Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Ink Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Tools and tips' started by Enmity, Feb 3, 2008.

Share This Page

1. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

^lighter fluid is liek heptane and naptha and stuff,
    i mean the fluid INSIDE DISPOSABLE lighters is butane. actually some non disposable too. but butane comes in an aerosol can.

and for streakyness is it lik beading up or just streaky.

2. Olick

Olick Elite Member

^^he says its streaky. hes affraid to thicken in up cuz he thinks itll bead up. "i think"

CHEMISTRY 101

wanna kno what butane is liquid in lighters but comes out as gas?

well today your gonna learn the wonder of "pressure"
    can you say it? PREH. shure

basically what pressure does is sort of slows down the molecules of w/e substance. it slows it down to the point when the molecules arent going fast enuogh to past the evaporation point. the molecules turning into a gas and the molecules turning into a liquid have reached equilibrium. thats why your bic lighters are full of liquid and empty space "ZOMG!"

so how does it go to a gas? well kids. i dare you to get a bic lighter and start cutting away. as soon as you break through youll notice a large amount of gas exit. and ALL of the butane evaporating away. so in the end. youll be left with an empty bic lighter.

so. pressure. they pressurize the bic lighters to the point where the butane molecules are pressed to tightly togather that they form a liquid. and when pressure is released "when you press the lighter" pressure decreases and thus the liquid naturally turns into a gas.

the end. im lazy now. gbye

3. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

huzzah
    even tho i dont really see how thats relevant
    but yah olicks got it right ,my inks streakyon metal n shit now, but if i thicken it up im afraid itll bead
    idk and i cant think right now
    getting off peace

4. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

no if its thiker itll be nice, i dotn see how a thin ink would streak, unless by streak you mean like not opaque.

5. Olick

Olick Elite Member

maybe he has a different specification of thin?

compare it to milk?

btw. it helps a WHOLE lot more if you tell us the recipe so we can help.

no im not tryin to steal it. just saying. knowing whats in it helps alot more then just saying it looks streaky.

6. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

yah well its a pretty basic recipe

-120 black pens
    -1 1/2 cups of prpl pvc primer
    -1 tblspn non-acetone based nail polish remover
    -1 cap 99% isopropyl alc
    -a heaping tblspn of lamp black suspended in 3 teaspns of baby oil before added
    -4 drops dot3
    -2 teaspns ebony woodstain
    -1 teaspn extra fine sugar dissolved in2 teaspns of iodine tincture
    -1 pack black cherry kool aid
    -1 teaspn methylene blue and 5 drops malachite green(both unevaporated)
    -1 tblspn pilot ink
    -2 tblspn fiebings black leather dye
    -1 bottle of "wild plum" colored adirondacks alcohol ink

yep think thats it. and its not really all that bad its just that... ughh. i guess its kinda like if youve ever wrote withone of those phuckass sharpie magnums on a street sign of some sort and you can see the mark clearly but you can tell the full color didnt come out and isnt really opaque at all. like if you were writing with a pilot

::edit:: have you guys ever heard of this stuf called party blue?? yesterday i walked in this pool supply store and asked the people up front if they had methylene blue out of curiosty and they pointed me to that shit like "well idk exactly maybe that shit over ther". no i wasnt planning on racking it after i asked for it, it was just for reference. smartasses. but yeah they came in like 8 oz bottles in stead of those little baby ones you can find at pet stores sometimes. it was for like dyeing water blue i think. google it

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. fredom-writer

fredom-writer Senior Member

every thing except the baby oil. just put the lamp black in alone

8. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

well hett said that you cant just put pigment in ink with out suspending it cuz it absorbs light and actually makes it fade faster. i didnt get it either but i took his word for it, he said that india ink uses shellac to suspend theirs but i found that baby oil works better for acetone bases

9. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

i dont know about baby oil to suspend it ahha

10. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

wtf when i pmded you , you said it was all good??

me;
    "k, i think i figured it out
    so today i was making some pigment as usual, ya know burning the baby oil. than i thought that it would be wotrh testing if the mineral oil in it would work as a supennder.
    not only did it suspend the pigment, but as sonn as i dropped the pigment in there it immediately conformed and i barely even had to mix it up. plus it mixed with the primer.
    the only thing about it was that the color didnt really stick to the surface, i wasnt sure if that was normal or not cuz the flax seed oil pigment i tested did the same thing.
    actully they were almost identical in how they reacted besides that the pigment blended faster in the baby oil. so am i onto something or no"

hett;
    "how do you use the baby oil to make lampblack anyways?

and thats good, but what do you mean didnt stick to the surface? liek could you rub it off and it came off on your finger?"

i left out the rest of the convo and couldnt figure out how to put the quotes around it but there ya go , straight out da pm's

p.s. when we wer saying that the color didnt stick to the surface. i just didnt have enough pigment comparitive to the baby oil and it looked dilluted cuz of it

11. fredom-writer

you burn baby oil to make smoke soot and collect it from some aluminum above it. to make lamp black...

but you dont add babyoil to you ink, and you dont add flax oil either. once i accidentally did that cuz i confused it with fish oil (same container). it leaves droplets on the surface of the tag that dont dry. i have a picture but i think youll understand.

ive always put lampblack directly into the mix

12. fredom-writer

and usually when you hear words with oil in it...
    oil based paint
    mineral oil
    baby oil
    that usually means it stays on the surface(the opposite of stain)

13. MARTYRaz

MARTYRaz Banned

is the shit in fish tank filters carbon and how do i mix it in to an alcohol based ink??? i have a shit ton of this carbon...

14. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

well the acetone definately keeps it from floating around the top and its also not even very much oil, its just enough to make thepigment into liquid form. whatever, i just did it cuz hett said to find a suspender and i did. i guess ill just run a fade test and see how it goes with one baby oil and one without

its alright we cleared that up in th next message

and you can use flax seed oil as a drying retardant but you have to put a considerable amount of acetone in there if your ink is alcohol based. thats why i just use dot3. simpler easier and it mixes with alc actn and oil

15. tiny tim

tiny tim Senior Member

so im guessing you tried it already and it didnt work. did you grind it???

16. PegCityBoy

PegCityBoy Senior Member

i asked a few times but never really got a straight answer.

i got a bottle of witches brew but i broke the lid so i can't really seal it right. and for anyone who's used WB, you know it's thick as a mofo, so is there a way to thin it so i can throw it in a mop or somethin

woodstain?

17. fredom-writer

thats a retarded question, thin it with alcohol or acetone.

and tiny tim, can you post pictures of flax seed oil used to slow drying time? cuz im almost 90% it dosent work

yeah i guess theres activated carbon in fish filters, the lady at the petstore was explaining that to me when i was buying malachite green i needed to take it out. i dont know how you got a lot of it. but you can take a little cup put acetone or alc in it, add the carbon as it is and see if it disolves

report back on where you got, "alot" of carbon, and if it dissolved. that way you can contribute to the thread.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  18. Olick

Olick Elite Member

wow. this page is hardcore.

people are actually talkin about inks haha =]

19. provinT13

provinT13 Senior Member

Forget it. I was more or less asking for an opinion on **** you idiot.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  20. fredom-writer

your asking on an opinion on ****... im the idiot

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009