Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

What's The Best Drawing Advice You Evr Got?

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Idealeyez, Apr 9, 2005.

Share This Page

1. Faymos

Faymos Senior Member

TWO rules to being a successful artist:
    1. dont give out your adivce

2. ianking

ianking New Member

Honestly the best advice i got was none, do as you want to do not what others want :/

3. junkbox

junkbox Senior Member

This is some advice I've thought of giving, and it seems pretty sound;

Take your signature, or handwriting. Draw some basic letters(for beginners here I guess)... if you find yourself naturally more prone to straighter lines, sharper angles, work that into your style... if your more into curves, work with that..

I'd be interested to know whats though of this advice...

4. ChemDawggyJohnson

ChemDawggyJohnson Senior Member

5. ChemDawggyJohnson

ChemDawggyJohnson Senior Member

and im paraphrasing this one but " like a diary is to an adolescent girl, thats what your sketchbook is to you. but it's gotta be one of those really torn emotional adolescent girls

6. G_CAL

G_CAL Senior Member

My best tip's are just to draw some random line's and you'll eventaully make your own character

7. junkbox

junkbox Senior Member

damn dude thats very uhm... reminds me of Martial Arts or something, the writers equivalent of push-ups on the knuckles or repeatedly punching pots of stone? Really cool advice. Rigorous training.

Awesome quote! As awesome as your user name, whatever it means its got this aura of cool ((if you detect sarcasm my bad, meant none))

JB is gonna take this advice, I still suck at characters...

Keep it simple was/is one I heard a lot. Not so sure I took that advice. I found for drawing it helped to do a lot of handstyles then outline with a thin pen to practice cleanliness, and adding 3Ds. Sometimes I think maybe it'd be good to suggest 'if you're gonna bite, bite locally', thinking preservation of a city/regional style is a good thing in this era of global communication... yet I'm sure most would say the better advice is DON'T BITE.

I've always admired a well-rounded writer, you know?, dope handstyles, nice characters, solid throwups and tight pieces, good with the blackbook & the cans (I see the Brazilians and I read in an All-Nation article Peruvians, for two, are quite skilled with bucket paint also)... I can't say I'm one of these myself, but some more advice would be to [HOLY SHIT! my box got unplugged and my post was Auto-Saved~] develop all the skill you can at every aspect of this. Not limiting one's-self to one word/4-5 letters, trying all 36 characters (haven't tried much Arabic yet) has been nice for this writer.

8. ealkrab1er

ealkrab1er Member

I'd say 30 minutes a day

9. ealkrab1er

ealkrab1er Member

And the longest I have ever drawn for was 2 hours I'd also recommend listing to music while you draw what ever genre you prefer

10. lilbmxking

lilbmxking Senior Member

"you arent good unless you can draw a PERFECT star" is what i tell all my learnies

just something for hype

11. Turb0

Turb0 Member

+1 totally agree

12. ryda

ryda Senior Member

best advice i got was to start again! go simple! go light so u can change parts you dont like or add what you want in. it deffo made a differance been drawin nonstop since then lol had more ideas, its easier to add something in and remove if it dont look right than to remove a whole load of shit!!

13. ILUVCASH

ILUVCASH Senior Member

Go slow and erase every single line you dont like as soon as you notice its bad, focusing on making every line exactly what you picture in your head helps

14. indyvet

indyvet Member

it dont matter mabye he want to get sothin with the point chill out i aint hurting no one that hes posting and making threads.

15. Okse

Okse Member

From personal experience, no matter how much people say it. Practice does make perfect.

16. SevenStickers

SevenStickers Member

Keep your own style and just practice!

17. SEAK_CAPSS

SEAK_CAPSS Member

i got this as tattoo advice not drawing advice but it applies in both.. dont stop a line till the end.. and if you do start at the other end ( where you should have stopped) and overlap where you originally stoped just a little bit.. not really too big of a deal if you dont do fallow it as a rule but it helps me alot

18. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel Senior Member

Take your time and notice any mistakes (things you don't like or don't seem right) focus on what you're looking for in your drawings. Also, practice makes perfect.

19. AND

AND New Member

The most helpful advice I ever got was "Sit down, shut up, and turn on some goddamn music. You're never going to get better unless you try, and tomorrow you'll still be shit, but you'll be better then you are today."

20. mefisto

mefisto Senior Member

Well it sounds weird but get your smartphone, go on camera, and take a pic of your drawing then see it on your phone...the pic will be smaller so your mistakes will be more visible