at every aperture and it feels like shit.
    Fuck sigma.
    Fuck the world
    wolf gang

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  18. .A.K.4.7.

.A.K.4.7. Elite Member

loser

19. .A.K.4.7.

.A.K.4.7. Elite Member

20. lakim shabazz

lakim shabazz Moderator

BAHAHA those are the fuckign dumbest pair of boxers ever
    for the people that dont know in prison wearing your pants half off your ass means you get down on the homo tip
    now american eagle jumpin on the bandwagon since these trendy hipsterhop kids already do it target the white suburban kids now. best believe these clothing companies know where pants saggin originates from.
    ai55.tinypic.com_2r46icg.gif
    ai54.tinypic.com_20pobk6.jpg
    might of posted these but fuuuck it.