Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photography

Discussion in 'Picture gallery' started by Fube, Dec 20, 2007.

Share This Page

1. UpstateHate585

UpstateHate585 Elite Member

shittt. i know im gonna get a new one torn for this, but i have been looking into other cameras other than the d40. i was set on the d40 until i really started thinking about the lense compatibility and stuff. are there any good lenses out there that i might need/want that i wont have to manually focus? im only really concerned about autofocus when im shooting shows. i wont have time to manually focus.

2. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

Get a d80 or d90 then. gonna be more saving though. Things like cheap 50mm lenses for portraits and older cheap lenses are manual focus.

3. sHoRTiE...

sHoRTiE... Senior Member

anybody shot with a kodak disc 3500?

4. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

Wow, no. Looks fucking cool though although I doubt you could find the disks these days?

5. UpstateHate585

i was looking into a d80. i dont mind manual focus for portraits. i am just tryin to think of shows and stuff. will i really need any other lens for them? a fisheye is cool but not needed. what kind of lenses do i have to look for for the d40? what ones have the motor in them?

6. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

ANY lens that says AF-S in it's name. or G. Anything that says D needs a motor to autofocus. Basically any lens that has a little switch on the side that says A or M will work on your D40.

7. UpstateHate585

alright thanks bro. you've been a big help. sorry for being a pain. what was the main point you recommended the d40 for shows for? faster flash sync speed or smthing?

8. UpstateHate585

9. Werse

Werse Elite Member

D40 battery grip for $35.
    Not bad...
    ag_ecx.images_amazon.com_images_G_01_ciu_8b_69_a221e03ae7a0db271924f110.L.jpg

10. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

Yeah, fast flash sync speed. Faster than any other nikon even the D3.

can use flash at up to 1/500th shutter speed which is pretty fast!

11. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

12. UpstateHate585

ive been looking into the d80 which i think has a flash sync speed of up to 1/200. it seems a lot from the d40. but i remember perve tellin me that if i get some crap the suffices but will want something different, i will end up spending twice the cash getting the nicer stuff in the future.

im thinking i will eventually need some nicer lenses and most of the ones that autofocus with the d40 are hella expensive. does flash sync speed matter that much?

also, i am trying to prioritize what lenses i'm gonna want in the future so i can start looking now. i will most likely be shooting band promos, portraits, and live shows. seeing as im still learning about what does what maybe you guys could help me pick out some lenses.

for live shots i figure i would want a faster lens, i saw a 50mm f1.8. would that be good? im still kinda lost on the "mm" stuff. and band promos i would use the same lens as the portrait/model shots and possibly a fisheye.

sorry for nagging, just trying to make sure i get the right shit

edit-perve, let me come live with you? haha looks nice as hell there

13. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

Flash sync matters if you want to freeze movement at night. (EG, freezing a singer jumping into the crowd or something) If you have a slow sync speed, he will be a blurr when using flash. So it does matter to you. Nikon from now on will NOT be making lenses that are not compatible with the D40. So don't worry about that. EVery new lens from now on will be completely compatible with your D40, even the pro lenses. It's only lenses from back in the day that won't auto focus. But auto focus isn't everything anyway, it's a luxury. If I were you, I'd buy a D40, keep the kit 18-55mm, and buy a 50mm f/1.8AF-S for low light when you can afford it.
    That is all you need for now. Once you understand more about photography and why you need a better camera, you can get a better camera. No point getting something you know nothing about.

I'm not answering anymore. Buy a D40. If you are that cut up about it, buy a D90, but you will sacrifice your maximum shutter speed for use with flash if you do so.

14. UpstateHate585

haha thanks sorry for the constant questions man. and thanks for answering them. Also thanks on clearing up the lens thing.i just didnt want something that might limit me in the future.

15. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

Nope it won't. Canon's EOS system was good from the start and had the focus motor on all its lenses, but it fucked over anyone that owned their manual focus system and had to sell all their gear and switch over. Nikon chose to keep their manual focus lenses being compatible, and that is why only now are they switching over to the canon system.

16. UpstateHate585

17. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

The 35mm F/1.8G is the one you want. Save for that.

18. PERVERTO

PERVERTO Banned

ashashinki.com_shop_images_VOIGT_BSS_R2A_MBLK.jpg

Bought this as a beat up camera for my new years / holiday period. Fuck carrying the leica round when im constantly drunk.

Found one used for 250$US. What a steal!

19. UpstateHate585

i love the way that and the leicas look. they have a simple yet classy look

20. kmcdon3960

kmcdon3960 Elite Member

you got the auto?
    I dropped one of my electro 35's on the pavement when I was shooting a show tonight
    everything seems to be fine though, tough bastards those cameras